To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

A few thoughts on web gui

b3333r

I don't know whether this is a bug or a feature, but web gui port gets closed when you set "no listening mode" in options. This happens even when BT port and geb gui port are different. It would be nice to have web gui up and running even when BT is disabled. Say I don't need BT but still want to download files via http or ftp using web gui.

Also an option to restrict web gui access to specified IPs would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If BitComet is running but has no torrent tasks, then you are not going to be on any tracker's list of interested peers, nor in the DHT database for any torrents. That means you shouldn't receive any bittorrent traffic on your standard listen port since nobody gets your address in lists of interested peers. Any bittorrent traffic you do receive obviously won't do any good. Any non-bittorrent traffic will be disposed of as it already is.

That being so, there's no reason I can see for using no-listen-port mode under this circumstance. It's not a security hole. I'd just leave the listen-port open when you're doing this.

What DOES concern me, now that you bring it up, is opening a port for the web interface when BitComet doesn't have remote download active or isn't running at all. I need to think about that one for a while. Is BitComet opening and closing the Windows firewall port for remote download as needed? What about UPnP, does it work the same way/ is it controlled by the same interface options?