To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Discussion Topic for latest BitComet client release

As a similar topic was created in our old P2P forum, this will now become the a discussion thread ONLY for the latest release of the BitComet Client.

Please note that this topic is not intended for suggestions/requests for the next BitComet client release, any suggestions should go into our BitComet Client Suggestions Forum

For Specific Issues/technical support, please create a new topic in the appropriate sub-forum.

Latest version of BitComet Client is 0.70

• 2 weeks later...

I updated my bc to 0.70 the day it came out and been running it on and off a couple days now. So far so good, going to try some heavy torrenting sometime this week and see if things are ok. I use to do heavy torrenting 24/7 everyday, but all the isps put caps in about half a yr ago otherwise I'd be able to comment on stability by now. Can't really comment on the chat, I never use it and have had it disabled.

God damn!

One of my favorite trackers are going to BAN ALL BITCOMET CLIENTS. Even 0.70..

What is wrong with these guys? They say that you can cheat with Bitcomet. It's bullshit..

But I can't do anything about it :(

Please do so we can choose what our clients name should be. Like instead of: "Bitcomet 0.70" we could choose our own name. Wouldn't that be great? That way, Bitcomet would never get banned..

First, you can cheat in BitComet I have done it a few times deal with this truth.

Second, bitcomet already announces itself to the tracker as bittorrent 3.4.2. Changeing the name will not help, it will only justify this ban.

Third, for those trackers use µTorrent.

First, you can cheat in BitComet I have done it a few times deal with this truth.

Second, bitcomet already announces itself to the tracker as bittorrent 3.4.2. Changeing the name will not help, it will only justify this ban.

Why the HECK has RnySmile not done so you can't cheat with the client then?? He is hurting every BitComet user with this.

Hmpf.. So afterall BitComet isen't the world's best Bittorrent Client, if it really is true that you can cheat.. :(

Const2k. It is related to this topic, since we are discussing the latest release of BitComet. Why the maker hasent fixed the "bug" so people can cheat.....

Its not a bug, and he has fixed it pretty well.

From my own use & various tests the only way I see to stop the cheating now is to prevent the editing of the trackers on .torrent files with the private flag. Because all you have to do is delete the tracker and paste "DHT Network" in its place. You have to paste DHT network back in every few hours or so because BC will delete it.

Been running 0.70 without any crashes so far. So things are good on that front, but I did note that throughout the week my router crashed several times (which didnt happen when I was on 0.64) and seeding was extremely slow compared to before I updated. Could be coincidence but seems unlikely...

Anyone else noticing similar behaviour?

I'm no saint in terms of uploading but I do like to upload back at least a reasonable amount. What I'm experiencing after the update is basically next to no upload activity on torrents that are not downloading.

Update: Hmm well ran some new torrents aside from my seeding tasks, seems to seed those at a better speed after they complete. Is it that starting a task that goes straight to seeding uploads slow? Been slow (combined u/l of 7-9 KBps as opposed to the usual maxing my cap of 35 i used to get on 0.64) on all completed torrents that re-ran to do seeding (tried about 10-12). At these kinds of speeds its wasting more bandwidth on overhead than actual seeding.

Its not a bug, and he has fixed it pretty well.

From my own use & various tests the only way I see to stop the cheating now is to prevent the editing of the trackers on .torrent files with the private flag. Because all you have to do is delete the tracker and paste "DHT Network" in its place. You have to paste DHT network back in every few hours or so because BC will delete it.

Sounds great! So it's a step in the right direction :)

Hi there.

Here's something I'd like you to have a look at:Cheat.gif

And here's my question:

Does anyone with BitComet 0.70 get at least 1 peer with BitComet 0.70 AND MORE THAN 0.0% completed?

I have two ideas on that and both are weird... Tell me I'm wrong...

• 1 month later...

Version 0.71 has been released. Here is the changelog

GUI Improved: Add "Move file to..." function to task list context menu
GUI Improved: Add task catalog manage functions to "download complted" task queue context menu in favorites list
GUI Improved: Add task catalog set and locate functions to task list context menu
GUI Improved: Improve task list display algorithm, decrease CPU usage
GUI Improved: Add Half-Open TCPIP connection limitation modafication for Windows XP SP2, in Preferences dialog
GUI Improved: redesign "tast automatic stop" settings in Preferences dialog
GUI Improved: remove task pause, resume operation
GUI Improved: remove "Global Log" window, in which the infomation displayed is merged into "Statistics" window
GUI Improved: Improved crash report program, send crash report to server directly instead of using email
GUI Bugfix: fix the bug that the BCTP link is not displayed correctly if opened from internal browser in BitComet
GUI Bugfix: fix the bug that the music in webpage of video play window does not stopped after video play starts
Core Improved: no longer depends on MSXML3, no need to install MSXML3 in windows 98
Core Improved: improved file piece request algorithm, increase the launch speed of online video play
Core Improved: more program run-time error can be detected by the crash report
Core change: Chat, Proxy, NAT Traversal via UDP, IP block rules is removed temporarily
Core Improved: kernal code reconstruction

This seems more like a beta than an actual release to me, since many options have been temporarily disabled and a few new options are being tested.

Also Dark Shroud is not gonna like the new option built in that can change the TCPIP.sys file without the need of the Lvllord patch.

hmm this

GUI Improved: remove "Global Log" window, in which the infomation displayed is merged into "Statistics" window

was a good option, it was missing only a scroll ability.

for example to see exactly which port is listening. i am getting only locals when install 0.71 and don't know which port BC is listening. i wanted the logs to confirm that bc is listening the port i set in options but its gone :(

I have just upgraded from bitcomet 0.66 to 0.71 and am not able to get any download or upload. Am also unable to start a download for an existing torrent as that icon is pale. Have also got a message at the bottom of the screen that I am not logged in, but no option to log in.

Any suggestions please?

or....you do some very, very dirty stuff with the help of a disassembler :)

Forget all the "bitcomet patches" which are floating around..they're halfa$$...the only way to "fake" another client requires changing/patching the BC code....well...enough said.

Anyway...i think, to all the trackers which ban a widely used and GODD client like BC...just **** 'em...there are enough other bittorrent sites around !

Why the HECK has RnySmile not done so you can't cheat with the client then?? He is hurting every BitComet user with this.

Hmpf.. So afterall BitComet isen't the world's best Bittorrent Client, if it really is true that you can cheat.. :(

Const2k. It is related to this topic, since we are discussing the latest release of BitComet. Why the maker hasent fixed the "bug" so people can cheat.....

the bitcomet/client ID is generated on the fly IN THE CODE...so he defintly did something so patching/faking is not that easy...but you can do *anything* if you spend the time/effort.

But its pointless..the problem FOR SURE is not BitComet....but the stupidity of the trackers/site-owners. Look at an average torrent and how many people use BC.... its MANY !

Why ban them ? Chose another site then because the one who ban are idiots.

bittorrent lives from the "community" and many people participating/sharing...and we dont need torrent-nazis which ban a huge number of people using a widely used client because they think so.

Rgarding patching: See above....this doesnt only apply to BC.....theoretically you can patch any other client to pretend being any other client if you some programmign knowledge

bittorrent lives from the "community" and many people participating/sharing...and we dont need torrent-nazis which ban a huge number of people using a widely used client because they think so.

Their site their rules, if you don't play by them you suffer for it. They took the time to set the site up and maintain it while offering it for free only asking for $1-$2 donations. And BC is banned in a lot of places because the older versions are crap and people cheated too much using that client.

I've got some issues with BC since I upgraded from 0.70 to 0.71:

* I lack the option to set the upload speed of individual torrents. Only the general upload speed was left in the preferences. I don't see anything in the release changes resembling this "improvement". Any others who have this?

* I (and apparently a lot of other BC-users) can't connect to private trackers: "tracker response error: torrent not registered with this tracker!". As I generally use private trackers, this is unacceptable for me. :angry:

* When moving the mouse cursor over stopped torrents, the cursor blinks. Apparently this does not occur with torrents that are trying to connect the tracker (yep, "trying to connect", as they can't as I described above :P ).

* And as lots of others I also have the "Not loginned in" message at the bottom of BC. I don't even know what it's for...

I guess I'll uninstall 0.71 and revert to 0.70 until at least the issue with the private trackers is resolved.

And I hope the individual upload speed as reimplemented. Otherwise I'm seriously gonna think about using Azureus again.

And BC is banned in a lot of places because the older versions are crap and people cheated too much using that client.

Then I will suggest to remove the older bugged (cheating able) versions from the archive so noone be able to use them again ever. This probably will help many private trackers to unban BC.

Edited by dimchopicha2003 (see edit history)

I've got some issues with BC since I upgraded from 0.70 to 0.71:

* I lack the option to set the upload speed of individual torrents. Only the general upload speed was left in the preferences. I don't see anything in the release changes resembling this "improvement". Any others who have this?

* I (and apparently a lot of other BC-users) can't connect to private trackers: "tracker response error: torrent not registered with this tracker!". As I generally use private trackers, this is unacceptable for me. :angry:

* When moving the mouse cursor over stopped torrents, the cursor blinks. Apparently this does not occur with torrents that are trying to connect the tracker (yep, "trying to connect", as they can't as I described above :P ).

* And as lots of others I also have the "Not loginned in" message at the bottom of BC. I don't even know what it's for...

I guess I'll uninstall 0.71 and revert to 0.70 until at least the issue with the private trackers is resolved.

And I hope the individual upload speed as reimplemented. Otherwise I'm seriously gonna think about using Azureus again.

Hey i got that same last problem, but its still works ok...

Also i have another problem, i cant organize the dl/ull, like when u click on the status tab or % tab, if u have a h*** lot of running torrents (usually 20dl, a lot of ull and stopped or paused dl), it can be quite messy...

Anyone else has this problem??

Hi, I juz upgraded to bitcommet .71 and i dont know why it juz telling me that it cant find the listen port. then i decided to restart my computer. after restarting, it juz wont download anymore. It said that 'error torrent cannot find the target folder' but i havent moved anything anywhere. I used norton firewall, and as far as i remember, i have allowed it to run.

Can anyone help me, please?? thanx >.<

I recently installed the new 0.70 and I tried BTing, but I coudlnt get any downloads going (there were plenty of seeders), then I tried the 0.71 still nothing happened. And it apprently lags my connection really badly. The previous version I used never had any of these problems.

I have been using BitComet for years now, and usually stay up-to-date with the latest stable/official release. I was really happy to see a new, non-beta release of BitComet, so I downloaded it on my flash drive and installed it onto six of my friends' computers. Four of those friends have called me during the last few days and told me that their BitComet applications are having problems, something I have never heard of from my friends. I do not yet know what is wrong, as I haven't gone back to their apartments yet, but I wish that 0.71 wasn't released prematurely.

And yes, these six of my friends still do not know how to install and uninstall programs, even though they use computers for over a dozen hours a week each and have been doing so for many years.