To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Bit Comet Settings Guide

i have a quicky question so plz take a look and answer me

im on dsl ppp over ethernet but without local area network (it exist but doesnt work ) so shud i unmark these bt settings like NAT mapping / NAT firewall ?

• 4 weeks later...
After you pick the listen port in Bitcomet you have to open that port up in your router.

Go to portforward.com and find your router/modem and they will give you directions on how to do this.

I went to portforward.com and my modem was there but was unable to log in to change the setting in my modem. I get to the page that sets up the modem but cant log in with the default name and password which most know as- admin and password. Any help would be appreciated. When I say modem I mean modem because portforward lists my modem- Westell 6100. It looks like a plain modem to me. I guess its considered Modem/router.

Is there a way to find out what port is already open in the modem to set that one with Bit Comet? Or is that not practical?

• 3 weeks later...

hey im haveing a problem with bitcomet 1st in the bettem left hand corner of bit comet is a yellow light and saying "blocked: then what looks like a IP..im also haveing never more then 10kb/s download speed, i am also not sure if my settings on bitcomet are right, i have been going around in many fourums looking for help but alot of them are way to confusing for me....

I am useing a speedtouch 585 V6 ADSL modem it is wirless to other computers but i have the internet cable in my PC... thats pritty much evrything i no... if u could message me or something with some help that would be great! thanks, i will also ceep watching this forum incase u post on hear

Hi JCkoolio,

The message you are seeing means that your listen port is either not open properly or that it is being blocked by something (probably one or more firewall/s).

I suggest that you carefully go through the Guides titled "Port Forwading and Static IP" and "Settings Guide" (links in my siggy) and make sure to NOT skip the part about setting up a static IP.

If you're still having problems or there is something that you're unsure about, open up a new thread and provide the Essentials (link in my sig), as well apport as much detailed information as possible - too much is preferred to not enough.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I have 1 question.

How to set BitComet IP Status Light to green? Where I can set this thing?

http://forums.bitcomet.com/index.php?showtopic=3880

Its this will help the download speen more faster after set it?

It should, if all of the other settings to adjust your client have been configured properly.

• 1 month later...

Okei here is a damn annoying problem. i have school internet(yeeah that bad ugly thing) 20-40 mbit/s

im behind a web proxy(well not a big problem) but also behind NAT gateway(sharing 1 ip with many other people in my lan). None of those nat settings work. only open ports iv noticed are 80(http) and 22(ssh).

Tho there is one p2p program that works without problems, bearshare(music only), dunno how its made possible.

So any advice? Admin wont open or foward anything. Any way using 80/22? And i dont wanna use any tunneling, cuz they charge too much per month and speed aint actually that good.

I cant login (grey) and network status is also grey, only DHT is green.

There's no reason you can't use either port, provided you yourself aren't actually running a server that also uses that port. It's for incoming traffic. If you don't HAVE a webserver, then you won't have any incoming traffic, at least not that you want, on port 80, so you can use it for whatever else you want. Likewise for port 22.

Use of particular ports for particular services is just a convention, not a rule, and it's for the benefit of other people. If I tell you that you should try my web site, your browser will assume, as it should, that my web server will be found on port 80 unless I have specifically said otherwise. If I don't have a web server, then I can use 80 for anything I want.

It sounds to me like your network Admin is blocking Bittorrent traffic. Have you tried setting protocol encryption to "always" also?

If that doesn't help, you might have to find a way to use a proxy, or use a different type of downloading on campus.

Umm, be aware that colleges and such often have a policy *forbidding* P2P on their networks. It's one thing to outsmart the admin, if you can, but if you violate the policy they kick your a** out, or cancel your network account, or deactivate the network jack in your dorm room which will make you dearly beloved of your roommate. So know what you're risking.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...