To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Cometbird Minimizes Unexpectedly, Unable to retrieve!

Hi all,

I've searched thoroughly here in the forums and separately online, but cannot find a resolution; Apologies if I have missed the answers somewhere :unsure:

I have an intermittent problem with Cometbird; It 'minimizes' unexpectedly into a small window. I cannot maximise it back to normal, and have to close and restart the program.

I have not found a pattern that I can attribute to being the cause, although I think it happens generally when trying to load a new page or refresh. I also run Chrome and Firefox, and neither present the same problem. If anyone could advise I would be most grateful.

Software etc:

Windows Vista home Premium (Service Pack 2), 32 Bit

Cometbird Ver 3.6.2

McAfee SecurityCenter Ver 9.15 - Personal Firewall Ver 10.15

Windows Defender

Many thanks in advance,

Sarah

PS I have checked the 'Troubleshooting Information' page in case the answers are in there somewhere!

Cometbird Troubleshooting Logs 04042010.txt

Edited by s4rahj (see edit history)

can you make this happen fairly regularly, I mean, even not knowing exactly what the cause is? Can you generally start browsing and feel pretty confident that it will happen within the next hour, or three hours, or some regular interval?

Hi Kluelos,

Thanks for your swift reply. By chance, I had the issue happen again this morning. I say 'by chance' - I was trying to use a Greasemonkey script at the time. I have a few repetetive things automated. It's made me wonder if there is an issue in there somewhere. I had forgotten that I have Greasemonkey running in the background all of the time even if idle - my apologies.

With regard to how regularly it happens. Some days it doesn't happen at all, others it happens several times. Perhaps I should keep a diary of when it happens and what is running at the time?

Again apologies that I didn't mention Greasemonkey previously. I also use IMacro sometimes but this has never produced the same issue.

Thanks,

Sarah

This does indeed look like unintended consequence of a script that runs intermittently. If it does happen fairly regularly, I suggest disabling greasemonkey and seeing if that makes a difference or makes it stop happening. In that case you have a script-debugging task.

Hi again! - thank both so much for your replies. It does indeed look like it is something in Greasemonkey that is causing the error <_< . I ran Cometbird without it for a few days and had no minimization issues during that time. As an interim solution, a friend suggested I override the Javacsript function to move or resize windows. This has fixed the problem as a work-around. It's not ideal but working none-the-less!

I plan to disable the Greasemonkey scripts one by one until I find the culprit. it will be something inconspicuous somewhere I'm sure.

Kntro - thank you for taking the time out to explain how to create a separate Cometbird profile. I didn't even know it was something you could do! I'm one of the dangerous sorts that knows 'bits'... And can cause catastrophes by 'thinking I know' stuff. Lol - not that I should laugh. It's hardly funny :blink: :P

Anyway... Again many thanks for your help. It's good to know Cometbird wasn't to blame because I think it's an amazing browser.

Kind regards,

Sarah

Edited by s4rahj (see edit history)