To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

libutp - The uTorrent Transport Protocol library.

"libutp, an open source implementation of µTP, has now been released"

I'm no expert and I'm not really comfy with bandwidth management friendly protocols either.But if this thing happens to be the key to keep those pesky uTorrent peers at bay properly and helps with performance then I don't see the harm in trying?Plus maybe it's not that hard to just yank out the part off the branch if it's not working?Proceed only on beta until it's ready for main if possible?

Edited by Suo.Eno (see edit history)

It's not likely.

µtorrent could have and should have put this on SourceForge if they *really* intended to share it with anybody. Instead, they put it on very new and very tiny repository, GitHub.

GitHub charges for access if your product is not open-source, which means that almost every client except Vuze would have to pay for the privilege of seeing their so-called "open source" code. That was a really .... crap-headed ... thing for µtorrent to do, just a transparent maneuver to make their competition look like the guilty ones for not adopting something "open source", that nobody has a budget to pay for.

I don't know how µtorrent justifies this to itself, but it looks like Firon is getting kickbacks from GitHub, or maybe µtorrent secretly owns them.

Actually, you could do the most to advance this -- if you really want to advance it -- by screaming at µtorrent for this on their forum, and demanding that they put this on sourceforge, or that µtorrent pay for a GitHub subscription for any closed-source torrent client developer (almost all of them) who wants to access this. If they don't you'll know it was just theater to deceive you.

Open-source my aspirin.

It's not likely.

µtorrent could have and should have put this on SourceForge if they *really* intended to share it with anybody. Instead, they put it on very new and very tiny repository, GitHub.

GitHub charges for access if your product is not open-source, which means that almost every client except Vuze would have to pay for the privilege of seeing their so-called "open source" code. That was a really .... crap-headed ... thing for µtorrent to do, just a transparent maneuver to make their competition look like the guilty ones for not adopting something "open source", that nobody has a budget to pay for.

I don't know how µtorrent justifies this to itself, but it looks like Firon is getting kickbacks from GitHub, or maybe µtorrent secretly owns them.

Wow I didn't know about this?Thanks for pointing it out.I honestly thought that GH works just like SF?Oh and btw it's being worked on in libtorrent here http://code.google.com/p/libtorrent/issues/detail?id=6 as I've found out from Deluge's dev forums.

Actually, you could do the most to advance this -- if you really want to advance it -- by screaming at µtorrent for this on their forum, and demanding that they put this on sourceforge, or that µtorrent pay for a GitHub subscription for any closed-source torrent client developer (almost all of them) who wants to access this. If they don't you'll know it was just theater to deceive you.

Open-source my aspirin.

That I intend to do.So would you mind if I repost these quotes back on uT's forums on top of further questions I'll forward to them?

Edited by Suo.Eno (see edit history)

Bunch of quotes...

Ultima, Admin

Slow uptake? The thing was open-sourced a whopping six days ago. How -- or better yet, why -- do you expect every single client to have already picked it up?

As for kluelos's response... Unless he expects that BitComet has to host their project on GitHub to access source found on other GitHub repositories, then I don't see what his point is. There's a big freaking "Download Source" button at the top of the page if they cared to use the source. If they wanted to collaborate on the project, they don't have to pay because it's an open-source project. If they use source code from an open-source project found on GitHub, they don't have to put their own closed-source project on GitHub. And given libutp's license, they don't even have to open-source their own client if they want to use it. What source code hosting site BitTorrent chooses to host their open-source project on is absolutely irrelevant when the source license allows for free redistribution/reuse.

Quite honestly, it sounds to me like kluelos is making excuses more than anything else. No, I'm not saying BitComet is obligated to adopt uTP or use libutp, but if he's going to bother "explaining" why BitComet is unlikely to implement uTP support, then he's going to need to stop using GitHub as the scapegoat and try giving a real reason instead. And maybe stop playing the tinfoil hat and trolling game too while he's at it -- that'd be a nice bonus. Well, I guess I'm assuming here that he even cares to have people take his words seriously.

DreadWingknight

Honestly, kluelos needs a clue.

BSD licensed code IS open source, people don't need to pay for access.

Greg Hazel, BitTorrent dev

kluelos is incorrect here, as has been stated. He should actually read about Github.

Github is a source code hosting service just like Sourceforge. Github does charge if you want to host your own private repository, or if you want to run a copy of Github on your servers. Sourceforge has a similar non-free version http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SourceForg … se_Edition . libutp, however, is open source so there is no cost for us to host it on Github or to anyone who would like to contribute. You do not need to pay anything to see, download, or fork the source code. It is right there: http://github.com/bittorrent/libutp

uTorrent is a closed source application, and is not hosted on Github in public or private form. Similarly if libutp was hosted on Sourceforge, uTorrent would not be required to host their either. BitComet is not required to pay or even have a free account on Github, just as no account is needed to download from Sourceforge. Github is just where I chose to host the project because I find it to be faster, easier to use, and less smothered in ads than Sourceforge.

Firon, uTorrent dev

Sourceforge is a piece of s***. That's why it's on Github.

And I don't know of kluelos is dumb or trying to spread FUD, but you don't need to pay to access github. Of course, anyone who spent about 5 seconds looking at our github page for libutb would have seen that.