Jump to content
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BitComet makes the router disconnect


Recommended Posts

I am the sorry owner of one of the "bad routers", namely a Linksys BEFSR41v4, and said router seems to have developped a certain allergy to bitcomet during the last hours.

I've had this router for a couple of months and I never had a problem with it, nor with BitComet (no disconnections, satisfying download/upload speeds) until this afternoon it suddenly decided to disconnect from internet everytime I launch BitComet. Now thing is I'm not much of a computer tech-y so I'll try to be as precise as possible.

This problem seems to have started when I foolishly wanted to launch eMule for the first time since I got this router. I didn't want to bother too much with it since I almost don't use that program anymore so I quickly looked at some router faqs to configure stuff according to this page (Windows XP UPnP instructions). But since I had absolutely no clue about what I was doing, I put all the settings back to normal once I had closed eMule, thinking I would thus avoid any future router configuration problem. Turns out I didn't, cause the whole BitComet problem appeared right after that.

Now everytime I launch BitComet, internet connection goes *poof* after ~10 seconds (no traffic on BitComet, impossible to open a website, IM programs log out, etc). My lil status tab in the router configuration page thingy stays stuck on "connecting" and gives me all sorts of cute error messages about PPPoE, IPs and all that kind of funny stuff for anywhere between 5 to 20 minutes before finally getting back on track.

I did read about the "200 global connections" thing, but I couldn't find exactly where you set that up and therefore couldn't test it yet (owning a french version doesn't help). But I'm more surprised about how I didn't have any problem with this router, and never with BitComet and now it all suddenly goes berserk :blink:

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Try lowering your Maximum Connections per task to 70 or so, and if that works you can keep raising it until it kicks your connection again. Set it to just below that number. You can get to Max Connections by clicking on the Preferences tab, then click on Connection, then click on Maximum Connections per task and set it to 70. Its the fifth option from the top, directly under Remove Port on NAT/Firewall(XP only). Hopefully this will solve the problem for you. If not, you might have to reconfigure your router.

Edited by Dark_Shroud (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
  • Create New...