To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

having problems with internet browsing while bitcomet is open

oapy123

Ok I'm on a Dell Latitude d600 laptop...internet works fine, wired or wireless, through my Linksys wrt54gs router, that is until I open bitcomet. As soon as i open bitcomet, within like 30 seconds to a minute I begin having problems viewing any web pages. It will either make my web browsing go so slow it wont even load up google, or it just wont work at all. I was told its probably a problem with bitcomet trying to use the same port as mozilla firefox or something crazy like that. Its not an internet problem because normally internet works fine and bitcomet always works fine, it just kicks me off of web browsing. I'm thinking it has something to do with the settings in the router, but what would I need to change in order to fix this problem?

The problem is either that you are saturating your upload bandwidth and so DNS requests time out, or your router can't handle the number of connections that Bitcomet makes.

The solution to the first problem is to set a reasonable Global Max Upload Rate for your connection

The solution to the second problem is to lower the total number of connections that Bitcomet makes or try to find alternative firmware for your router.

I go into a little more detail about both of these things in my Settings Guide (link in sig)