To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Can't open bookmarked sites in a new tab

I'm using the latest Cometbird 3.6.3. I never had this problem before. Something happened that changed it. This is my issue:

Before, when I click on any of my bookmarks, a new tab opens automatically at the end with the webpage that bookmark represents. So, for example, if a click on my "NBA" bookmark, the webpage of the NBA opens in a new tab at the end. Now, nothing happens. Nothing happens if I click on any of my bookmarks. If I have multiple or 1 tab opened, nothing happens when I click on any of my bookmarks. I need to open a new blank tab first - then go to that new tab - then click on any of my bookmarks so they can open in that new tab. This is very frustrating. It used to be a 1 click action.

This issue started when I upgraded from 3.5.2 to 3.6.3. But reverting to the previous version didn't solve this problem. Did I uninstall an addon that's suppose to support this? Tried options->tabs menu but nothing fixes this.

Thanks in advance

Edit:

I downloaded the "Open Bookmarks in New Tab" addon, but still nothing happens...

Edited by moksha (see edit history)

Fixed it.

Went to safemode then checked "disable all addons" and "restore comet default settings". Restarted cometbird and enabled only the addons I installed including "open bookmarks in new tab". Disabled all the extensions that came with the cometbird installation. I read somewhere that this version is not compatible with those extensions/addons. Why did they include it in the installation then?

So-called not compatible addons for this version

bitcomet video downloader

browser ui enhancement

cometmarks bookmark synchronizer

ctrl-tab

software update checker

As far as I have tested, all of these addons work just fine.

Do you have anything beyond an anonymous claim that they don't? Add-on compatibility has always been an issue for firefox, and the "always open in new tab" behavior you describe certainly sounds like an add-on. There's no certainty, though, than any given one will work with CometBird. Most of them probably will, but do need to be specifically tested.

I remember when I downloaded the latest version, it warned me that these add-ons are not supported by the version 3.6.3 and advised me to disabled it. Of course I didn't disable them, then that's when the problem occurred. I tried to uninstall them instead, but for some reason, the weren't (couldn't be) uninstalled. So I did what I did on my second post. And that fixed the problem. :)

I can't reproduce any of that, so I don't know what to tell you. I wasn't so warned when I downloaded and installed CometBird, haven't had any problems with the add-ons, and they seem to work just fine in 3.6.3. However, none of them do what you describe. There's another add-on that does, and that might not be compatible, but it's a separate issue.

I enabled every add-on I have, including the ones I listed above. Guess what? No problems occurred. I am able to open my bookmarks items in a new tab just by left clicking on them. Maybe starting cometbird in safe mode and enabling it to its default/manufacturers settings fixed it (then I manually reconfigured settings). I am now using normal mode without any problems.

Anyway, thanks for your response. Good to know someone is here monitoring users' concerns. Thanks.