To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Quick Seeding Question

When seeding, the completion percentage stays at 100. This sounds like a hashcheck failure at the end, so BC decided it needed to re-download some pieces. When it completes and passes a final hash check, BC will automatically try to seed the torrent without further action on your part. How long you seed is up to you. IMSMR, there are some preference settings that can control this, but the general rule is to seed until your ration is 1:1 and you've uploaded at least as much as you've downloaded.

That sounds like you've either moved the previous download, or changed the download directory for this torrent or for BitComet as a whole. In that case, it's going to download the whole thing again.

You need to set the download location to your existing download, then run a manual hash check so BitComet knows what it's already got.

That sounds like you've either moved the previous download, or changed the download directory for this torrent or for BitComet as a whole. In that case, it's going to download the whole thing again.

You need to set the download location to your existing download, then run a manual hash check so BitComet knows what it's already got.

Heh, I'm having the same problem.

I've changed the path my default d/l dir (that would be a problem? ???), but the files I'm trying to share weren't d/led to begin with. And I haven't moved the file-sets from which I created the torrents.

Take a look at this to see what I'm talkin' about: http://forums.bitcomet.com/index.php?showtopic=1218

Let's try it step by step.

I've got, oh, a tv series, season 1, all episodes, that I want to share. I create a torrent file, and when it asks what I want to create the torrent out of, I point it to the directory I created earlier, that has all those episodes in it, and nothing else. I tell it the tracker I want to use. I tell it where I want it to put the torrent file when it's done creating it. I tell it "go", and it trundles along, and eventuallly creates a new .torrent file in the location I chose.

I fire up my browser, go to the tracker's web site, and upload my torrent to it so others can see it and download it. The tracker says "OK, got it".

Now I open my bittorrent client, and I load in that .torrent file that I created earlier. It asks me where the download location is for this torrent. It will default to the default directory I specified in my client's preferences, but that isn't the right place this time. I want to point it to the directory where those files already exist and are to be shared. So I browse to that path, so it can find those complete files. I tell it "ok", start.

Now I check it, because I expect it to say that it has 100% complete and is seeding. If it does not, then I stop it. I double-check that I've specified the correct download directory. I take into account the quirks of my particular bittorrent client. BitComet wants to be pointed to the directory CONTAINING the directory with my files, while µtorrent wants to be pointed to the directory itself. I make sure it's correct. Then I tell the torrent to perform a manual hash check. It will go through all the files and make sure it's got 100% of the torrent contents. (This may take a while). If it doesn't, or finishes quickly and says it's got 0%, then I know I've got the directory location wrong, and need to try again. I keep at it until it says it's got 100%. Then I start it up and it will begin seeding. The download % will not change during the seeding process, it will stay at 100%.

If it does change, something is wrong -- maybe I've pointed it to the wrong directory, and it's slowly discovering that it does NOT have all the files in that directory where they're supposed to be, so it's gradually dropping the % as it's DOWNloading and discovering things aren't there that should be.

Let's try it step by step.

[...]

Now I open my bittorrent client, and I load in that .torrent file that I created earlier. It asks me where the download location is for this torrent. It will default to the default directory I specified in my client's preferences, but that isn't the right place this time. I want to point it to the directory where those files already exist and are to be shared. So I browse to that path, so it can find those complete files. I tell it "ok", start.[...]

Ack! That was the trouble! Though it didn't explicitly ask for the path to the source-file(s), there is a field there in the General tab > Save Location box. It seems that peers are actually beginning to get the file-sets now! I like to share--Sharing is Caring. :)

I had already submitted the torrents earlier, but I've just now corrected the mistakes. Do I need to re-submit the torrents now corrected? Or is that not necessary?

Thanks! I had been trying to do this for the past two days! That's all I had to do! You rock, man! kluelos is god...or somethin' like that hehehehe

but the general rule is to seed until your ration is 1:1 and you've uploaded at least as much as you've downloaded.

I think that is a good rule, but because i'm new to bitcomet, i don't know what you exactly mean

yes, i do leave my files to be seeded so other people can upload them

but how do u check to see if your ration is "1:1"??

Sorry, that should be "ratio", not "ration". One column in your torrent list is labelled "U/D Ratio", and it's this that should be at 1.0 or better, indicating that you've uploaded as much of this torrent as you've downloaded. It can take quite a while to get it there.