To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

comet rank

abletudu

Is BitComet any good?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Does Bitcomet work as advertised with its member rank speeds?

• It is the best program for torrents.
    • It is the best, Rank speeds work.
    • OK but rank speeds don't work
    • totally sucks, I'm outta here

I've been using Bitcomet for awhile and I am now a staff sergeant. The point is this: As I understood it as your rank went up your speeds should have gone up also. This does not work, as I am getting the same 29-40 kBs as when I first started using Bitcomet. Why would a 10GB file with 129 peers take about a week to download? Also why is my share ratio only 1.4 when I allow more upload than download. I'm going to wait about another week and if things don't get better, Then I guess it will be bye bye BitComet and hello another torrent system!

Edited by abletudu (see edit history)

The point is this: As I understood it as your rank went up your speeds should have gone up also.

WHERE did you "understand" this? At the bar on the corner?

What the BitComet Wiki states is: "Signing in at BitComet user interface may accelerate your download speed. With the same number of BT connections, signing in, will increase the Long-Time seeds number you can connect to. The higher the ranking of the CometID, the more Long-Time seeds that can be connected, therefore, the higher download speed you may get."

There is no guarantee that you WILL find LT-Seeds for any task you download. BitComet CANNOT force other people to use BitComet as a client nor can it force them to enable LT-Seeding in their client, so that you'll definitely find more LT-Seeds for a given task. Having a higher rank just gives you the possibility to connect to more LT-Seeds, but only if there are any LT-Seeds for that task.

Since LT-Seeds are BitComet clients just like you, nobody can forcibly rally other people, compel them to use BitComet as a client, to enable LT-Seeding in their client in the first place and oblige them to download the exact task you're downloading, so that you can get more LT-Seeds.

Therefore your reasoning lacks any logic.

I'm going to wait about another week and if things don't get better, Then I guess it will be bye bye BitComet and hello another torrent system!

Well, it's your God given right of free will to choose what to do and you can use any client you wish but if you're going to stay just as ignorant towards the new program you'll use as you are to this one, I wish you good luck but I think you'll run into issues very soon, again.

Besides, even when not signing in at all in CometID your client still has access to 40 LT-Seeds and even if you disable LT-Seeding altogether in your client, BitComet would still function as any other BitTorrent client out there. LT-Seeding is a bonus, which may help and come in handy at times, it DOESN'T replace any functionality of the normal BitTorrent protocol.

Why would a 10GB file with 129 peers take about a week to download?

There are many reasons why a certain task would download slowly (even the notion of slowly is a relative one, depending on your connection's capabilities and your expectations/patience).

To name just a few:

• incorrect network settings in your client;
  • closed listen port;
  • faulty router;
  • low number of aggregate copies of the task inside the swarm;
  • most of the peers hold the same pieces;
  • too many simultaneous tasks running at the same time as compared against your overall set upload bandwidth,

... and the list can go on.

Since you didn't bother to make a proper post about this and to give details as described in the "Read This before posting" link on top of this page, this is going to stay a rhetorical question as there is nothing anyone can do to solve the mystery for you.

I guess it's much easier to wine like a baby instead of manning up and trying to do, learn or understand something about it.

Also why is my share ratio only 1.4 when I allow more upload than download.

Leaving aside that I have no clue what you mean by "allowing more upload than download" this is an entirely different issue. As above, you don't bother to specify about what task you speak, how much data has been downloaded/uploaded for that task, if the task has finished or not and why do you think that 1.4 is too little?

An 1.4 ratio means that you uploaded indeed more than you downloaded (i.e. 1.4 times more or 140%) so I don't figure how you think that anyone could understand what your issue is without more data.