To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BitComet killing internet.

ElfanZo, have you tried disabling the DHT Network and then restarting Bitcomet.

SP2 is most likely not the reason why your internet is failing, I have it installed on many a PC and have no problems at all.

Have you read this? -> http://www.p2pforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=134871#134871

The internet being cutoff has nothing to do with maxing out your bandwidth, it's more of an issue with the number of simultaneous NAT connections (or what your router thinks should be NAT connections. ie the DHT Network)

Maybe give us some info (ISP/speed, network hardware/firmware, antivirus/firewall, etc)

and we can hopefully help solve your problem :)

Yeah, my cousin & I have been using SP-2 with everything. We both have SBC DSL Pro. And yes they do throttle (in out area anyway) to a degree but its not extreme so it doesn't bother me too much.

SP-2 has become a big scape goat because there were so many problems with it. Most were from shoddy programming. SP-2 for XP patched a major hole in XP's security dealing with RAW sockets in the OS and root level privliges that exposed the OS's kernal to attacks. You remember all those virus and worm problems in the '00s. Win2k had this same problem as well, but not many home users had/have Win2k.

Now it did add a few changes to the TCP/IP, but that was only the limit and cue. It did NOT change the way TCP/IP works. That's not possible.

I've been having the exact same problems... and i've noticed one thing above anything else...

you said you had a motorolla cable modem... what version?

i have an SB4200 (that i got from comcast)... i've read here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-repli...cfm/188745.html

that this modem seems to have problems with multiple connections... anytime i use a download app that requires a lot of connections... the internet dies.... so maybe its the firmware for this sucker...

cuz when i use grabit... i get 700KB/s speeds and no disconnects EVER.... this is alongside with surfing the net, IMing... etc.... but as soon as i use bit comet or shareaza.... bam disconnect after about 10-30 min... depending on what i'm getting.

I've found this site to update the firmware for the modem:

http://sbmodem.tripod.com/

dunno how trustworthy it is... but its the only site i've found so far... will post results and what not..

EDIT/UPDATE:

Ok... the world is back to normal! It was the motorolla modem.. unfortunately my ISP disables SNMP.. so i couldn't update the firmware... so i just replaced the modem... and it works fine... i run Shareaza and Bitcomet at the same time... no disconnects...

been running for about 8 hours now... and the settings on both are higher than what i had them before... (doing it as stress test).

I had this problem about 2 months ago and I believe I was using 0.65 at the time. Anyways, I could not find a solution for the problem. So I finally broke down and called Bellsouth and they talked to me on the phone for hours trying to figure out the problem. They couldn't figure it out so they sent me a replacement for my Westell modem (exact same model).

It works fine for hours. So I figure I'll pull up BitComet and test it out. Sure enough only 30 mins of downloading it cuts out on me. So I switch back to 0.63. Left it on for a whole day without my internet going out.

So I believe its a problem with BitComet...letting too many connections in or somthing? Or maybe the RSS feed ... I don't know ... didn't seem like BitComet was having any major issues before the RSS feeds came in.

I've been using 0.63 since then and haven't had a problem since. So before uninstalling SP2 or doing something else that may just waste your time I suggest trying a version before 0.65 (I also didn't have a problem with 0.64 ... I just prefer 0.63).

Good luck. ;)

just wanna ask if anyone using this

TP-link TD8800 has disconnection problem for bitcomet too?

i dunno if it's this problem or my connection prob...

but b4 using this i can dl using bitcomet without disconnecting...

hope someone can help me out

and im also thinking it's teh latest bitcomet prob so i switch back to 0.63

but the problem still haven solve

my connection still went off if i open my bitcomet

• 2 weeks later...

when i use bitcomet , my internet non responsive , i can't use browser, email, yahoo.. and 2 computer in my house the same(2 PC). i tried reinstall bitcomet but the same ... however my bitcomet d/u very slow (10(max down)/ 3 (max up)). i don't know why . i connect internet by : Zoom ASDL X5. everybody help me / thanhks

• 9 months later...
http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/sb5120/

yeah, no router.

Just another guess, is it possible that a certain torrent file would give me bad connection, resulting in D/C? The certain torrent that I had for the past week (went very slow) finally finished today and I started a new torrent (popular, highly seeded) and I didn't notice any slow down or problems.

If it is possible for a torrent to do that, then...Well...!

If not, I will research this furthermore. I do kind of notice my D/L are a bit slower with DHT off so far.

I have this exact same modem that I received from Time Warner Cable and I am having the same problems with the internet dying out completely when using Bitcomet. I thought it was my Netgear router so I bought a new Linksys and that didn't solve the problem. I tried the lates version of Bitcomet and that didn't help either. I just tried disabling DHT and I will see if that helps. If not, then I'm going to the TWC store and see if they have a different brand Modem.