To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How to Set up Portforwarding & Static IP Reply thread.

I am new to this except following instruction to make it work. In the end of doing everyone has said, I still have an orange light and slow dl speed. Please let me know what I have to do to bring the dl up to speed.

Thanks!

Glad there are many experts here... Mine is a wireless router modem(2 in 1), model is Tactio Altera 04G.

I followed the steps in the guide but my device is not listed in portforward.com. Can someone advise what I can do from here? I did find the 'Virtual Server' tab in the default config. page, not sure what to do with it though. Appreciate anyone's help, Thanks!

You're telling the router to open a port, but it will only do that for a specific computer as identified by its IP address. That computer has to be one that's on your LAN - i.e., connected to your router. Otherwise the router can't route traffic to it.

Use the static IP you were told to set up for your computer in the instructions.

Hi Kluelos, mine is a wireless router modem, model is Tactio Altera 04G.

I followed the steps in the guide but my device is not listed in portforward.com. Can you advise what I can do from here? I think the 'Virtual Server' tab in the default config. page might be useful, not sure what to do with it though. Appreciate your help, Thanks!

Hey,

I've read alot of guides.. and ive read the port forwarding guides too.. and i end up with one problem..

When i access the 192.168.1.1 i dont know what to do .. since in the guide it displays a different Web >.>

and im using a zxdsl 831 ..

Read your router's manual. All of the info at portfoward is intended to supplement that manual, not to replace it, so you need to read and understand it first. All of the information you seek is there.

my modem doesnt have a manual, since the ISP provider installed it (according to my dad) so i now i have searched google for any manuals, still nothing not even on the maker's website, and they dont have any manuals, only information about the modem's spec's..

Im quite confused on the 192.168.1.1 since i dont know what to input on the different options..

and its ZXDSL 831aII modem..

A modem does not have an internal firewall. Since it does not, it has nothing to forward a port through. If you do not have a router, then port-forwarding does not apply to you and you cannot get anywhere with it -- your problems are elsewhere.

Based on the website in the first post. It said that my BT Listening Port is Stealth. I now I got the port forwarding right and my BitComet is on the exceptions list in firewall....... What's the problem?

ei guys,

im actually new to this forum and i totally thought before searching this site that my download rate won't be going any higher,

i thought that my isp is just too slow and hopeless,

i checked my speed and it showed around 230kbps i think,

however i could only download a maximum of 27 kbps and most of the time below 5,

then i read about this portforwarding although i havent completed the procedures yet because there was an instruction in portforwarding.com to type my ipaddress in the address bar where in it requires my username and password,

i am familiar with that, however,

i cant have access to that site(i dont know what its called)

but i recall that its necessary to go to that site to activate my internet account which i have done before and that site could actually help me boost my downloads.

sorry if its a bit long,

ill try call our isp for some support regarding the site,

however, i just want to confirm if my effort upon doing this would help me,

is portforwarding the key to faster downloads?

thanks a lot for your patience

ive gone through a few different downloading clients in the past little while, i started with bittorrent, then utorrent, then back to bittorrent. then yesterday a friend told me about bitcomet, so i tried it and was extatic. with the other 2 i tried, the highest download rate i got was about 30 kb/s, but i averaged below 10 kb/s. when i got bitcomet, they were ranging from 200-500 kb/s yesterday, and for a bit of today, then all of a sudden the yellow light came on sayin the listening port wasnt open, and i was dropped to 10-30 kb/s. i forewarded port 65500 properly, ive tested it with a few sites, and they all say its done properly. (i have a netgear WGT624 v2) but even with the port done correctly, im still having download speeds of around 20 kb/s. can anyone tell me what a normal or ideal d/l speed is? (i know it depends on a few different things, but just a general ballpark figure, like should it be closer to 15-25 kb/s like i have now?, or around 300-400 kb/s like i had yesterday?) and if possible, an explanation as to why it went so well yesterday, but today it plummeted. (ive tried switching from v0.87 to v0.70 as well) ive read almost this entire thread, and found no answers, so if someone could help me it would be greatley apprieciated. thanks.

xJACKTHERIPPERx

There really is no ballpark speed. Your speed is mostly dependent on each individual torrent

If all your settings are correct for your connection then there isnt much else you can do. You become completely dependent on the dynamics of the particular swarm.

Another possibility is that your ISP throttles p2p traffic. It may be at certain times of the day (peak hours), or some other reason. Or, they may not throttle at all.

Also dont use the light as an indicator (mine is always grey), instead look in the Peers tab and make sure you are getting Remote connections. If they are all Local then you have a firewall/routing problem.

ive got a mix of local and remote peers, and some with nothing in the column. btu ya, i guess theres nothing more i can do with it, ill just have to wait it out. do you know a posible reason why when i first got bitcomet i was getting such high download speeds? because even the next day with the same torrent which was very well seeded, the speed dropped dramatically

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Ive checked all the answers on the forums and checked for everything i could be doing wrong, but im still getting a Yellow Light on my Listen Ports and what looks like an isp number after it. Also i belive that i have narrowed down my problem to my router, but still cant figure out whats wrong. Can someone help?

• 3 weeks later...
Also dont use the light as an indicator (mine is always grey), instead look in the Peers tab and make sure you are getting Remote connections. If they are all Local then you have a firewall/routing problem.

I've configured everything, pretty sure I did them right, too, and my light is still yellow/orange. I'm getting remote connections, so should I just ignore the light?

Also in one of the download guides I read about "overhead", can I please get a brief explanation or a link to an explanation on that?

If you are getting Remote peers then just ignore what the light is showing.

The way bitcomet checks to see if your port is open is to contact a remote server which I think is stupid.

The way it should be done is to turn the light green as soon as you receive a remote initiation.

Here is an explanation of overhead (though it's not a very clear explanation)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_overhead

In terms of Bitcomet, overhead is the excess bandwidth needed for negotiating with other peers.

In english it would look like this:

Peer A: "Hey peer B, I have these pieces, 1, 35, 76, 198, etc" (overhead)

Peer B: "Wadup peer A, I have these pieces 2, 345, 356, 3262, etc" (overhead)

Peer A: "Cool, can I have piece 2, here you can have piece 1" (overhead)

...piece 1 gets transferred from Peer A to Peer B...

Peer B: "Thanks peer A, I received piece 1, now I will send you piece 2" (overhead)

...piece 2 gets transferred from Peer B to Peer A...

Peer A: "Thanks peer B, I received piece 2, now I will send you piece 35" (overhead)

...piece 35 gets transferred from peer A to peer B...

...but there is an error in transmission...

Peer B: "Hey peer A, I received piece 35 but it didnt match the hash, can you resend it" (overhead)

Peer A: "Ok peer B, I am going to resend it now" (overhead)

...piece 35 gets re-transferred from peer A to peer B...

Peer C: "Hey peer A, don't forget about me" (overhead)

Peer A: "Go away peer C, Im talking with Peer B now" (overhead)

Peer A: "Thanks peer B, I have received piece 35" (overhead)

etc etc etc

This isn't exactly how it works but it should give you the general idea.

I have followed the guide all the way through but when i get to this part

6. When you come to the step where it states "Please enter the static ip you want to forward to:" And it's 192.168.2.[space here] Input the last digit of your IP address into the space. The Static IP is the same IP as the one you saw in MS-DOS when you typed ipconfig/all

i cant find where i have to put this in as i do not see where it says "please enter the static ip you want to forward to:"

can someone please help me

i am using vista if that makes any difference to the set up

hi guys, can u help me with this please?

i followed the steps on how to set up portforwarding and static ip.

but when i went to http://www.portforward.com/english/routers...V2/BitComet.htm i got stuck at the part where i type the ip of my router in the web browser then change the firewall settings but i need to enter a password in order to change the settings. the problem is i dont know the password.

i do not know what password is this? can someone tell me is this for then maybe i can search for it? im sure i can find the password somewhere at home but i dont know what password is it referring to.

i will really appreciate ur help, thank you:)

hi

i am a new user to bitcomet.i followed all the instructions for port forwarding..but i still get an unknown signal for bitcomet and i can't download anything. I am using a d-

link router and a DI-624+ model. Is it because at the option private port and public port i keyed the same port number 16730, thatz why i can't download anything?

i even added bitcomet to windows firewall list.

sorry to disturb you..thanks a lot for your help

Hi,

i have now tried everything in this guide/post, and Im still only getting app. 30-40 kB/s down with a 20 MB adsl connection. I dont get it?

Just tested my port and it comes out 'Stealth' which i suppose could be the problem...however, have set it up in both Norton and Windows firewall.

Actually most of the time I land on less than 20 kB/s

K

That means you've still got a firewall blocking the port. You'll have to find it. It doesn't matter whether you've set OTHER firewalls to open, it only takes one to block the port regardless of the status of the others. You need to check both software and hardware firewalls.

hmm i got many problem about BItComet

i gone through all the instruction that set my IP Address default gateway ................. DNS and so on into the properties of tcp/ip

after that i go to the http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm and i did not found my router model

(i using aztech DSL605EW)

although i did not found my model but i go choose the DSL600EW and the config is almost same

i port forward the BT

and yet my BT is still get blocked and the speed is lower than before

please tell me how to set the BT or where can i check which port is not blocked

im a newbie using BitComet

sometimes my dl speed can up to 150kb++ but the speed can only lasted about 2min or less

and it will gone down to below 10kb or 0kb

here i have a few question

1. i go http://canyouseeme.org/ and check my port see whether is open or not but it say Error: I could not see your service on 60.53.198.XX on port (65123)

Reason: Connection timed out dunno why

2. how to set the static ip??? izit check from the run>cmd>ipconfig/all then copy the ip and past in tcp/ip properties???

3. i using aztech DSL 605EW all in one router and should i manually port forward or checked the UpnP in bitcomet??

4. if manually set the port forward and which port start , port end and port maping should i put?

5. where can i find the port??

6. i follow all the step that teach how to set bitcomet and i still getting yellow light

7. can anyone teach me in detail ???

8. i get all the local peer but i did not get any remote peer

before i set the bitcomet i getting so so speed only but after i set the bitcomet i getting the worse speed although the speed got more than 400