To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Upgrade to newest version

dardruba

With reference to BitComet only, whats the point in upgrading to the newest version?

For all other aspects of computer working I upgrade when the latest version is posted.

In BitComet I've gone back to Version 0.70

But when downloading something popular today I looked at the Peers for the first time. In the list there were at least 12 BitComet users and all except me had versions between 0.61 and 0.64

Is there a reason why 12 users all chose not to update, at least to the latest stable Version 0.70?

Frequently it's just lethargy -- they never bothered to check whether there was a later version or whether they needed to update. We still get questions from time to time, and find somebody using a very outdated version.

On the other hand, don't fret about supposedly newer versions. BitLord reports itself as being BitComet 1.0, which does not exist. BitLord is a very old version of the BitComet code base, and hasn't been updated in a very long time. It also lacks many of BC's newer features. You can check the BitComet home page for the last stable version (which is the one you should choose) as well as later releases that may not be stable (use at your own risk.)

The benefit of upgrading is to take advantage of new features such as DHT, and to avoid defects in older versions.

With reference to BitComet only, whats the point in upgrading to the newest version?

For all other aspects of computer working I upgrade when the latest version is posted.

In BitComet I've gone back to Version 0.70

But when downloading something popular today I looked at the Peers for the first time. In the list there were at least 12 BitComet users and all except me had versions between 0.61 and 0.64

Is there a reason why 12 users all chose not to update, at least to the latest stable Version 0.70?

Yes they have reason, They can Cheat in bitcomet 0.60 0.65 using ratiomaker

in bitcomet 0.70 ratiomaker isnt working at all ;-)