To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How to Set up Portforwarding & Static IP Reply thread.

As a matter of curiosity, I too am still confronted with the gray light.

Even after forwarding my port (59873) to my WRT54G router. GRX calls this port 'stealth', and CanYouSeeMe doesn't see it because the connection times out (?).

The download speed is marginally faster, but the gray light bugs me. Do I have reason to be bugged?

You must choose and set a static IP in your windows network TCP/IP properties. It will offer you a choice of obtaining an IP address automatically, or of using the following IP address, gateway, dns servers, etc. You must choose the latter and set all those options, in order to have a static IP address, as explained at portforward.com. You pick the address you want to use subject to the constraints of your router. This is the address you then enter.

thanks for the reply kluelos. i do have static ip, any other ideas?

The point of this exercise, the reason we do this, is so that other peers can successfully initiate contact with you. A firewall's job is to prevent exactly that, because most computers that want to initiate contact with you intend it for malicious purposes, or at least to send you ads.

If your list of peers shows any connections whose initiation is "REMOTE", you have achieved the objective. If a port test at canyouseeme.org shows your listen port as open, you have achieved the objective. You've done it, gray light or no gray light.

If not, if your port still shows as anything except "open", then you still have one or more firewalls blocking the listen port. This is the gospel. It is your task to find them and configure them, if they can be configured.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I'm new here. Never needed to post to forums before. I've been using Bitcomet for a while now. Today, for no reason I can see, and 83% through a download, I was blocked. Not knowing this was regular occurrence I uninstalled Bitcomet, downloaded the latest version, installed again (got the torrent again as the uninstall had removed them all) and tried again only to still be blocked.

I came to forums, read the guide and have done everything in the guide regarding making static IP's. I got my green light back for a couple of hours but even though there were seeders I had 0kb/s download speed according to Bitcomet (even tho my router indicated it was downloading something). Now I have a big orange light again.

Could someone please explain how you get blocked during a download and after numerous successful downloads, how you can fix the problem but not get any data, how it happens again after you've fixed it and how I can get data to download again?

Thanks in advance

K 8^)

If you have a router, when you hook your computer up to it, the default setup is that the router assigns the computer an iP address. that address is leased. it can change at any time. Normally, the change causes no visible effects.

the router's firewall rules require, for security, that an open port be open ONLY to a particular IP address. If you are doing this, then your computer must be at that IP address. If it's at some other address, or changes to some other address, the port for that other address will be blocked. that's how you get blocked in the midst of a download.

the solution is to set a fixed, static and unchanging IP address for the computer, and to set the firewall rule to open the listen port for that address.

As I explained in my post I have already changed my IP.

I ended up using another client and this file stopped in exactly the same place. That would indicate to me it's a problem with the torrent and it should be removed. If you intend to do that I will paste which one it is.

A blocked listen port does not mean that you cannot download at all.

It just means that your download will probably be a lot slower than it otherwise could be.

So a torrent download won't just stop simply because your listen port is suddenly blocked. These are two, entirely different issues.

For the torrent stoppage, first check if there are any seeders for it. Check the Health/Availability. If this is below 100% or 1.0, then there's nobody in the swarm with a complete copy of the file, and it will not complete unless it a seeder joins the swarm. YOu can try to find the origin site and request a reseed there. Sometimes that works. Otherwise, you may have to just delete what you have and find another torrent with the same material.

If the health is ok, check to see if the file's being "super-seeded". In this case, most of the other peers will have the same download percentage as you, which will slowly increase as the super-seeder gives out additional pieces. During the first part of the download you were receiving pieces from everyone else in the swarm, but now that you've "caught up" and have all the pieces the super-seeder has already released, it'll be a lot slower for the rest of the download.

If it says "stealth" then you still have a firewall somewhere, blocking the port.

there are three types of firewalls you need to be concerned about. First is software firewalls running on your computer. You can easily have more than one, and not necessarily know it. For this, you need to use the process list from Task Manager, and google, to positively identify all of the processes running on your machine.

The second type is firmware firewalls in your equipment. This generally refers to routers, but includes all your network hardware. it's up to you to read the manuals and to understand whether they include firewalls.

the third type is external, and imposed on you by your network provider. These are most often seen in situations where the building or facility is providing you with a network jack - dormitories, apartments, offices where the internet service is included. Also most types of wireless radio service. Typically you can't do anything about these and must stick with the "no listen port" setting.

I understand...but I have checked my AVG and windows firewall and they are both allowing it. I have also tried to set up my router to port forwarding but encountered a problem which i need help with... please can u read my post in "speed problems" forum? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all... :)

From the 1st day I've been using BitComet (I started at v0.90 that is) till now...

There has been the same problem with the listening port over and over again...

Until recently I got bored answering it over and over again then I figured that I'll make a guide for it...

So here it is... I don't know if I post it in the right thread or not... :unsure:

It's a guide for BitComet v0.98 on Windows XP...

It got all possible snapshots for easier guide...

If you find it useful then it's worth my time writing it... :D

If you find anything wrong in it please inform me so that I can improve it...

I'm not a expert but it solved my problem a long time ago and it seems like it help quite a lot of people...

You can find the link at the bottom of my signature...

That's all... Hope it helps...

Mods: If I posted at the wrong thread please feel free to move it at the right thread... Thanks... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

i followed all the steps that were in the port forwarding manual and the ones about my router.

any port i try is blocked.

is it maybe my ISP?

although when i completed the steps, my router would not add the virtual server.

i tried different ports but to no avail.

any idea?

thanx

Nope, not your ISP. You need to figure out why you can't configure the router, and for this, your router's manual is your best bet. The instructions at portforward.com are intended as a supplement to, and not a replacement for, reading the manual and understanding it.

Trying different ports will not help. You don't "find" an open port, you set one to open. Your router calls this a "virtual server", as some do, while others call it "port-forwarding", but it's the same thing.

A common reason for failure is that you have not set a static IP address for your computer. You can't skip this step, your router will require that you specify the IP address that the port/server will be open for.

• 4 weeks later...

hi i have olso a yelow light, i checked my ip and default gateway as asked and they are perfect the same ...but i don't have internet with modem, i have internet in the local area called RDS.....how could i solve my problem

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I think I might have a problem. I followed the instructions on port forwarding and setting up a static IP. I assigned port number 64250 to bitcomet. I did the trustealth test and the results were that my port was open. Regardless, my bitcomet's said that the assigned listening port's status were still unknown. I've tried everything I can but my download speeds are still slow (at about 20 kpbs and less). Someone, plese help. :(

Generally, all wireless systems like RDS are going to have you behind a router/firewall that you won't be able to configure. This means you'll just have to live with slower speeds on P2P because other peers can't get through that firewall to contact you.

Thinkerpad, check your port at canyouseeme.org. If the answer's anything except "yes", then it's "no".

As you should have read, the point of all this is to get those remote initiations. That's what you should have looked at first and reported here. If you've got them, you're good. If you don't, you've got a problem. Whatever BitComet reports as your status is secondary to that. If you don't have them, then that's one reason your downloads may be slow. If you do, then you have to look at other reasons.

As you also should have read, this just deals with the firewall in your router. Other firewalls you may have or may be behind are a separate issue and also need to be solved.

• 2 months later...

I have done everything that the guide told me to do, i have done portforwarding, my port is 60000,i have a static ip,my firewall is not blocking bitcomets port as i use windows firewall but still i have that yellow light. Pls. help as i've been trying and trying.

This yellow light only appears when i download something via my own internet router/connection. When i connect my laptop to some other router/connection i dont get the green light.

I went through https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2, it says:

results from probe of port: 60000

0 Ports Open

0 Ports Closed

1 Ports Stealth

My static ip is 192.168.1.136

This yellow light only appears when i download something via my own internet router/connection. When i connect my laptop to some other router/connection i dont get the green light.

Sorry, could you try saying that again? I don't understand it.

The obvious reason would be that this other router has its firewall turned off. If that's really so, you need to make very sure that you have a software firewall running, for you are otherwise very vulnerable to attack.

Your results indicate that when you are connected to your router, you're being blocked by a firewall. It won't tell you which firewall, and if you have more than one it can get really confusing.

Try getting your router out of the loop and connecting directly to the modem, rejiggering your network connection for DHCP to do this. If things now work, you know it was indeed the router, and this suggests that you have not set up the forwarding rule correctly, or that it does not work. Examine the rule carefully, make sure that the parameters are what you think they are. Try creating another rule from scratch with the correct parameters. If what you did was to activate one of the router-s built-in rules, be aware that these are almost always wrong and should not be used.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem like shivamrockz. I followed all the instructions given here in the forum and I am using port 49152 and sometimes I changed it according to the portforward, The DHT network connection status is green while the BT client connection status is always yellow and the IP address (222.XXX.XXX.XX) is blocked.. I've tried the test too and I got 1 Port Stealth.

How can I make the color turn to green?

Edited by cassie
IP address hidden for privacy reasons (see edit history)

I am using port 49152 and sometimes I changed it according to the portforward

Could you explain what you mean, please? Is port 49152 the one that you selected, when you set up a Static IP address?

Could you explain what you mean, please? Is port 49152 the one that you selected, when you set up a Static IP address?

I followed all the steps from 1-7 in the thread and accrding to step 5, I am using the listening port 21656 now. But in the site https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 the port state it's in stealth. My firewall is not blocking the bitcomet application. The yellow light appears only these month when I switch my DSL connection to another DSL internet provider which uses the prolink H5200. When I connect my laptop to some other router/connection i get the green light.

Edited by confused_angel (see edit history)

All right, let's forget about the light, for a moment. If you look at your Peers column/tab (you don't specify which version of BitComet you use), do you see any "Remote" connections, or are they all "Local"?

If you have Remote initiations, it means that your port is open and others can connect to you - in which case, you should ignore the light, regardless of its colour.

If your connections are all "Local" and, after having tested your port at canyouseeme.org, the result is anything other than "Success", this means that you have a firewall (one that you may not even be aware of) that is blocking your listen port. You may have configured your Windows firewall and your router's firewall, but there is still (at least) one, somewhere, that is doing the blocking. You will have to find it and configure it, properly.

Under no circumstances should you disable all of your firewalls - this would only make you the best possible target for malicious software to be installed. Never, ever connect to the Internet, without having at least, one active firewall.