To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Version 1.15 has not worked n consistantly since I started using it over a month ago

This is a letter I have submitted to bitcomet support.

Anyone else have similar issues?

Hi,

Ever since I switched over to 1.15 Ive had consistant problems with bitcomet n its really frustrating.

I hope you can help me with resolving the issues.

1st n fomost, when I changed from the last perfectly working for me version of bitcomet to this horrible version of 1.15

I lost all the downlads I previous had downloading

additionally within the download area I had a few downloads listed as partically downloaded that I had completed downloading well over 5-6 or more months ago, STRANGE!

I had to delete them.

And I have to do so over n over n over, over n over n over again for each n anytime I have to shut off the computer n bitcomet restarts those few old partically downloaded downloads return.

As well as....

I go to a site such as btjunkie n start up a new download which initially shows up on bit comet n starts downloading.

Some get completed before the computer has to be shut off (or crashes on occasions).

Every single time that bitcomet is closed

n I mean every single time.

All my new downloads disapear, be they parically downloaded or just starting out downloading.

I have to each time go to the original torrent sites to retrieve them n this takes a h*** of a long time.

Plus I have to do so, every single time that the computer crashes or simply needs to be shut off or restarted.

This last time that the computer had to be shut off, I lost ALL the torrents as usual n had to re download them, but as well, all the downloading I had down on each n every torrent I lost all the percentage of downloading Ive already down. So each torrent is starting all over again.

That waists alot of the 20GB I have alotted each month.

This has gone on for more then a month now.

I have writen previously n

NO ONE has responded to my previous letters.

This is my final attempt in writing you n having you resolve this issue.

If I do not get help n have these problems with your program resolved I will permenently end using bitcomet n intentionally tell others of what has happened n that bitcomet did not respond to my many letters.

The past 3 years I have really appreciated bitcomet but now your program is totally useless n so frustraighting.

My users name is subversivelemmings.

I am no longer using the original email I had at the time I started using bitcomet. My present email is poeticutopia@gmail.com

I have also redownloaded bitcomet to see if this would resolve the problems, NO SUCH LUCK!

poeticutopia@gmail.com

Please, refrain from posting the same topic on multiple sections of this forum. Posting 6 copies of the same message in different sections will not get you more help than a single one. The moderators of this forum are regularly checking all the new posts on the forum and they will be able to read them no matter where you post. But please, keep in mind that all the members from the staff of this forum are donating their spare time at free will, so you can't possibly expect anybody to respond in a fixed amount of time. Besides you seem to have posted in almost every section of this forum except for the right one, this one. I've deleted all your other identical topics, except for this one which I've moved in the right section.

I have writen previously n

NO ONE has responded to my previous letters.

I've searched this forum for other posts of yours and except for the 6 identical posts of today I didn't find anything. Under what name have you posted previously? Can you provide us with a link to that post?

If I do not get help n have these problems with your program resolved I will permenently end using bitcomet n intentionally tell others of what has happened n that bitcomet did not respond to my many letters.

Ok, let's not get so dramatic, shall we? You sound like a 5 year old which threatens to pick up his toys and go home.

Let us not forget that BitComet is developed and supported by a team of people who don't get payed for the work they do, so let's give them a little credit. When will you provide something like that for the world-wide Internet community, for a change? Even full paid software applications happen to have bugs and glitches despite the fact that usually they have the money and logistics necessary to ensure a more thorough beta testing. So, for problems with freeware applications, a good attitude is to try and search the net for similar problems with yours, you might be surprised what solutions you can find.

But that's enough small talk.

Let's get down at your problem and try to determine if this is really BitComet's fault or not.

First of all, you've written quite a long "letter" but you didn't bother to provide the minimum information needed in order to troubleshoot your problem, as required in many places on this forum, which you claim to have visited since long.

But never mind, I'll just try and use my magical vision powers and see what I can come up with. Here I go..... hum... it seems to me like you might have the marvelous Operating System called Vista. Or maybe even Windows 7? There is something unclear there... something blocks my vision. I can't tell for sure.

Anyway, I strongly recommend you to read this before proceeding further, in order to acquire, at least, a vague understanding as to why is this happening to you. Besides, the second solution offered there, might be of use for you to learn how to recover lost torrents without having to go to the original site and especially without having to download the torrent files all over again, from the beginning (this feature is like, since forever already implemented in BitComet, just like in any serious BitTorrent client; so this says a lot about your level of knowledge on the matter). But you should try and recover your torrents, only after solving the first issue, which is the inability of BitComet to save the current tasklist.

Your problem is identical with this user's problem (which you could have reviewed should you have taken the little time necessary to look around a bit), but for convenience I will just paste here the most significant parts of the discussion from there.

I have to each time go to the original torrent sites to retrieve them n this takes a h*** of a long time.

Plus I have to do so, every single time that the computer crashes or simply needs to be shut off or restarted.

If you've read the wiki page under the first link I've given, you might know by now that BitComet saves its tasks list in a file called downloads.xml stored in the program folder. Obviously BitComet, for some external reason, can't write in the downloads.xml file. If it can't write it means that neither the newly added tasks nor the ones deleted, which are both changes to the said file, won't be saved. So the next time you load BitComet you'll find the old tasklist in place. So you'll need to check what is impeding BitComet from writing to that file.

This file resides normally in the Program Files\BitComet directory. But Vista gets smart and doesn't let your applications perform write operations in the Program Files directory; instead it transparently redirects them to some virtual copy of that folder residing somewhere else under Your User profile folder or under All Users profile foler (thanks be given to Microsoft for repairing mistakes of the past by screwing up things the traditional way). So theoretically, Vista doesn't allow applications, by default, to write to Program Files but instead redirects their writing and, hopefully, reading operations to that Virtual Store folder. But if you have a copy of a config file (i.e. downloads.xml) in both locations it will, theoretically, always load the one in the virtual store first. You see now, that besides not being able to update the tasks file another reason for your problem could be that the OS supplies the wrong file to BitComet?

So, welcome to the Vista, Program Files folder troubleshooting nightmare.

First check that the file is not read-only. After that do this:

• check that your account has writing permission on the BitComet folder, under the Security tab (I'm assuming that you are running an administrator account, aren't you?). Here's the tricky part: normally Vista presents first the file from the virtual store (if there is one) to an application trying to read from the file. You really need to determine in which of these two folders %systemroot%\Program Folder\BitComet or %systemroot%\Users\%userprofile%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BitComet does the old file (the one with the tasks from before upgrade) reside (To that end you can open it in any browser and look for the task names inside; if you find any of the old ones you'll know it's the old one). After that you'll know what you deal with. So if the old file is in the virtual store just try and give it full permissions for the current or Everybody account. If it's in the real Program Folder you can try either of these: a)give it full permissions (and the whole BitComet folder), under the current account (or Everybody if you wish) and delete the other copy from the virtual store or b ) move it from the real folder to the virtual store and make sure it has full permissions under the current (or Everybody) account;
  • if that doesn't fix it then right-click on the BitComet icon on your desktop and check the Run as Administrator check-box. Try running it now and check for problems;
  • if it still doesn't work, turn off User Account Control, or alternatively
  • reinstall BitComet to a different folder outside the Program Files folder, preferably on another partition than the root drive. Then before running it, copy the downloads.xml file (the one with the tasks from before upgrade not the old one) to the new program folder.

If you do understand the explications and instructions provided above, put them in practice, and still, can't get it working here's what I want you to do:

Go to the Program Folder\Bitcomet directory on the system drive and copy the downloads.xml file to another folder on your machine, say, C:\Temp or whatever. Rename this file to downloads.PF. Then go to %systemroot%\Users\%userprofile%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BitComet and copy the downloads.xml file to the same folder as the previous one but rename it to downloads.VS. Check for a similar folder under the All Users profile folder and if there is a BitComet folder too, copy the downloads.xml file from there, too. Rename this one to downloads.AU (Note: you might need to make the hidden and/or system files visible in order to access one or both of these folders. %systemroot% stands for the root of the drive which holds the Windows directory, in case you are not sure.)

After that, select both newly renamed files and archive them with any general archiver of your choice (to .rar, .zip), and email them to me. Be sure to mention in the email, one or two of the names of the torrents which were previously deleted (a few months earlier) but still keep reappearing on your task list. Make sure they are of deleted ones which shouldn't be (and weren't) on your current list (i.e. not among the ones from immediately before the upgrade).

Version 1.15 has not worked n consistantly since I started using it over a month ago

Considering that it was released on Sept, 25th... I'd say more like 3 weeks ago.

I have writen previously n NO ONE has responded to my previous letters.

As you were previously asked, WHERE did you write your previous letters? Here? At ToComet? To whom were they addressed? To an Administrator? To the Developers (they only speak Chinese)?

My, my, aren't you the demanding type? Here you are, using a completely free program, which offeres free support, you offer no information whatsoever about your own particular setup (interpret as " don't follow the Rules"), and we are to resolve your issue, because of your "ultimatum"?? <_< I hate to disillusion you but you are one of over 50 thousand forum members who use BitComet and who show a greater degree of courtesy and respect for the altruistic work that others perform, on a daily basis.

Are you making a threat? Be forewarned, subversivelemmings, that sword has a double edge.