To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Limit Max number of open files

I recently attempted to use BitComet to resume a torrent containing several thousand files.

After I start the torrent, I wait for a bit while it starts checking the files I already have against the .torrent file. After a while, the process errors out saying that I have too many files open.

By contrast, BitTornado does not have any problems with this torrent. Then again, it also has an easily locatable setting labeled "Max number of open files" which defaults to 50.

Is there a way to limit, on a torrent-by-torrent basis the number of files that BitComet has open at once?

Is there a way to limit, on a torrent-by-torrent basis the number of files that BitComet has open at once?

Well, I'm not an "official" type here so am supposed to shutup, but your post has languished a few days, so absent better advice, here is a annoyingly painful trick you may want to selectively play with.

First off, it may be some O/S tuning that is needed. You got suckered into running XP perchance?

Anyway, for the torrent, click on the "FILES" button and then select the files you want to shut own for a while. Ctrl-A sadly does not select all. but click one and then shift click the end of a range and you get those in between, too, and/or ctrl click individual ones to select or deselect them, Then right click the bunch of them, and select priority and within that go click "Disabled". To return them to operational status, click "normal" for priority.

Take a fraction of your files at a one time this way, if you must.

Now, maybe someone with a better answer will pipe up (please!).