To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

I have a problem with bitcomet

It seems every time i end up using bitcomet my computer ends up having major problems. After a while it randomly restarts because of some error and progressively over the next 2-3 days it will get worse by restarting over and over again because of some error and at the times when I do get my computer to work several programs come up saying that they are having problems running and such and finally I have to use my restore disks in some way to get it working again. This hasnt just happened to me once, and it hasnt just happened on this computer, it happened on the other computer i had switched to at one point and now ive switched back and its happening again. It doesnt seem to happen when i use bittornado, but I dont really like bittornado recently because recently it makes me restart the download like every half hour because of some problem, and bitcomet doesnt make me do that. If anyone has any solution to this problem I would really like to hear it, because I like bitcomet, I really do, but i dont wanna have to fix everything again.

Oh and it isnt with any one specific torrent or anything, it has happened and its been with different torrents each time

a few days ago i ended up having to reformat my computer because of the restarting problem gettin worse so i dont really have too much set up on my computer. earlier today i downloaded BC and started runnin it, and about an hour ago my computer restarted cuz of some error with an unknown driver. Next time it has the error i will post it here cuz i set it to not automatically restart so i can read what it says. I know I dont have a virus because i just did a virus scan and nothing came up.

Yes make sure to get Bitcomet directly from Bitcomet.com

What did you use for the virus scan? If its not fully up-to-date then it may have missed some newer virus.

It sounds like you have hardware that is in need of new drivers. (what network card do you have?)

I get bitcomet directly from bitcomet.com, yes i have windows xp, and my virus scan is norton antivirus 2004 with up-to-date definitions, cept recently when i had to use my restore disks to fix windows it made me reinstall norton antivirus and sumthins messed up about it cuz it doesnt work when i download and uninstall these couple of updates. Im pretty sure its not just some virus because it only happens whenever i put bitcomet on my computer and use it. Someone else has this problem and here is the thread

I can not say if bit comet is related to this crash problem, but have seen service pack two cause this error on many occasions.

If you do reinstall your operating system again, I suggest using service pack 1a, its much more stable.

I would also update all your drivers, as these problems are often corrected in driver updates.

Suspect

It seems every time i end up using bitcomet my computer ends up having major problems. After a while it randomly restarts because of some error and progressively over the next 2-3 days it will get worse by restarting over and over again because of some error and at the times when I do get my computer to work several programs come up saying that they are having problems running and such and finally I have to use my restore disks in some way to get it working again. This hasnt just happened to me once, and it hasnt just happened on this computer, it happened on the other computer i had switched to at one point and now ive switched back and its happening again. It doesnt seem to happen when i use bittornado, but I dont really like bittornado recently because recently it makes me restart the download like every half hour because of some problem, and bitcomet doesnt make me do that. If anyone has any solution to this problem I would really like to hear it, because I like bitcomet, I really do, but i dont wanna have to fix everything again.

Oh and it isnt with any one specific torrent or anything, it has happened and its been with different torrents each time

Firstly, you don't give any spec on your pc's

But assuming you are on xp and have at least 512ram with fairly new unit, you should be ok

I have run BC on a whole heap of machines without any problems

As has already been mentioned, make sure you download BC from http://www.bitcomet.com/

Dump all the crap that probably comes on your windows install, like anti virus etc, etc...

Clean up your registry too

Limit start up and running processes to only what you need

Install avg free anti virus http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 and scan your pc

and spybot s&d http://www.safer-networking.net/en/download/index.html

see how you get on

spybot is a good program, and good advice.

I would not recommend avg antivirus. Here is a link that reviewed quite a few antivirus programs and avg did poorly...

http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=69&mnu=69

Suspect

ps. link from soraiya

EDIT: in a newer test they did, avg did slightly better, but far from acceptable in my opinion...

http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=72&mnu=72

As for specs i have a gig of ram, 60 gig hard drive, windows xp with service pack 2.

I KNOW bitcomet it related to the problem because I dont have any problems with my computer until i get bitcomet and use it. Yesterday i ended up having to reformat my computer again because it wouldnt let me fix windows after i restarted it to remove norton because it messed up and wouldnt even get to the desktop anymore, but now i have it working again. Ive determined im NOT going to download stuff again on this computer.

Just a question tho, which is better, Norton antivirus or AVG? norton for me has done pretty well, i dont blame it for the times that its messed up recently because much more then just it usually messes up when i was having the restarting problems.

The number and kinds of problems you're having don't seem to fit.

I suspect that your problems with BitComet are just symptomatic -- it's stressing and using your computer harder than most other programs you run do. If that's the case, BitComet isn't the cause, it's just one of the victims.

Where I've seen this problem before is in hardware defects. The primary suspects are system memory, and the network connection.

Visit memtest.org and download memtest86+ in whatever format's most convenient for you. If you have a CD burner and know how to use it, go for the bootable ISO format, since it's easiest. (Just burn the CD, then boot it and let it run.)

For the network connection, it's usually best to swap it out and see if your problems go away. If you can temporarily borrow a friend's, do that. If you have a desktop, network cards are widely available and very cheap, under US$10, so it might be worth your while to just buy one for testing and possible replacement. If you have a desktop, it's a little more expensive for a PCI card, but that's what you'll need. Depending on the system, you may need to disable the built-in network connection in the bios first, but it usually isn't necessary. You'll have to set up a new network connection using the replacement card, but that's pretty routine.

well a few days ago i was doing something and my computer restarted and it the error reporting thingy said it was a driver error and i updated my sound card driver (i believe my sound card is a PCI sound blaster or some combination of those words) and it hasnt happened again since, im still hesitant to get bitcomet again because i dont want to have to fix my computer AGAIN.

well i tried the memtest thingy, i made a boot cd and put it on there and rebooted my computer. it said some stuff, nothing that it said really looked bad, then it said searching USB HDD drives or something close to that (ive already forgotten, never been much for remembering things well) and it like froze there. there was a little blinking text thingy several places below that message, like where you would type but if i pressed anything nothing would happen and it just sit there so i had to turn off my comp and start it again without the cd in there.

as for the internet thing, when i moved my computer into my room i changed it to a wireless connection and the last time that the problem happened i was using the wireless connection so i dont think it was the network connection.

lol, i couldnt remember what it was called, the blinking rectangle, anyway i found out why it stopped there. It was because i had my external hard drive put in, but it wasnt turned on. So when i get home tommorow I will do the test again without it hooked to my comp

ok, well i got home and i tried the boot disk again without it in, and it stopped there again, so then i tried it without anything in my usb ports, and it still stopped there, then i tried it with everything in and on, and it STILL stopped there, so i donno what its problem is.

When you say "stopped", are you sure that it stopped? It's not going to do a whole lot of dramatic things, it's simply going to repeatedly test your memory in a variety of ways, and continue until you tell it to stop.

You need to observe the screen and the results of the tests, and to make sure it's had time to repeatedly test all of your memory in all of it's modes. It's not designed to shout or wave flags saying, "Hey! Your memory just failed an important test! Looky here!". It'll just indicate a failure and expect you to read and notice that.

This isn't the graphical prettified interface you're used to from windows. This is a text-based interface, and that was what we all used all the time before Macintosh and Windows came along. It doesn't lead you by the hand, or try to make it easy on everyone. It's a technician's tool and fully expects you to do your bit.

ok first off, sry for the long time before the reply, i sorta forgot for a while. Anyway, yes im sure that it stopped because it doesnt do anything, i mean its not acting as if it is, its not making any other sound then the fan or anything, and ive even let it sit there for a little while and still nothing happens. I understand that its not designed to make it completely obvious that something is wrong, but theres the fact that i cant even read half the stuff it says because it just goes through almost the entire thing in like 10 seconds while everything quickly flashes and goes up the screen as it says more stuff, and it says more then just a little bit

Plan to let the tool run for a long time, several hours. Overnight would be good, or during the day when you're away from the machine.

It's going to sit there and do multiple tests on all the banks of your system memory for as long as it's running.

There is a sort of table midway down the screen, with labelled columns. The counts below the labels will be updated as the testing progresses. The columns you are most interested in are on the far right and labelled "Errors" and "ECC Errs".

Check these two columns and see if the numbers are above zero. That indicates faulty memory.

If the errors start piling up immediately, there's no need to wait, you know you've got problems, so stop the tool and replace your memory. Otherwise, if it's been running a while and still showing zero errors, your memory has passed the test.

You need to let it run so long because the most common memory errors are "soft" or transient -- they don't always show up every time, just sometimes. Memtest86+ is really good at finding these.

ok, i guess tonight ill let it run when i go to sleep and ill try to find the table u were talking about

but i still say that it seems to be doing nothing when it stops where it says "checking USB HDD drives" but whatever, ill leave it runnin all night

Your screen ought to look very similar to this:

amd64-big.gif

You should see changing numbers and information in the top right section of the screen as it performs its tests and makes multiple passes through memory. Most of the rest of the screen should be unchanging. If that's not what you're seeing, do your best to describe what you are seeing and we'll try to figure out what's going on.

erm, my screen looks nothing like that, and when i did it i was right, it did stay at the point where it said it was searching for the USB HDD drives. My screen is black with white text that isnt stationary, it says enough stuf to make the screen scroll down making it so i cant read what it first says after a few seconds and it says various stuff like its trying to check if something is enabled or verified and then it checks my usb stuff and it finds my usb stuff then it stopps at searching for the USB HDD drives.

now i might know the problem, is the way that im supposed to put this on a cd in just a data cd or should i put it in a boot disk format? because i have nero 6 installed and it gives me a few options of what to make the cd. the first time i tried to make a data cd and put the memtest on it but when i shutdown my comp and then started it again with the cd in it it just booted like normal, without doing the memtest.

tho it might not have helped that i took the same cd and then used nero to turn it into a boot cd, it didnt have any problems with doin that, it just said that if i did that i couldnt get to the info that was already on the cd before i turned it into a boot disk.

possibly tommorow if i can get my moms camera i might be able to take a few pics of my screen to show you some of the stuff it says...

Assuming you downloaded an ISO file, a CD image, Nero shouldn't be asking questions like that. It will create a bootable CD, yes, but if you have Nero create a bootable CD, it won't work at all. Nero will create a DOS/Windows boot, while MemTest is a flavor of Linux.

I forget what Nero calls it, since I haven't used Nero since I got tired of creating drink-coasters, but IMSMR it's a separate option when Nero starts. You may have to hunt around for it, but this is a disk image, and it shouldn't be asking things like "data or bootable"?. It should simply burn the image, whatever's there.

You may want to, um, acquire PowerISO (which you'll need anyway if you ever come across a .DAA file) to just burn the image without all the fool questions.

Once that's done, you need to boot it. Ideally, put it in the CD drive and reboot, the screen should tell you that it's booting from CD etc.

ok, thanks for the help. I found the way to burn a disk image and then i restarted my comp after i burned it to the cd. memtest ran, looking just like it did on ur pic. tonight when i go to sleep ill run it again, but this time it should work. at some point i may look into getting PowerISO in some form (probably in no way paying for it because im not paying $30 for a program thats very close to the one i have for free)

I was planning on taking pictures of my screen, but there isnt really a need to do that now that the problem is out of the way.

ok, i ran the test and almost immediately the errors started piling up. There were about 100 by the time it got to about 15% passed. Though i think it is odd that the first time that i ran it to just see if the disk worked, didnt have a single error and it was gettin along through test 3. Then the second time i ran it, it started showing up errors before test 2 even ended, and got a whole bunch of errors in test 3.