To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Connection Keeps Dropping

oldphoneman

I am having continuing problems with my "local area connection" dropping. This has been happening at least 5 -8 times a day. Very frustrating. I have a Motorola SB3100 Cable Modem connected to my Vonage (VOIP) Motorola VT2142 Modem, and then finally to my Airlink AR420W Router, then to my PC. Even though my Cable Modem is connected to the Net, I continue to get "Local Area Connection" - A network cable is unplugged. Then a few seconds later "Local Area Connection" is now connected/speed:100Mbps, then a few seconds later "Local Area Connection" this connection has limited or no connectivity. Then a few seconds later I get connected again. This is driving me up the wall. I think it is a case where I don't have my Vonage Modem and Airlink Router properly configured so that I don't keep getting these error messages. I am able to address both my Vonage Modem and My Airlink Router, but I am not real sure on how to configure them to stop these intermittent connection errors. I am using Win XP Pro with Firewall enabled and BitComet in the exceptions. Also using AVG Free Antivirus. Hopefully I can resolve this problem with someone's help. I would be grateful for help.

The Motorola VT2142 is not a modem but a router with only one LAN Ethernet port and VOIP features provided for standard (fixed-line) telephone machines through 2 "RJ11" connectors. It seems you're not the only one having problems with it, as you can see here.

Do you use in any way the VOIP features of the VT2142?

Anyway, try taking out of the loop the VT2142 and see if the problems go away or not.

Thanks for the help. I haven't had any real problems with the VT2142 using it for VOIP between the Philippines and the States. Works like a charm, connections are clear and very, very seldom start garbling, dropping out. Almost all the time, it sounds just like the prson on the other end is just right next door. One plus about the VT2142 is that my PC can be off and I can still use the phone. I am going to do as you suggested by taking it out of the loop and see what happens. Will post results. Thanks again for the swift reply.