To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Optimising download for preview

sharayde

Hi,

When a movie does not have a sample I use this feature to download the start of the movie to see if it is worth getting the whole thing, especially if the movie is several GB.

The issue is that using this only downloads a very small part and often it only shows the opening credits and none of the film.

Is the amount downloaded a fixed size and now that movies are much bigger maybe the size could be increased. Perhaps set it to 5% of the total file size?

Thanks

Interesting thought, I'm not sure if it stops the strategy after x amount of bytes are downloaded from the beginning, or if it will continue so the preview time increases as the download progresses. I'll see if I can run this by development

It doesn't continue to increase the preview time. One recent download didn't give me one of the pieces just after the preview part until the download was at 99.5%. Yes, I was thorough (or maybe sad) enough to watch this as it was downloading to check :-)

Usually you can open the file in any good media player and skip ahead long before you get to 95%, you may get glitches and artifacts with an incomplete download but you can usually tell if the video is what it claims and judge the quality, but I agree that a large file should download the same mins of play that a small one does and this may be an important request.

I'll recommend it and see if development agrees

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to development and they confirmed that preview option is enabled when the min size of the preview is reached in mb, not in a percentage of the total file. The first and last piece must be downloaded first, then when a minimal amount of the file is complete the preview will be available. We understand that on larger files and HD video this minimal preview may only include the opening credits, however the preview size will increase as the download progresses so there is no need to make any changes. If you want a longer preview make sure the task option for "optimize download strategy for preview" is enabled and you will have a longer amount to preview as the download progresses.

However, when using the "optimize download strategy for preview" bitcomet will attempt to download the pieces in order of playback instead of downloading what is currently available and this is a less efficient method for download.