To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Bitcomet CPU Spike... HELP PLEASE!!

I have been using Bitcomet faithfully for months now with no issues.. I could have it open with many downloads going, play music or watch movies at the same time.. I just reinstalled windows a couple days ago and now Bitcomet intermittently spikes CPU usage anywhere from 64 to 100%... causing my computer to freeze for a second, and my music to skip or movie to freeze... this never happened before is there something I can do to stop this? Even as I type this.. my computer freezes every 15 or 20 seconds for half a second. This is SO frustrating.. I don't want to have to switch from Bitcomet!!! HELP PLEASE!!

I suggest you open task manager (cont/alt/delete), and click on processes tab, and look at what applications are using the majority of your ram memory.

I can't be certain, but I suspect that your system is accessing page file memory (your hard drive is being used to simulate ram memory) do to shortage of availble physical memory.

This will effect such processes as playing video, audio or other applications that require continued use of hard disc access.

Also, how much ram memory does your system have?

Increasing the size of your virtual memory might help too, as well as defraging your hard drive, and/or freeing up some more space.

Here is a good resource for tuning your windows, and stopping unneeded windows processes...

http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecess...s_on_windows_xp

I hope some of this information is helpful to you.

Suspect

Thanks for your help with this, there were a few tweaks I never heard of on that page.. unfortunately the problem lies solely with Bitcomet. My system is a 2.4G Celeron with 512Mb DDR, and prior to my recent reinstall of windows I could run Bitcomet plus a MILLION other programs if I wanted to, without any kind of lagging or freezing. I have shut down every single program on my computer EXCEPT Bitcomet, and I can clearly see in Task Manager, that it is Bitcomet which is spiking the CPU usage over the top, and causing my computer to choke, if only for a split second at a time.. however it is very aggravating because it makes my computer too annoying to use when I have Bitcomet open.

Thanks for all your suggestions, but the condition is no better. I think when all my current downloads are finished I will have to download a new client that doesnt perform this way!

Thanks anyways!

Cheers

Rob

PS - All my drives are defragged, I have moved the page file off the partition that BC is on, and my page file size has been increased several times already.

Edited by Dark_Shroud (see edit history)

One thing you might want to try is going through the settings guide.

Perhaps limiting the resources that bit comet uses will resolve this issue.

I would also consider reinstalling bit comet.

I'm sure this problem could be resolved, but its hard to pinpoint the cause since I am not in front of your pc to observe.

Regarding other clients, I have used azureus for some time, but stopped because its a hog of resources (over 100mb of physical memory).

Utorrent is a very good client, uses very little memory, and does a good job running torrent. I don't have as many advanced feathers as bit comet, but if all you want to do is download unattended, its a good choice.

Of course I would prefer you got your Bit comet running properly.

Suspect

I never had to tweak Bitcomet before.. it always just worked properly.

Maybe its time to do some tweaking ;)

First thing is to read through the Settings Guide(link in my sig)

Now let me suggest:

In the settings uncheck the DHT Network

also hopefully you're portforwarded in which case you should uncheck NAT Traversal via UDP

make sure that Max half-open TCP connections is set at 8

Uncheck enable IP Filter

after you adjust all these settings as well as any others you adjust based on the settings guide

then you should shut down Bitcomet and then restart it

Do you still get the lagging?

-if so then please post what antivirus / firewall software you use.

AVG Free and Windows Firewall (only to keep the annoying notifier away). No need for a firewall I'm behind a router.

I did what you say (though I never needed to do ANY of this on my last install of Windows.. and generally.. when I re and re my system.. things work better not worse). I'm also a PC tech.. have been for a long time and this has me baffled I must say.

The CPU is still spiking wayyyy over the top.. my performance graph in task manager looks like the swiss alps.

This really sucks cause I love Bitcomet.. I'd hate to have to change.

Edited by Dark_Shroud (see edit history)

I am wondering if there is a conflict with another process/s running on your computer.

I would try disabling as many running processes as possible and see if the problem is still present. If it stops, then the next step would be to determine which process is conflicting with Bit Comet, and how to resolve it.

well, your in good hands with dark shroud and bitdave, so I will leave you guys to resolve this issue.

Just be sure to post your solution when you find it.

Regards,

Suspect

I am wondering if there is a conflict with another process/s running on your computer.

I would try disabling as many running processes as possible and see if the problem is still present. If it stops, then the next step would be to determine which process is conflicting with Bit Comet, and how to resolve it.

well, your in good hands with dark shroud and bitdave, so I will leave you guys to resolve this issue.

Just be sure to post your solution when you find it.

Regards,

Suspect

To make sure all the information is on the table.. I should add that I upgraded my video card before reformatting/reinstalling.. that is the ONLY thing that is different about my system from before.. the rest is all programs that I had installed on my previous install of windows. I am now running a Ge-force FX 5500 256Mb .. up from a Ge-force 2 32 Mb. If in fact the conflict is because of this.. I don't know how we could resolve it.. I'm definitely not going to scrap my video card!

Suggestions?

Cheers

Rob

Hey guys... I think I might be on to something.. check out this post in this forum here:

http://forums.kustompcs.co.uk/showthread.php?t=35634

This guy started having the same problem after swapping towers.. I started having problems after switching video cards.. my NEW video card warned to have at LEAST a 250 WATT power supply.. which I have.. but is it possible that with the poiwer demands of my new card theres not enough juice left over for Bitcomet?

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers

Rob

Maybe Ill go buy a 15000000000 Gigawatt power supply and see what happens...

Hi Axemonkey,

Sorry for delay in replying to your topic.

I have two new members in tech support, so hopefully we will get less delays in response time in the future.

If you get no reply within 24hours (in the future), feel free to send me a PM with a link to your post, and I will reply.

Regarding your issue, if you suspect your problem is caused by a power suppy issue, or video card issue, then I suggest you run a couple tests to determine if this is the case.

First of all, I have found that most power supplys actual rating is meaningless, since most cases are of poor quality (in terms of quality control) when tested after manufactored.

It is not practicle to get into technical issues in testing your power supply in a forum post, but if you have the tech knowledge, then you can check for voltage drops/fluxiation under load when using.

If not, then a simple test would be to unplug all unecessary divices from your power supply (as a test). By unecessary, I mean not required to run your operating system and bit comet, like your optical drives (cd/dvd drives), floppy drives, any secondary hard drives, usb drives without their own power source, etc...

If that resolves the issue, then you can assume your power supply is either not providing enough power, or is defective.

In regards to your Video card, you can try swapping your orignal card to see if that resolves the issue (as a test).

If that resolves the issue, then there might be a driver update from the manufactor that addresses the issue, or a tech bulletin regarding how to resolve this.

At the very least, you will know what direction to look at to resolve this.

Suspect

I have another question... cause I want to give this a try. If I wanted to remove EVERY SINGLE piece of information that Bitcomet put on my system.. registry entries.. EVERYTHING..files settings etc. so as to leave NO trace of it whatsoever, and try a brand new fresh reinstall.. where would I find all these things?

Cheers

Axe

I'm glad this was resolved.

I think the problem was in your configuration files, not someting directly related to install, but I can't be sure.

I think its likely that it would have worked if you did a complete Uninstall, then installed again.

However, I'm just happy the problem is fixed.

Suspect

I'm glad this was resolved.

I think the problem was in your configuration files, not someting directly related to install, but I can't be sure.

I think its likely that it would have worked if you did a complete Uninstall, then installed again.

However, I'm just happy the problem is fixed.

Suspect

Actually.. as you will see in my final post with the solution.. I tried that. Actually I tried it many many times, making sure to clean up all files and fragments left behind, and even tried installing to every drive on my system. I'm fairly certain it was the install.

Cheers

Axemonkey

I am actually very sorry, but I have to reopen this thread with the exact same problem. My cpu spikes up to 100% for a split sec and nothing helped.

I tried reinstalling the prog (and deleting everything) 4 times now and it didnt work. I upgraded to the 0.75 version and it didnt help either.

I downloaded the zip file and started the prog without installing and unfortunately : nothing .. the problem resists.

So, i really dont know what to do.

Maybe the torrent im downloading is to blame .. i dont know. Is that possible, is there any other solution you might have discouvered but not mentioned yes.?

Please help .. i also dont want to look for anything else than this programm. ive been using it for 1 1/2 years without any complains :(!

Thank you in advance for you support.

Jack Bauer

(I really did all the standard procedures: such as cleaning the registry .. deleting all file/ reinstalling , so this is definitly not the prblem!)

Adding to the post above, I have exactly the same problem running a Core 2 Duo e6400 with 2 gigs of ram. I switched from Azureus after having exactly the same problem. Except from my task manager not reporting the cpu usage in the process tab. It does, however, report it in the statistics tab. Both azureus and BitComet are causing 100% looping spikes in 1 of my cores causing my system to slow down extremely and halts the speed of every torrent to 0kb/s

Edit: I did some digging in my system logs and is seems both programs are causing concurrent checking loops in C++ as well as Java causing 1 of my cores to revert into 100% meltdown

Adding to the post above, I have exactly the same problem running a Core 2 Duo e6400 with 2 gigs of ram. I switched from Azureus after having exactly the same problem. Except from my task manager not reporting the cpu usage in the process tab. It does, however, report it in the statistics tab. Both azureus and BitComet are causing 100% looping spikes in 1 of my cores causing my system to slow down extremely and halts the speed of every torrent to 0kb/s

Edit: I did some digging in my system logs and is seems both programs are causing concurrent checking loops in C++ as well as Java causing 1 of my cores to revert into 100% meltdown

I am a bit confused by your post, since Azureus uses Java, bit comet does not. and bit comet uses C++, Azureus does not.

As you appear to be stating that both programs are "causing concurrent checking loops in C++ as well as Java".

Can you clairify this statement.

I would also like to confirm that you are using a stable version, upto .70.

Suspect