To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Turning off the annoying "quick find" bar

I've searched the help base and the forum and can't find any mention of this.

I get the annoying-to-me "Quick Find" search bar a lot at the bottom of my screen, when I begin to type something in a form online or other times when I haven't requested "quick find" (not that I know how to start it). I want to DISABLE it. I am perfectly happy with my CTRL + F find function, which I use intentionally and doesn't just pop up and accept my typing without my permission.

How do I turn off this "Quick Find" function?

Thanks.

I don't know of any way to disable it, but I've never had it intercept me when filling out a form, or indeed at any time. I had to deliberately click outside of a form and start typing in an inappropriate spot to get it to appear, in order to confirm what you're talking about. I'd never seen it before.

If you don't start typing in the wrong spot, there's apparently no problem. I gather you do that a lot? There may be an add-on that disables it, but I've never looked for one, so I don't know.. This is behaviour inherited from Firefox, so you will probably have better luck asking on their forum.

No, I don't type things in the wrong spots a lot lol. It happens also when I'm trying to use the CTRL ++ and CTRL +- to zoom text in and out. Well since you don't know any way to turn the idiotic thing off, I'll try the Firefox forums. Thanks anyway.

planet48,

Welcome to the forum. B)...

Thanks for the welcome and the easy instructions to turn off the "quick find." Sure I care what you think; I might turn it back on and see if it's useful in long artlices, as you suggested. Thanks also for the info about pages loading; if it happens frequently, I will let my ISP know.

You've been real helpful. Namaste! :D and gracias! :D

Edited by greywizard
Removed full qutation (see edit history)