To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

windows media player

craigaj

Every once in a while when I try to play a new file. I get a message that says , windows media player can't play file. The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file. I am wondering if the file was uploaded incorrectly or if there is something that I can do on my end? I have tried using other players and they still don't play. Just checking to see if anyone is having this problem and can help. They are always files that have 100% heath bars and are avi. Only happens once in a while.

Every once in a while when I try to play a new file. I get a message that says , windows media player can't play file. The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file. I am wondering if the file was uploaded incorrectly or if there is something that I can do on my end? I have tried using other players and they still don't play. Just checking to see if anyone is having this problem and can help. They are always files that have 100% heath bars and are avi. Only happens once in a while.

It's probably a codec thing. When I downloaded some CSI:NY episodes in avi it wouldn't open it in any of my media players either- does the message say what the codec is that it can't support? If it does, write the name of it down, search for it on google and you'll find downloads for the codec. Once you've downloaded and installed the codec it should play fine on all your players. Another good way to go about solving this is to download FFDshow it's a nifty program that can see what codecs you have and don't have-it analyses the file and tells you what codecs you need to watch it. Fixed the problem I was having watching a Doctor Who episode. You can download from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow

Hope that helps! :)

It's probably a codec thing. When I downloaded some CSI:NY episodes in avi it wouldn't open it in any of my media players either- does the message say what the codec is that it can't support? If it does, write the name of it down, search for it on google and you'll find downloads for the codec. Once you've downloaded and installed the codec it should play fine on all your players. Another good way to go about solving this is to download FFDshow it's a nifty program that can see what codecs you have and don't have-it analyses the file and tells you what codecs you need to watch it. Fixed the problem I was having watching a Doctor Who episode. You can download from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow

Hope that helps! :)

No the message is verbatim in my first post. I have the [Afreecodec] program and tried to fix the problem with that, it says the file isn't an avi. program and can't be analyzed. Is ffdshow a better program?

No the message is verbatim in my first post. I have the [Afreecodec] program and tried to fix the problem with that, it says the file isn't an avi. program and can't be analyzed. Is ffdshow a better program?

Definitely. I couldn't figure out why all my files in one torrent could play except for one file and FFDshow analysed it. Told me what codecs i didn't have and I looked for them on the net, downloaded them and it finally played. Try it for sure.

Definitely. I couldn't figure out why all my files in one torrent could play except for one file and FFDshow analysed it. Told me what codecs i didn't have and I looked for them on the net, downloaded them and it finally played. Try it for sure.

Thanks downloaded it today. Other than a little malware which was easy enough to do away with adaware, it seems to be a great product. Hope it fixes the problem I sometimes have.