To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

8Mb Broadband Connection

Martin34

Hi

I have a 8Mb Broadband Connection with AOL using a Netgear DG843G.v3 Router, as far as i know i have set the router up correctly using the howto's on previous posts. Etc: logged onto my router clicked on services typed bitcomet as the name , then for type i used TCP/UDP then added port number 64245, (i have also set these port up in windows firewall)....then i went to firewall rules on my router were i used the above info for service, then action i used always allow , then send to LAN Server i used the IP address of my router , having done all that i still seem to have a slow download rate , i have a download rate between 16kB and 60kB 30kB being the average download rate , my upload rate on average is at 35kB......i am downloading at the minute which there is 14 seeds 27 peers..health is at 1710%.......so my question is how come with a 8mB connection how come im only DL at 30 or so KB........any help and advice would be greatly apprieated

Thankyou

i am running Windows xp with SP2

i am from the UK

i use Demonoid to download torrent files

Why did you use your router's IP address? That was pretty confused. Your router doesn't need the information, your computer does. See www.portforward.com's section on how to set up a static LAN IP for your computer, and then how to configure your router's firewall to allow traffic for your listen port through to that IP.

• 2 weeks later...

Why did you use your router's IP address? That was pretty confused. Your router doesn't need the information, your computer does. See www.portforward.com's section on how to set up a static LAN IP for your computer, and then how to configure your router's firewall to allow traffic for your listen port through to that IP.

Hi Kluelos , the reason (BTW im new to this sort of thing, so i dont really know what im doing lol ) i gave my Routers IP address is because "Apparently" i cant setup a Static IP Address as my ISP (AOL) use Dynamic IP Addresses, and also because if i gave my PC's IP address i was only getting Local connections, whereas if i gave my routers IP Address i was getting Remote/Local connections ....... Blame it all on AOL eh!!.... lol...thinking i need to change to an ISP who uses Static IP Addresses ....Anyway Kluelos ..Thanks for your reply to my orginanal message ...and at least now i know that using my IP address for my Router is wrong.....Thanks again ....Martin

Martin, i think you are confusing your public IP address from your private one.

Your ISP gives your router a dynamic public IP address which is fine (you dont need a static public IP)

Then your router gives your PC a private IP address (this is the one you want to make static)

So you should do what kluelos said and visit portforward.com

Follow their directions for your router and make sure that you give your PC a static IP address

If they dont have your router try to find one with similar menus

Thats wierd that you got remote addresses the way you had it set.

Another thing I suggest is that you delete the rules you made in windows firewall

You should let Bitcomet automatically make these rules for you