To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

No internet connection

I can not visit any webpages on Bitcomet, nor can i download files. My internet works wonderfully through iExplorer (almost the speed of a T1) and my firewall has allowed bitcomet to access the internet freely... I have no idea what could possibly be going wrong, any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

I use ETrust and windows firewall but i shut off etrust and i made windows let bitcomet to access internet at all times... *sadface*

EDIT:

OK i just saw something that will prolly make you laugh and think that im an idiot, but at the bottom right of the app, it says DHT not connected, could that have something to do with it?

First of all, you have to use only one firewall. I don't use Windows Firewall but as long as SP2 appears, it has good opninion, so try to keep Entrust shut down and configure Windows Firewall again. Just for test. Somewhere in faqs there are lots of info about it. Then go here and check ports used by BitComet. You need check listening port, like 56000 (whatever you have chosen), and any of them which are used by browsers like 80 (for HTTP protocol), 443 (for HTTPS protocol) ... i don't remember but I'm absolutely sure it's 80 port.

DHT is very helpful but it is not a must to make BitComet work. I'm not sure but I think DHT looks for new peers for you which are out of the tracker, so you can download and upload from larger number of peers than being sent back from trackers.

Having more than one firewall will only give you added grief, not added protection.

If you installed ETrust on top of Windows firewall, you might not have paid enough attention to other things that you've installed. Many different programs also contain firewalls, and all of these will block a lot of nonstandard connections. You will have to look through all of your running processes, identify them (google) and determine whether they have firewalls -- or indeed, whether you want them running at all.

Only ONE firewall. If you have a router, it probably has a firmware firewall, so use that and find/disable/get rid of all the others. If not, choose only one to use, and find/get rid of the others. You can't uninstall the Windows firewall, but uninstall all the others.

I suggest you dump Windows firewall and use another. They are far better firewalls out there. As for your question... try to look in the firewall's logs. It might say if it blocks traffic for bitcomet, and if so, then there is your problem.

How to do it with Windows Firewall, I'm not so sure.

You will have to look through all of your running processes, identify them (google) and determine whether they have firewalls -- or indeed, whether you want them running at all.

It's ultimately your responsibility, nobody else's, to know what's running on your own computer. "Didn't know" or "didn't understand" are excuses that count for absolutely nothing. Learn. Find out.

You need task manager with its list of running processes. (not programs, processes). You need google to identify what those processes are and what they're doing.

Then you need to decide whether you want that done. Typically, you'll find a LOT of things you didn't know were there, or had forgotten all about, or never use. (And sometimes you will find a firewall you didn't know was there.) (And some other times, you'll find a virus or trojan happily compromising your system, as well.) You'll need to remove/uninstall those things.

When you're turning off or opening your firewall, you're doing it to the one(s) you know about. It's strictly up to you to make sure you know about all of them that are present.

When you disable a firewall you indicate that you don't know what you're doing. This is like taking your front door off the hinges because the lock gave you some trouble. Just dumb. Fix the damn lock. Do NOT connect to the internet without one firewall.

Have one, and only one, firewall. If there's a firmware firewall in your modem/router, then use it and get rid of all of your software firewalls, disabling the XP built-in as well. When I say "get rid of" I mean uninstall them. (You can't, obviously, uninstall the buit-in one.)

If you've done all you know but your port is still blocked, then it's obvious you don't know enough. You're still behind a firewall that's blocking the port, and you need to find it. (Or if you're in my neighborhood, I'll find it for you. $60/hr, two hour minimum. Cash or check only.)