To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Port blocked after re-booting

IIIan

I am using BitComet 1.31(64bit) + E-Mule plug-in(latest update). I have an ADSL2+ connection using a Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn Modem/Router . My OS is Windows7 Ultimate 64bit and my Anti-Virus is Avast Pro Antivirus program version 6.0.1367, which to the best of my knowledge has no firewall , leaving only the windows firewall. My home network runs 4 pc's which are cable linked by a 4 Port hub and 2,4 port switches(allowing extra Internet connections for PS3's and X-Boxes).

I have gone into my modem/router and opened ports for my PC(port 45900) and also my wife's PC (Port 1900) for BitComet to use, (which gets rid of the yellow port blocked light) but i have found that when the PC's are rebooted the ports become blocked again. I have checked the modem/router and the ports are still open(no settings changed) This process is the same after re-setting the ports, (using different numbers) ,once i re-boot the ports yet again become blocked and the dreaded yellow light returns!

I am only a novice home user with an average understanding of IT, but I'm sure i have performed all the steps correctly including saving all changes in all areas.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Ian

You have neglected the very important step of setting your computers to use static IP addresses between the computer and the router. Since you still have the computer still set to use dynamic addressing (which is the default), the computer's IP address can change every time you reboot, reset the router, or that address lease expires.

The router's open port is still pointing to the right place, it's your computer that moved away from that address. Portforwarding.com includes instructions for setting a static IP address on your computer for every router and application but despite the boldface warning, "DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP", folk still skip it.

Tried to set a static ip with still no luck.Contacted my ISP and it turned out it was a setting on their end. I don't need a static (maybe an Australian thing??)ip as bitcomet now has all green lights. Thanks for all your help and your promptness.

Cheers

Ian

@mariambibi, the router didn't suddenly block the ports. Your computer moved out from under the IP address where the router is (still) holding the port open. You must tell the computer to stay at the correct IP address rather than moving around -- set a static IP rather than the (default) dynamic address.

@Illan, your discussion with your provider probably involved at least one reboot. After a reboot, your computer asks the router for an IP address, and may by happenstance get the one it used to have, where you set the open port to. All will seem to be well, until the address lease expires, or you reboot or otherwise have to request an address, and get a different one. Then your listen port will show as blocked again.

There's nothing that your provider can do. Their control stops at your router's WAN side. This issue is on the router's LAN side, which is your network, not theirs.