To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Help. Bitcomet and VPN

Hi

I am new to Bitcomet and been using 1.19 for about 1 weeks now.

I have use other clients for some years.

Right now, i could not get Bitcomet to work with a VPN connection.

It didn't detect the VPN assigned IP (which is public). Not using any proxy.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you.

1) What version of BitComet are you using?

Ver 1.19

2) What type of Internet connection do you have (ADSL, etc.)?

ADSL 10M

3) Do you have a modem? Do you use a router? What make and model are each one of them? Have you forwarded your port?

Router used. It does NAT. NAT traversal used for VPN. Port forwarding open for Bitcomet listen, works fine without VPN.

4) If you have more than one router, be sure to mention the make and model of both devices, how are they connected (i.e. in which connector of both devices is the network cable plugged) and which one of the devices is connected to or is the modem.

Also, if you have more than one computer make sure to mention in this case, to which router is every one of them connected.

NA

5) What version of Windows, Firewall and Antivirus do you use?

Kaspersky Internet Suite

6) If you are asking about a specific torrent or file that you have downloaded, make sure that you include the complete torrent name, as well as the complete names of the files and their respective extensions/formats (e.g.: .rar, .wma, .bin, .cue, etc.).

NA

7) For speed-related issues, please run various speed tests at a site such as speedtest.net (make sure that no other computer is using your Internet connection and that all other programs - including BitComet - are closed, during the tests). Include the results, along with the settings that you are presently using, in your post, so that we may review and offer suggestions to improve its performance.

No issue with speed.

Using Nortel VPN client.

Thanks.

Edited by tasukete (see edit history)

Without VPN, can detect the ISP IP.

With VPN, cannot detect any IP.

BTW, Nortel VPN use a virtual adapter "Nortel IPSECSHM Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport".

There is no split tunneling enabled, so all traffic has to be via the tunnel when VPN.

Am wondering is Bitcomet trying to detect the IP via the actual NIC rather than the virtual NIC.

Edited by tasukete (see edit history)

I'm not sure what happens in your case.

I've tested BitComet with Hotspot Shield and it detects the IP assigned by VPN.

Forgive my ignorance but to what end do you use the Nortel client?

I mean, is it for anonymous navigation of the Internet, or what? Does the VPN NAS server route your connection queries Internet wide (to any IP) or are you connecting to a remote private site?

Well, you'd have to open the port you're using on their NAS server I guess.

I don't know if Hotspot Shield is meant to offer service from behind a VPN (and BitTorrent needs to act as a service). You may try and scout their site/forums/FAQ to see if this option is available.

The only VPN service which comes to my mind now, and does what you ask is IPredator from TPB. You have to pay a monthly fee though (about 5 euros I think). But along with that you get the certainty of total privacy, since their servers don't keep any logs and their service is specifically shaped for P2P (enough bandwidth to avoid being a bottleneck on your connections).