To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Magnet link Firefox problem

Hi!

I'm having trouble using magnet links with Firefox. When I press a magnet link Bitcomet starts up but I get an error message saying "Torrent file opening failed!".

It works fine when i use Internet Explorer. I have tried using both Bitcomet 1.17 and 1.18. Any ideas how to fix this issue?

Firefox works fine for me, with v.1.18.

Do you actually get an intermediate dialog box like this one?

post-53766-12647218278999.jpg

If not then go Firefox-->Options-->Applications page. There scroll down the list until you see in the left column (Content Type) the "magnet" entry. Either choose for that "Always ask" in order to get a dialog box like the one above (in which you can experiment with all the entries available) or choose in there, directly, another entry than the one selected actually until you find the one which works.

Usually the right one is called something like: "BitComet - A BitTorrent Client". Once you found the right one you set it either by leaving it selected in Firefox-->Options or by putting a check-mark in the "Remember my choice for Magnet Links" checkbox in the dialog shown above (which will in turn select that entry for you in Firefox-->Options).