To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Slow Download Speed at the beginning

goody99

It is usually quite slow when we start downloading or at the end of our download. This is fine when there are lots of seeds or peers. However, it is ridiculously slow when there are only a few peers. This is quite common when the torrent has been published for quite a while. For example, there is one torrent that I try to download... there is only one seed with 5 peers. The health fortunately is about 300%. However, it may take many hours to receive the first 16kB, and take more than a few days or a few weeks to download the whole thing (500 MB). I notice that there are new peers try to download but they probably give up before receiving even the first 16kB. I am sure if the initial download is satisfactory, they will not give up like that. Since the download will be faster when more peers joins the download, I think it is best that BC can speed up when a new download is initiated. This will encourage more peers to participate and keep the torrent alive for a longer time. Just think about this real life scenario, if there is only 1 seed and 1 peer, how BC can help to make the download less frustrating?

K.C

• 1 month later...

It is usually quite slow when we start downloading or at the end of our download. This is fine when there are lots of seeds or peers. However, it is ridiculously slow when there are only a few peers. This is quite common when the torrent has been published for quite a while. For example, there is one torrent that I try to download... there is only one seed with 5 peers. The health fortunately is about 300%. However, it may take many hours to receive the first 16kB, and take more than a few days or a few weeks to download the whole thing (500 MB). I notice that there are new peers try to download but they probably give up before receiving even the first 16kB. I am sure if the initial download is satisfactory, they will not give up like that. Since the download will be faster when more peers joins the download, I think it is best that BC can speed up when a new download is initiated. This will encourage more peers to participate and keep the torrent alive for a longer time. Just think about this real life scenario, if there is only 1 seed and 1 peer, how BC can help to make the download less frustrating?

K.C

The torrent protocol is designed to be annoying to the newest downloader for the good of the swarm. When you start you get the rarest peace, even if this is annoying you will be happy to know is for your one good eventually. EX: did this ever happen to you? You and every one else got stuck with the download at 98% or something like that? Well if the protocol was changed to download the most common peace at the beginning you will get huge download speeds with slowly decrees towards the end, but here is the bad part if they do that then 90%+ of all your downloads will be stuck for weakest at 98% or something waiting fore some one to give them the missing part. Isn’t that more annoying.