To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

64-bit BitComet 1.40 unnecessary disk activity (read) on Windows 10

Hello!

I'm running 64-bit BitComet 1.40 (installed from the HTTP download on bitcomet.com). On Windows 10, I've noticed that BitComet lags after it's been running for a while: it takes a long time (up to 10 seconds) to respond to the mouse. Sometimes, the BitComet icon will disappear from the taskbar, but the process will still be running because nothing happens when I try to open BitComet until I end the process using the Task Manager.

I decided to check the Task Manager when BitComet was lagging, and it showed anywhere between 30MB/s to 55MB/s of disk activity from BitComet:

post-184454-0-84693500-1463767426.jpg

As you can see in the above image, my download and upload rates totaled less than 1MB/s at the time, so I'm not sure what all of the extra disk activity is for.

I opened the Resource Monitor in an attempt to figure out what BitComet was doing, and it would seem that BitComet is reading an unnecessary amount of data from my hard drive:

post-184454-0-60804600-1463768314.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is a bug because it happens almost every time on Windows 10, but I've never had it happen on Windows 7. Maybe I'm stupid and it's just a problem with my configuration, but I haven't changed any of the BitComet options (other than changing the listen port for port forwarding), so I don't think that's the case.

Go to Tools > Options > Disk Cache and change the default settings to these ones:

Min disc cache 50

Max disc cache 1024

Shrink disc cache if free mem lower than 500

Cache size for HTTP 2048

These options will store cached data on RAM and prevent disk overload.

• Like 1

the recommended settings will vary depending on how much ram memory you have installed. The default is to assume you have a minimal amount of ram so disc cache size is very small. By increasing you prevent excessive use of harddrive, but will use more ram memory.

• Like 2

the recommended settings will vary depending on how much ram memory you have installed. The default is to assume you have a minimal amount of ram so disc cache size is very small. By increasing you prevent excessive use of harddrive, but will use more ram memory.

I assumed his laptop has a lot of memory since he is running Phhotoshop, BitComet + Windows's servicies and only 28% of RAM are being used.