To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Comcast infringement notice

werewolf

I have just recieved an e-mail from comcast that they were notified about copy right infringement noting "Monsters vs. Aliens" which I downloaded using bitcomet 1.15, can anyone offer a suggestion as to how I can continue to test the capabilities of bitcomet without going to jail or getting a huge fine?

The second thing you can do is avoid downloading new material like that. These are the things that their watchers watch for. That has the added advantage that releases of movies that are still in theatres are almost always terrible -- camera captures with lousy sound, a bad angle, moving heads etc. If you wait for, say, a DVD rip you get a much better viewing experience.

The third thing you can do is enable encryption in your client if you haven't already. This will enable anyone who doesn't really want to know, to say that they don't know what you're doing.

But the first, and most important thing you can do is to leave Comcast, and to tell them that you're leaving because of this letter. This helps Comcast to learn that threatening customers is bad for business, and that playing netcop for the MPAA costs them money.

There are many ISP's who have already figured this out for themselves, and most of them offer better service.

The second thing you can do is avoid downloading new material like that. These are the things that their watchers watch for. That has the added advantage that releases of movies that are still in theatres are almost always terrible -- camera captures with lousy sound, a bad angle, moving heads etc. If you wait for, say, a DVD rip you get a much better viewing experience.

The third thing you can do is enable encryption in your client if you haven't already. This will enable anyone who doesn't really want to know, to say that they don't know what you're doing.

But the first, and most important thing you can do is to leave Comcast, and to tell them that you're leaving because of this letter. This helps Comcast to learn that threatening customers is bad for business, and that playing netcop for the MPAA costs them money.

There are many ISP's who have already figured this out for themselves, and most of them offer better service.

can you tell me how and where to enable encrypyion?

Please don't quote the entire message you're replying to, especially when it's immediately above yours. Use the quotation function only when you need to isolate a particular phrase you're addressing.

Look in the Preferences/Options/whatever, for the option to enable encryption. It will be worth your time to study all of the various choices available there, because much of BitComet's behavior is controllable that way.