To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How to Set up Portforwarding & Static IP Reply thread.

Further to my previous reply. As I suspected, the instructions (posted June 2006) are not relevant to Windows 7 (unless I am completely wrong). The ipconfig/all screen is totally different; there is no selection at Start named "My Network Places" so i gave up there. Am I doing this wrong or following the wrong set of instructions? Sorry to be a pain.

The IPconig screen on Vista and Seven will list two IP addresses instead of only one.

IP address = IPv4 (stands for IP address version 4), and there is also an IPv6, but you can safely ignore that when configuring your LAN.

The "my network places" were replaced with "Networks" in Vista and Seven. Same think, just a shorter name, just like "My Documents" is now "documents", "My Downloads" is now "downloads".

I realize the guide should be updated, and if someone wants to vounteer to do it, we'll post the new one, but functionally it's all unchanged, just a few miner changes in the windows operating system.

The guide on the Wiki, on portforwarding is pretty up-to-date.

Unfortunately, right now the BitComet Wiki server seems to be down.

But hopefully that's going to be fixed fast and then you'll find more "fresh" and detailed instructions on the Wiki.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

my downloads were really slow (46 kb/s) so I started on the steps for port forwarding and got to 5 where i have to look up my router. Well, I am using my phone as a wi-fi hotspot. Its a HTC MyTouch 4g.... Any ideas on how to set that one up? (I have unlimited throttled internet so im not worried about fees, and when I do the internet speed tests i get between 5 and 13 mbps, so I know the phone is capable).

Sorry, gphxlor, but 4G phones are firewalled at the cell tower, and there's no way to get an open listen port on them. This is true for most kinds of wireless connection including microwave, radio, satellite and cell-modem. You will have to operate in no-listen-port mode (much slower, but still works) or get a different sort of connection.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Kluelos.

I am avid fan of BitComet application. I have just installed a new modem called Maxis Fibre Home, but now having problem to download at fullspeed because of 'yellowlight problem' - listening port has been blocked.

I need your assistance on how to enable this listening port.

Other details:

- Thomson Router 'Technicolor Gateway TG784n v3'

- Maxis Home Fibre Internet 10MB

- BitComet 64Bit Ver 1.34

You help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Regards, Jason

Edited by bunbun9981 (see edit history)

The Maxis web site is of the "don't worry your pretty little head over that" persuasion, so is very short on important information. I got the preliminary impression that a firewall is part of the service, thus installed upstream of you and not controllable by you.

But that may not be the case. Did *they* install the Thompson gateway? If not, who did/what does it connect to?

im attempting to port forward my westell 6100 however im using verizon dsl as my ip and when i follow instructions for port forwarding i get a verizon main page that includes many items such as my modem,my network, action zone etc. it does not take me directly to my westell modem. its a little different than the screenshots im seeing for portforwarding the westell.

my question is, are there instructions directly related to verizon dsl ? if not i will have to post screenshots of what im looking at.

verizon 1mb dsl from phone line.

westell 6100 router/switch.

linksys e2500 wireless router.

bitcomet 1.32

windows xp pro.

my desktop is plugged in directly to the linksys router and there is only one output on the westell.

thank you.

ok im making progress. these things werent completely clear to me on the portforward instructions.

1) global port start.

2) global port end. ok i think this is the range of ports i want to use correct ?

example= 52025 - 52025

3) base host port. what goes here ?

thank you.

Edited by zardave (see edit history)

Apparently you're using at present time 2 cascaded routers.

You'll understand that better if you check the Manual Port Forwarding part of the port mapping guide here: Add Port Mapping in NAT Router (especially the "Cascaded Routers" part).

You'll have to either perform double NAT (once on each router) or put your modem in bridge mode (by following the instructions in any of the two links below) and perform NAT only on your Linksys.

http://support.easystreet.com/internet-access/easydsl/verizon-dsl/226-westell-6100-routed-bridge

http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/NetworkSteps/Case6445LinksysWestell6100.pdf

• 3 months later...

i always getting yellow light

I got a doubt on opening ports on router for BitComet:

im using dir-601, win7

in portforward page of dir-601, which ip i should put ?? my ip lan or my ip external (wan)??

should i selected both types udp and tcp??

thks in advance

You need to use your LAN IP address, that is the one your router uses to locate the computer, your WAN IP is assigned to your router, not your computer.

Internet > Router (wan IP) > computers (one or more lan IP addresses

You will need to forward both TCP and UDP to use all the benefits bitcomet offers.

• 6 months later...

Hi, I am new to BitComet... Need help on setting up my Listening Ports. I am using Windows Xp Home Edition Sevice Pack 3.

In my Firewall settings It States that my Listen Port TCP 8157 Is blocked by my firewall/router & that my listen port UDP 8157 is open,

My UPnP Failed (Windows version not supported)... How do I set up port forwarding so that it all works?

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm on Windows 8.

My listen port is blocked. I tried most of the stuff mentioned above but it's still not working.

Please help:

Listen Port of TCP: Blocked by firewall/router

Listen Port of UDP: Opened in Firewall/router

Windows Firewall: Added[TCP added, UDP added]

UPnP NAT port mapping: Failed [uPnP device not found]

Can anyone give a tutorial on Windows 8?

Would really appreciate that!

Hi,

I'm on Windows 8.

My listen port is blocked. I tried most of the stuff mentioned above but it's still not working.

Please help:

Listen Port of TCP: Blocked by firewall/router

Listen Port of UDP: Opened in Firewall/router

Windows Firewall: Added[TCP added, UDP added]

UPnP NAT port mapping: Failed [uPnP device not found]

Can anyone give a tutorial on Windows 8?

Would really appreciate that!

Follow the first link in my signature and reply with all the requested info.

• 3 months later...

Hello, so i've officially have been plagued with the " yellow light OF DEATH! " LOL =/ it's very weird because whenever i download recently released shows and films i get pretty good download speed sometimes 7000kb/s down...even with the yellow light on...so i am not sure why that is but in any case i do wish to get rid of the darn yellow light issue and make it green.

Here's a screenshot...

2gsok6r.png

now...i've gone and logged into my router to see all of the ports for forwarding but its a massacre in there! Their are so many ports opened for so many apps... I don't know if my actiontec did this on it's own? because ever since installing my Fios service i've never logged into my router. I am sure you can see i'm not very knowledgeable in any of this messing around with ports, static ip and UpnP NAT port mapping etc..so i could definitely use a little guidance.

I'll try to help, but the problem really isn't with bitcomet, it's a networking problem and one that is normally configured by the network administrator, meaning you in this case.

First I will explain why you often get good speeds on popular torrents. In order for bittorrent file sharing to work efficiently connections need to be made with many peers, these are like phone calls, sometimes you call them (local connection) and sometimes they call you (remote connections). When you call out, your computer already knows where the router is and the router knows where the internet is so your call goes across your LAN (local area network) and then to the WAN (internet, or Wide Area Network). When someone call you it's directed to your public (internet or WAN) IP address and the only device connected to that address is your router and without more info the router wouldn't know what to do with the connection. If you didn't install this LAN network your computer would be at this address instead, but now it's hiding behind the router. Each incoming connection has a port number assigned, it could be one of 64k different ports (it's a good idea to use one of the higher port numbers that are rarely used, any random number from 50,000 to 60,000 would be good). If your computer was at this IP address the port number would direct the connection to BitComet who registered this port in your windows operating system, but in order for the router to know where to send this connection you need to make a "port forwarding rule". In this rule you would direct all traffic on port number xx,xxx to IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (your local LAN ip). You may need two rules, one for TCP protocol and one for UDP protocol, or many newer routers allow one rule for both protocols (if emule plugin is used it requires a separate port and rule, but we'll ignore that option for now).

With popular torrents you can gather enough peers with local connections and get the speed you want, but on torrents where good peers are rare, they will enter the swarm and make a couple hundred connection attempts (referred to as half open connections), the ones made to you will never complete, but those made to other peers may and soon this new peer has all the connections he wants. Eventually you'll get an update from the tracker and learn this new peer exists and you'll send him a connection attempt, but since he likely has all the peers he needs your connection will be refused, or it could be connected and marked as "choked" (busy). Now to really confound things,if the new peer also has a blocked port then you could never connect to them. Imagine two people with phones that have a broken ringer, you could call each other and never get through.

There are two basic ways to get your router's port open, using uPnP (universal plug n play), which sometimes just works with no effort at all, but when it doesn't you'd need a lot more help than I can provide in a forum post to figure out why, so the best option is to just open the port yourself.

The first place you should start is wiki.bitcomet.com, look for the topic for "port mapping" and pay careful attention to "manual port mapping". Also make sure you don't have two routers. If you have any other devices between you and the internet you may have more than one router in which case you'd want to read the section about "cascading routers".Note that some devices that provide phone or tv service can also be routers. If your wifi router uses the same WAN IP address as your internet connection, then you likely have only one router. If you look at your post above you'll see your wan IP, that is the same IP you used to connect to this forum when making your post so it's your real wan IP, if the routers wan is different, then it's not connected directly to the internet and you have another router installed.

Usually making the portforward rule isn't hard, but since every router is different and they don't usually do it with an easy question and answer setup, you have to know what info to add such as your computers IP and port number. The protocols to forward (tcp and udp) and when (always).

After reading the article we (forum staff) made on our wiki site you should understand this much better but if you still cannot figure this out you can try the site "portforward.com" which has free guides for setting up many routers. If you go there be very careful not to get trapped or lured by their ads to sell you software to do this for you. The software is usually more difficult to setup than the port is to open and you don't need more processes running to turn your port on and off for you, just ignore the ads and proceed to the guides.

Setting up a static IP

This is an important step for your computer, if you don't do this your local LAN ip could change when you restart your computer and in that case you'd have to log into your router and change the rule because you're computer is no longer where the connections will be forwarded. There is also another potential problem if another of your computers gets assigned your IP while yours is off, in this case even if you setup a static IP there could be a conflict. There are two solutions to this, you can setup static IP addresses for all your computers, or you can setup a restricted range that the router uses to assign IP addresses and use a static IP outside that range. If you don't know how to do this it may be easier to make them all static.

Don't feel overwhelmed by this, you're going to learn some valuable info about networking and education is always a good thing. If you get frustrated please remember that BitComet doesn't require you to operate a network, in fact it's setup is effortless without a network and since you elected to install a network, you'll have to learn how to use it efficiently. In many cases the ISP installs the network for you and although they do often offer support, when asked for help with forwarding ports to a bittorrent client they tend to "punt", saying they don't support p2p, then we get the questions where other BitComet users such as myself volunteer to help people.

Since all bittorrent clients are required to be free there is no funds available to operate a paid tech support dept. Our forum staff will be glad to help you figure out these issues but you are going to have to put some effort into this, or if you would prefer to just pass the problem onto someone else you could contact a local university or tech college and speak to a professor in the I.T. dept and see if they will refer you to an able student who could come set this up for you. Students tend to be hungry and it should be no problem finding one to come sort this all out for about $50 or so... after all, geeks do have to eat :), but if you put a modest amount of effort into this I'm sure you'll find it's not as hard as it may have seemed.

• 7 months later...