To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

I have a problem with bitcomet

ok, well after lookin around the info for memtest i ended up switching my 2 RAM modules and then i ran the test again. The result was overall for the first like 4 passes it only had 1 error but with a high count of that one error (the count increases a random number, usually between 1 and 16) in test 4, then on the 5th pass, it found another 2 errors in test 4. I donno if it will help, but ill give the info on the errors so far. I'm going to leave memtest running for the next 3 hours, because im not going to be at my computer anyway.

The 3 errors are....

Failing Address______________Good_______Bad__________Err-Bits______Count

0002b1f781c - 689.4MB_______e0f9fc74_____e0fbfc74______00020000____44

00028eb7bfc - 654.4MB_______a5751228____a5741228_____00010000____1

0002b1f781c - 689.4MB_______4ee920f3____4eeb20f3______00020000____31

00028eb7bfc - 654.4MB_______8b6de453____8b6ce453_____00010000____1

0002b1f781c - 689.4MB_______1c8972a8____1c8b72a8_____00020000____2

another 2 poped up while i was typing this, both still from test 4 only

Since you don't have to have both modules in place to run the test, you can find out which one has the errors (if, hopefully, it's only one of them.)

This would probably be a good time to start looking at local sources and prices for RAM.

yeah, i suppose tommorow ill test each one individually, ive already set to buy some more ram. When i came back after the 3 hours, it ended up there being about 390 errors after the 12-15 (i cant remember exactly how many) passes

Hmmm, im just curious, but how many errors should i allow there to be? i mean like i know all errors are bad, but how many should i let there be within say 13 passes to have it be salvageable? currently with just one in there it has 42 errors in 13 passes. 35 of one error, 1 of another error, and 6 of the third error. interestingly most errors seem to be found in the 4th test. Because i dont really wanna sit here for another 2 hours because i actually wanna use my computer now, i might wait until tommorow to test the other one alone.

and now that ive tested the other piece of ram, im just gonna end up keeping the other piece because i let it test it for 9 hours, with 34 passes, and it didnt find any errors. so yay! imma get to have a gig and a half of ram instead of just a gig.

Well, as you already discovered, the correct answer is zero errors. The tests performed are well within the design specs of the memory, and if it fails the test, it will, sooner or later, fail a program with results such as you've already seen.

You might think that one error is just, oh, cosmic rays or something. Memtest was written with that in mind, which is why it does so many different tests so many different ways. If it reports an error, that's usually very solid.

well i tested the new ram, it checked out with no errors. Then i tested the new ram with the old ram that had no errors, and after 24 passes it had no errors. So far there hasnt been any problems like before, but also it didnt usually happen within the first few days either. So im usin bitcomet again, hoping there wont be the restarting problem again. Anyway, thanks for all ur help everyone.