To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BitComet Windows 7 Problem

I've very recently upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit from Windows Vista Business 32-bit, and am having problems with BitComet.

1) What version of BitComet are you using?

Version 1.16

2) What type of Internet connection do you have (ADSL, etc.)?

ADSL

3) Do you have a modem? Do you use a router? What model? Have you forwarded your port?

Sagem ADSL Router F@ST2504 SKY. Port forwarding seems to be fine.

4) What version of Windows, Firewall and Antivirus do you use?

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit. PC Tools Firewall (free version), AVG Antivirus (free version).

BitComet seems to be causing major slow down on my machine. Moving windows (e.g. Google Chrome, Windows Explorer) across the desktop becomes very sluggish, and media playback is a little sluggish with distorted audio (clipping, popping sounds). My CPU usage seems to skyrocket after using BitComet for a few minutes, regardless of the download speed.

I had no problems using BitComet with Windows Vista Business.

All of my drivers seem to be up-to-date.

Thanks.

Open the Task Manager when this happens and find out which process has got the most percentage of the CPU. Is it BitComet or another process? If you can, maximize the Task Manger Window and take a screenshot (hopefully you'll encompass all proceses) and post it here.

Do you by any chance have a Nvidia motherboard?

Hi. Thanks greywizard for replying: I appreciate you giving your time.

I took two pics of taskmanager: the first was while listening to the radio online, and the second was when I was watching an online video. In both instances the sound was clipping, despite the much lower CPU usage in the first instance. This sound distortion stopped seconds after I closed BitComet in both cases.

My motherboard is an ASUS m2n68-la, with an onboard nVidia graphics card (geForce 6150SE nForce 430), and NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet.

I don't know if this helps, but my problem doesn't occur when using JDownloader, which transfers downloading data much faster than BitComet does.

post-54996-12589955751.jpgpost-54996-125899559541.jpg

Well, the pics you posted are not totally relevant. As you can see you have around 60 processes running but only aprox 20 showing. I guess you should click on the "Show processes from all users" to get the full list.

Furthermore, in your second pic I can see that you have 95% CPU usage of which 64% is taken by Iexplore.exe (which is huge) but it doesn't show where the rest of 30 something % goes.

Anyway, the first thing you should check is if you have the Nvidia firewall installed. It comes bundled even with Asus mobos chipsets drivers, as well as with the Nvidia Forceware drivers. If you have installed it (even unknowingly) search for it and uninstall it (disabling it seems not to work).

You can also check for 2 of its processes (nSvcAppFlt.exe and nSvcIp.exe) in Task Manager, both on the Processes tab (with "Show processes from all users" enabled) and on the Services tab. If you see any of these running than you certainly have Nvidia firewall installed.

If it turns out that you don't have Nvidia firewall installed then it must be something else. I'm not ruling out even the possibility of a bug in BC itself but since it's happily running on lots of other machines, it would have to be something very exotic. Usually it boils down to software conflicts. Unfortunately, they're not always easy to pinpoint.

Now, the problem you describe is in fact 2 problems. If you complain about heavy CPU load, that's one thing.

But if you complain about sluggish Internet connection, that's not necessarily related to the former. In fact, the first thing you should check is if you have the connection settings of BitComet set properly.

What kind of connection type (xDSL, cable) do you use and what kind of equipment (modem's, router's make and model)? What speed?

Furthermore, what are your connection settings in BitComet?

Also, can you tell me what exactly is Bit Comet doing when it takes 60% of CPU? Is it after you performed some operation (i.e. adding some tasks) or just normally running? How many tasks are you running?

Especially if you are adding tasks to your tasklist from Torrent Collection that will cause some very sluggish Internet behavior of the other applications, until BC finishes querying the for .torrents of those tasks (and either finds them or drops the task).

I've checked task manager with the processes from all users shown, and there is no sign of nSvcAppFlt.exe nor nSvcIp.exe .

I know that in one of the pics I posted it shows that 64% CPU is taken by Iexplore.exe, but for some reason, BitComet seems to occupy a lot of CPU itself. I was just watching an avi file and had BC running in the background, and BC's CPU usage started to increase up to 50%+, causing audio distortion in the avi file playback. There was nothing obvious causing this: the download speed had remained pretty constant throughout. Once I stopped BC, media playback was flawless.

The number of files being downloaded and uploaded in BC doesn't seem to make a difference. At the moment, I have only the one torrent going in BC; whereas with Vista, at one point, I had about 20 downloading and 10 uploading (total speed of over 1.5 Mb/s on some occasions) with absolutely no problems.

Just to clarify, I have no problems with internet speed. My internet package is 12 Mbps downloading and about 700 kbps uploading. My connection is ADSL, and my router is a wireless Sagem ADSL Router F@ST2504 SKY, but I'm connected to it via an ethernet cable.

My listening port has a green light, I have 'NAT/firewall configuration' and 'UPnP port mapping' both enabled, and I've limited the global max upload rate to 25 kb/s.

Try falling back to v.1.15 or v.1.14.

See, if it exhibits the same behavior or not.

If it does do the same thing then try installing an alternate BT client (such as uTorrent) and see if you get the same behavior.

This way you'll be able to narrow down the problem to a single version or client type or alternatively, to find out if it's a problem related to BT in general.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again Grey Wizard.

I took your suggestion and have installed uTorrent. I have used it for a few hours without coming across any problems - so far. I'll continue testing it over the next few days.

If I were to roll back to a previous version of BitComet to see if that helps matters, would this affect the files that I am currently downloading?

Thanks again.

You can export your tasklist through File-->Import and Export menu.

Also save your \Torrents folder. In Win7 it should be under Users\%userprofile%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BitComet. But you should check to see it contains your torrents indeed.

Just for testing's sake, try and disable your firewall. If it still loads any processes after disabling it use a startup manager application and temporary remove all the startup keys it has. Also set any services of it on Manual mode.

See what happens.