To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How to Set up Portforwarding & Static IP Reply thread.

I'm surely no network admin; but I guess I did every possible thing to make BC work, and it didn't.

1. IPCONFIG; got my Default Gateway from there.

2. My IP & DNS (default) are not the same; hence going for port forwarding.

3. Chose a similar ID to my router's IP.

4. Got DNS from ISP.

5. Entered manual IP, subnet mask, & gateway. Entered DNS server addresses.

6. Chose port address between 49152 & 65534 in BitComet options.

7. Unchecked 'UPnP Port Mapping'

8. Disabled every restriction & filtering in Router.

9. Restarted both Router & PC.

10. Disabled firewalls & AV tools.

Still, the status is 'blocked'; in BitComet.

With every other torrent clients working perfectly without any port forwarding; I wonder whats happening here. My humble conclusion still points either to my ISP or to a possible bug.

2. My IP & DNS (default) are not the same; hence going for port forwarding.

The thumb rule here is to compare your IP and the Default Gateway IP not the DNS IP. Of course, when you use a NAT router the Gateway and DNS IP will usually be the same as the router's IP (the LAN bridge interface) so that still works.

3. Chose a similar ID to my router's IP.

I assume that by this you mean you chose an IP using the same base network address and netmask (i.e. if your router/gateway has 192.168.1.1 you should choose something in the 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.254 range).

4. Got DNS from ISP.

Most ISPs which assign dynamically IPs to their users, also communicate automatically the DNS servers to the connecting client, so unless specified to do so by your ISP you shouldn't need to bother to assign DNS servers to your WAN interface (unless you want to assign other DNS servers than your ISP's). As for your LAN bridge it will use the same IP for DNS like the one for the Gateway (a private IP).

5. Entered manual IP, subnet mask, & gateway. Entered DNS server addresses.

Entered where? You need to set a static IP for your PC but for some routers you might want to even removed the address you assigned to your PC from the DHCP pool so that it wont be assigned to another computer if it boots into the network before you do. The method to do that depends entirely on your router type.

With every other torrent clients working perfectly without any port forwarding... My humble conclusion still points either to my ISP or to a possible bug.
If your ISP would be throttling BitTorrent traffic, it didn't care what client you use. They just analyze and cap a certain traffic type, that's all.

As for the other clients, it only means that they succeed to map your port through UPnP as you reported BitComet to do on occasions. You can't tell if they would fail sometimes as well, or not, since you haven't used them for a long enough period. If they would all the time succeed to map the port through UPnP then it meant that somehow they made better use of the UPnP implementation present in your Windows version.

Or maybe they bypass it and replace it with their own (I really don't know enough about the inner works of UPnP to give you an informed opinion on this particular detail).

What I didn't really see in your list above is the part where you actually performed port forwarding.

Did you forget to mention it or you forgot to do that?

Check this Wiki FAQ topic for more details (when you get to the port forwarding part, head directly for the Manual forwarding section).

"Did you forget to mention it or you forgot to do that?"- - :lol: my bad; in all that listing; i 4got to mention that..

I logged on to my router's IP, entered the static IP that I chose ( in the port 4warding section), listed 'application' as BitComet; then entered the port number I chose in the place of:

* ALL TYPE

*TCP

*UDP

and applied.

In router status menu; (after refreshin the router), the port was successfully entered & was OPEN. Tried changing the IP, and the port number; but no use.

In the past 3 years; I started with Bit Torrent (no issue ever regarding this; even if somthing came up; was resolved by "check again"), U-torrent (never, but was slow) and Vuze (occassionally; but replaced it due to it's resource consumption).

I had no issue regarding this 'status' till 2-3 months (or sooner) since 2008; when I started using BitComet & stuck with it because of it's performance.

Post some screenshots of your router port-forwarding web page and of a command prompt window with the results of a ipconfig command.

Something is obviously wrong, so we need to double-check all the steps you took.

If you need guides for posting images you can find in the Guides section of the forum.

What you basically have, it appears, is a firewall blocking your listen port. A new firewall? It's quite possible, one you didn't realize you were installing. A change to an existing firewall that you didn't realize occurred? That happens too. Something in this situation clearly changed two months ago. You will need to find out what it was.

I will do that soon, Gray; thanks for the help.

Yesterday experienced another issue. The status went green in seconds after I started the application, so did the passport log-in. But then; the Upload & Download speeds were so low ! Tried many torrents with excellent health (in case of seed and peer), but nothing happened. I had set UL rate at 52 kBps; where as the uploading rate was 19 kBps (in total, 4 torrents or so). I am having issues in the transmission line (mine is a telephone line integrated connection) so I hope this issue is related to that.

While checking to tweak BC, landed on one guy's post in a blog that said, he was using BC for quite sometime, and suddenly his U/L rate dropped (hence the D/L rate) and his 'theory' was that BC clients are not welcomed now a days in other torrent client interfaces. That old 'fair-play' theory again.

I've asked those crappy ISP techs to fix my connection on last friday; and still no action from them. I'll fix it first and give it a try.

Thanks.

:lol:hi everybody...can somebody help please?

Followed all instructions about port forwarding....Now I am getting the green light!!WAN.....port 50002..other settings..half open ports 80 download limit = unlimited...upload limit = 32kB/s connected seeds 35/50 ... peers 36/825...With all these done my download speed is only upto 40kB/s (average 24kB/s)..Even when my port is blocked without all these settings I am getting the same or sometimes upto 60kB/s...I too would like to see some download speeds of at least 100kB/s..Any chance? :lol:

You need to understand that transferring files via bittorrent is nothing like downloading by http or ftp.

Your transfers are peer-to-peer. That means they're from somebody just like you and not from a server somewhere. That somebody has a computer like yours and an internet connection like yours. As you download from them, they download from you. You are effectively trading. You need, therefore, to be an attractive trade partner to others, with good upload speed and reliability. You must give in order to get.

Each client connects to a great many others (if it can, if they're interested in this torrent), and from among those connections it tries to mutually negotiate transfers with the best of those.

If you aren't among the best that another peer is connected to, it will pass you by in favor of a faster and more reliable partner. You'll have to try the next-best and see if they will transfer with you. In this way, the best tend to find the best, and the worst have to settle for the worst. It's a self =regulating system.

If you set your upload speed to zero, you will find that your download speed quickly drops to zero and stays there. You'll probably read a great deal of whining about "leechers" who take but don't give. Try this yourself. Set your upload speed to 1 KB/s, which is extremely low. Now watch your download rate plummet. Thereafter ignore the whining, leechers are their own punishment. Your upload rate PER TORRENT needs to be a bare minimum of 8 KB/s, and 30 is a lot better.

If you haven't learned to present the best appearance that your connection permits, you'll end up transferring only to slower peers. You need to avoid trying to run too many transfers at once. For most people, that means one seeding task and one download task. MAYBE you can add another download task, but you need to watch your upload rate for all three. If it starts to drop, you are running too many tasks.

That said, everything depends on the other peers in the swarm -- how many there are, what sorts of connections they have, how those connections seem to you and how yours appears to them. This is the biggest single factor controlling speed, and it's completely out of your control.

You have to make sure you've done all you can and aren't doing anything wrong, then hope for good juju regarding the rest. Maximum possible speed varies not only from torrent to torrent, but from moment to moment.

• 1 month later...

Before we had a router, the computer connected directly to the ISP. In those days, the computer asked the ISP to temporarily loan it an IP address. This was accomplished by a protocol called DHCP. Now, the router uses DHCP to ask the ISP for its WAN side address just as the computer used to.

Windows computers default to using DHCP to ask whatever network they're connected to, for an IP address. This also works for the router, which will accept that request from the computer, and assign to the computer an IP address on the LAN, in that group of addresses limited by its own address and the netmask [elided by mod - removed advertising link].

The router takes a subset of that group of addresses and holds them in a DHCP pool, to be assigned to any device that connects and asks for an address. You can control this pool through the router interface. The pool usually has a start (or lowest) address, and then either an end (highest) address or a range. So we can define the lowest address in the pool as the first available address, 192.168.2.2, and the highest as just a little above that, say 192.168.2.5 which would give us 2.3.4 and 5, a total of four IP addresses that could be assigned to any computer which connects and asks for an IP address.

Edited by greywizard (see edit history)

I never set up portforwarding and never use static ip i.e. leave it to automatic and yet I got green light :rolleyes:

You were just lucky. Your dynamic IP address will eventually change (courtesy of your ISP) - most times without you being aware of it - and your (un)specified port will not be accessible to other peers--> you will be relying on only those "Local" peers with which you initiate contact (ie. you will have to call them, first), rather than "Remote" peers (those which call you, first)... there are usually more of 'them' , than there are of "you".

Blowwater, if you are not connected via a router then the entire issue does not apply to you.

If you do have a router that supports Universal Plug N Play, and it actually works with BitComet, it automates the entire task for you and it's a cinch.

If you have one of the many routers on which UPnP is broken, then hand configuration is the only alternative to router-shopping.

Blowwater, if you are not connected via a router then the entire issue does not apply to you.

If you do have a router that supports Universal Plug N Play, and it actually works with BitComet, it automates the entire task for you and it's a cinch.

If you have one of the many routers on which UPnP is broken, then hand configuration is the only alternative to router-shopping.

Yes I do connect via a wireless router.

My NAT Port Mapping status in your BitComet statistics is shown as "failed", somehow greenlight is ON. I must be very lucky :D

i have a problem with my ports being blocked, i always get the yellow light. i made the exception in firewall for bitcomet.exp, upnp, and my port that im using. I use a d-link 624 router (old) and i followed the static ip address instructions to give myself a static ip and then i followed the d-link 624 port fowarding instructions to foward my port through my router firewall. i followed all the instructions and everything looks like it should be in order but i still get the yellow light... do i need to do anything else/did i do anything wrong?

my OS is XP

Overall Tasks: Total:2 / Running: 2

TCP Connections: Established: 4 [MAX:50] / Half-Open: 40 [MAX:50]

LAN IP: 192.168.0.2

WAN IP: 78.XXX.XXX.XXX

Listen Port of TCP: 65000 (Blocked by Firewall/Router)

Listen Port of UDP: 65000 (Blocked by Firewall/Router)

Windows Firewall: Added [TCP opened, UDP opened]

NAT port mapping: Disabled

Overall Download Rate: 8 kB/s [MAX:200] Max Connection Limits: 160 per task

Overall Upload Rate: 4 kB/s [MAX:60] LT Seeding: 0 kB/s [MAX:55] All BT Upload Slots: 0

Free Phys Mem: 386.20 MB (Min to keep: 75 MB)

Disk Cache Size: 28 MB (Min: 25 MB, Max: 100 MB)

Disk Read Statistics: Request: 5 (freq: 0.0/s), Actual Disk Read: 0 (freq: 0.0/s), Hit Ratio: 100%

Disk Write Statistics: Request: 1364 (freq: 0.3/s), Actual Disk Write: 5 (freq: 0.0/s), Hit Ratio: 99.6%

my bitcomet info, the guide told me to disable NAT port mapping with my router

please help, thanks

Edited by cassie
IP hidden for privacy/security reasons (see edit history)

To assure that you don't have firewall problems on your PC, disconnect the router and connect directly to the modem, reconfiguring your PC to use a dynamic IP again while you do this.

If you get an open port when you do, then you'll know the router still was not configured properly and was blocking the port.

But if your port is still closed, then you'll know you've got a software firewall (maybe one you aren't aware of) still blocking the port, or your connection itself may be firewalled.

That doesn't, btw, mean that the router was configured correctly -- the problem could be all of the above.

When I hooked it up to the modem directly it worked perfectly, as in I got the green light, but it's too inconvenient to be hooked up to it. So now I know that it is a router problem. My modem is a speedtouch thomson 536 but I don't think that's the problem anymore. So what do I need to do with my router?

You need to take things step by step. Were you using the same network connection for both? Likely not, you were likely using a wireless NIC before, and the mainboard's built-in NIC for the routerless test.

If that's the case, let's bring the router back in, but connect to it using one of the wired LAN jacks in the back of it, to the wired NIC on the computer. This takes the wireless element out of the problem, both that part of the router and your wireless NIC.

Now carefully recreate the forwarding rule, using a different port (to oblige yourself to redo, and thus take a careful look at, everything). Posting screenshots of this may help us to spot anything you've overlooked. Pilots and astronauts always use checklists, and so should you.

If you can't get this to work, consider whether you can borrow a router from somebody else and get that to work. doesn't have to be the same make or model, SOHO routers aren't that much different from each other. The borrowed router doesn't even have to be wireless, though that may be wanted later. If you can get the borrowed one to work, then you're probably doing everything right configuring yours; this points to a defective router. They are fortunately quite cheap, US$20 street price, and I have never observed that you get what you pay for in this area, that for every brand somebody just loves, somebody else will tell you never to buy.

As kluelos said the most important info at this point pertains to your network interface setup parameters and your router configuration.

Therefore in case you can't figure this on your own, we would need to know the results of a ipconfig /all command (either copy/paste it here or post a screenshot) along with specifying which network interface of your computer (wired/wireless) do you use to connect to the router.

Also you'll need to lay down a very detailed step-by-step description of a all that you did to configure your router for port-forwarding.

• 3 weeks later...