To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BitComet has downloaded almost twice listed file size

Okay,

As several of you know, I've been attempting to get BitComet working on my system. So I chose a pdf ebook (Handbook of the Navigator) as my 'test' download as it's 1.07MB in size. Well, on my 'trackers' pane in the stats and summaries panel, it's showing 'DHT Network' as having 3 minutes 45 seconds to go - and counting down - and it's showing in the 'summary' pane that I've downloaded 1.66MB and uploaded 1.49MB of the 1.07MB file. So what gives?

Okay, so what you're saying is that it's correct in showing that I've not received any real data for the file, but that I've throughput 1.6MB of other data. I say this because even after 14 hours, the D/L data was 1.68MB and the U/L data amount was 1.49MB with no 'rubbish' dropped and '0.0% completed' showing in the summary. Slow? I hope to tell you. :o

IOW, as long as it's showing the green downarrow icon next to the torrent, I should just let it run? Shouldn't I have received *some* data associated with my test D/L file in 14 hours?

Derek

Frequently asked question... Frequently given answer (just read the FAQ - they're written to be read before asking a question).

I say this because even after 14 hours, the D/L data was 1.68MB and the U/L data amount was 1.49MB with no 'rubbish' dropped and '0.0% completed' showing in the summary. Slow? I hope to tell you. :o

IOW, as long as it's showing the green downarrow icon next to the torrent, I should just let it run? Shouldn't I have received *some* data associated with my test D/L file in 14 hours?

Well, "0.0%" is absent in your first post, so I've assumed this to be FAQ. It comes out to be quite another situation then...

I'd assume that this data was 'technical' - yours and others' clients were connecting to each other and transfering some data ABOUT this torrent, but not OF this torrent. Check if you have any seed at all. Torrent seems to be dead.

Part of the problem is that I selected this torrent specifically because it was a recently listed torrent (within the last 5 days) and it was a small file - only 1.07MB in size. So I'm curious how it could be a 'dead' torrent so quickly. IOW, how does one know? Is there a small file which can routinely be used as a 'reference' torrent to confirm whether one's torrent client is working? I mean, I don't want to go through yet another overnight stretch thinking everything is working fine only to find out I got nothing.

Derek

:unsure:

Well, "0.0%" is absent in your first post, so I've assumed this to be FAQ. It comes out to be quite another situation then...

I'd assume that this data was 'technical' - yours and others' clients were connecting to each other and transfering some data ABOUT this torrent, but not OF this torrent. Check if you have any seed at all. Torrent seems to be dead.

Well, I just don't get it - if you want to test BitComet, why not try and download anything you might need instead of some almost random stuff? (just don't ask ME what you might need %) )

When I look for something, I look at seeds/leechers numbers before I start downloading torrent. The more BOTH are, the better. And size don't matters this much (in your case) since you can take just 1-2 files of large and well-seeded torrent and get only them to test whatever you test.

I'd recommend you drop this dead one and go find something you like. www.isohunt.com is a good place to start from.

Oh! Okay, so looking at the seeds/leechers is a better indication of 'liveliness' (to coin a phrase) of the torrent? D*mn! I've *got* to get BitTorrent for Dummies, so I'll have a better idea of what it's all about! Thank you for the input. I'll do so.

So are www.torrentbox.com or www.mininova.com also good places, as well?

Derek

Well, I just don't get it - if you want to test BitComet, why not try and download anything you might need instead of some almost random stuff? (just don't ask ME what you might need %) )

When I look for something, I look at seeds/leechers numbers before I start downloading torrent. The more BOTH are, the better. And size don't matters this much (in your case) since you can take just 1-2 files of large and well-seeded torrent and get only them to test whatever you test.

I'd recommend you drop this dead one and go find something you like. www.isohunt.com is a good place to start from.

So are www.torrentbox.com or www.mininova.com also good places, as well?

Take anything you like. Try googling for "torrent search" (include quotes), that'll give you enough to choose ;)

Personally, I preferred The Pirate Bay, but they've been raided by police in the on May, 31 and haven't recovered fully yet. Seedler died unnoticed and so I switched to IsoHunt... BoxTorrent, MegaNova... There are plenty of them... Good luck on your explorings :)