To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Advice for new user please

Timazipan

Hi I'm new to downloading and I want to make sure I'm doing it right. I have lots of films that I am draging into torrent share and they're status is (downloaded click to view task). I want to be sure that doing this is making them available for everyone to share. My computer is on pretty much 24/7 so I'm leaving BitComet logged on, I'm assuming this allows my torrents to be available all the time which is good, right. Also when I'm in torrent share and I click on a torrent a red flag comes up over the downloaded symbol. Please can you tell me what it means.

And finally if anyones got any advice on speeding up download speeds I would very much appreciate it. Is it right that the longer I am logged in and the more I upload my download speed will increase along with my rating. Here's some info from my account. Can you tell me if this is average.

DHT Connected 1552

Listen port is blocked. (I think this might be because I use a wireless router as my firewall says it is accepting BitComet).

Average download speed for one download at a time is 230kB/s.

Thankyou so much (in advance) for any help you offer, there seems to be a certain etiquette to downloading and I want to get it right and not be a leech!!

Edited by Timazipan (see edit history)

I get the impression that you're a bit confused. Either that or I didn't get you right.

BitTorrent is not like DC++ or eMule or other sharing networks/protocol's clients. It doesn't use the same concepts and methods.

You don't just "drop" files or folders into a "sharing" directory from where all others can download them whenever they want.

Instead BitTorrent revolves around the concept of "torrents" and "peers". Basically "torrents" are small metadata files which you will download from a web site index or elsewhere and which contain essential data about the files that you want to download as well as about about how to find the sources from where you can download those files. As soon as your client has read the .torrent file it will join a "swarm" of peers which use the exact same .torrent file to download the exact same content.

From where do they download? FROM EACH OTHER! Someone, the initial seeder, made the torrent and started seeding it (sharing the files) and as soon as other peers started downloading a few pieces from him, they already started sharing those pieces among them as well!

That's how BitTorrent download works (in an overly-simplified description).

The base concept is that you download from others and others download from you.

Conclusion?

If you want to do your part and share back to the swarm (and to the community in general) KEEP THE TASK SEEDING in your Task List after you've finished downloading it! And do that up to a ratio of 1.5-2.0. Then you'll know that you shared back to others what you've been given for free.

That is the ONLY way to share in BitTorrent Network.

Torrent Share is a feature of BitComet that makes available to other BitComet peers the .torrent files that you downloaded BUT NOT THE ACTUAL FILES OF THE TORRENT!

So, it's not there that you should focus your attention in order to share. Those files are automatically added to Torrent Share when you add a task to the Task List (if that option is enabled) so you needn't bother to do it manually.

My advice is to make some time and start reading the BitComet Wiki. You'll find in there answers for 99% of the questions you may have.

You may want to start with the Tutorial section and then lend an eye to the FAQ section.

The whole interface of BitComet is also explained with detailed images in there and you'll also find descriptions of the whole Torrent Exchange feature and inside in a sub-section you'll also find a description of the icons you ask about in the Torrent Share interface topic.

Last, we can't really answer the question about your download speed without knowing your connection's capabilities. That is the down/up speed (as advertised by your ISP in the contract) and the real tested down/up speed as tested on a test site such as http://speedtest.net.

But one thing's for sure, you won't get the best speeds possible for your connection until you have an open listening port!

If you find yourself curious about that, check that FAQ I've told you about above, there is a topic inside dedicated exactly to that.