To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Download files in order

maynoth

wouldn't it be nice if bitcomet could download files in order. Like if you were downloading a (open and freely downloadable) TV series it would download episode first at highest priority and everything else at low. Then when episode one was finished downloading number 2 became high priority etc. This way you could begin watching the series faster.

i know you can do it manually. but if I leave my computer on for 48 hours to download a series it is not practical to check in on it every hour. it woudl be awesome if bitcomet could automagically download files in order like that

Thats not the way the BitTorrent protocol works. And its already being pushed when you set priorities. To set them to download in order would cause serious problems for seeders and hurt the speed of the swarm.

So set the first few for Highest then the next several for High and then leave the last ones normal.

wouldn't it be nice if bitcomet could download files in order. Like if you were downloading a (open and freely downloadable) TV series it would download episode first at highest priority and everything else at low. Then when episode one was finished downloading number 2 became high priority etc. This way you could begin watching the series faster.

Am I crazy or is that completely contrary to the entire concept of any bit torrent client? One of the ingenius concepts behind the creation of the bit torrent protocol was the idea that files did NOT need to be downloaded in a "piece 1 followed by piece 2 followed by piece 3" fashion. Theoretically this greatly improves download speed. The whole point of bit torrent (besides the removal of a centralized host) is to be able to grab any piece of the file you're looking for, check to make sure you don't already have that chunk on your system, and then wedge it into the (most of the time) previously allocated memory equivalent to the size of the would-be completed file. If you're looking for the other more traditional download technique, stick with Kazaa, Limewire, or any of those other (now defunct in my opinion) file sharing peer-to-peer programs.

well imho its nice to be able to watch a series as fast as possible. you can watch episode 1 while episode 2 is downloading. I still think this is a good idea, I really do not think it would hurt the overall download speed even if everyone did it because you would still be downloading all the other episodes, but the priority would be given to the first, when it was finished then the second would get highest priority, then third... etc. etc. etc.