To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Need Port Fowarding/ UPnP/ getting remote peers Help

colelau

I'm currently having two computers sharing one router thru wireless connection. It's a linksys wrt54gs router and wmp54gs adaptor. at this stage, i turned off all firewall on computer and router. Here are my questions:

1, If i have UPnP enabled on my router, Network Services checked in XP, also on in Bitcomet, do I have to disable all of them when i wante to do port forwarding manually. And how do i know UPnP is working???

2, how do i know if the ip address in cmd>ipconfig/all is static or dynamic?(i restarted my comptuer a few times yesterday, it was the same ip, but today, the last digit changed, is that an IP assgined by my ISP or by my router?? )

3, when I try the open port check, it gives me an IP 59xxxx, but in my msdos, it is 192xxxx. i believe 192xxx is

the static IP that i need for port forwarding, am i correct??

4, how do i know if i m using a proxy server???

5, do i have to configure both computers, although i just need one of them to reach better speed for BT??

I followed all the steps carefully in port forwarding guide in FAQ link, but it says listen port is not open. i tried 50000 and 60548. I also see azureus.com forums, it says try 6881-6999. I basically can use randomly anything btw 50000-60548, right??

If I can do the above questions correctly, i should have no probelms(not speed related), in getting both local and remote peers, even if my 2 computers are downloading at the same time right???

1: UPnP is something Windows uses to automatically open and close ports as their being used. leave it on.

2: the ip 192.###.### is assigned by your router. i believe if you enable static nat in your router it will stay the same.

3: the ip 192.###.### is the ip you need to port forward to.

4: you arent using a proxy server unless you set it up to use one. "from the way you asked it, you are not using one."

5: If you are just going to use bt on one pc just set up that pc. i wouldnt suggest tring to run bt on 2 pc's it is a big headache.

go here to set up your specific router.

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers...GS/BitComet.htm

if anyone see's anything wrong in this reply please feel free to correct me

I have one linksys wrt54gs router shared by 2 desktops and 1 laptop.

IF i need port forward on one desktop for bt reason, do i have to set the static ip for the other 2 computers? i will use all 3 computers for bitcomet eventually, but at this stage i can't even have one computer being port open,(i read that it is better to set both start and end port range the same, i tried 50000 and 60548)

I followed the instruction carefully. Static IP not in the range of DHCP. no hardware or software firewall. UPnP disabled. I called up ISP, they said they don't block my external IP.

What else can go wrong??

First, turn your router's firewall back on. I'll wait while you go do that.

Ok, now you need to check thoroughly for vermin you may have let in when you disabled the firewall. That's an anti-virus check, AdAware, and Spybot S&D. It'll take you a while to do that, but no problem, I'll wait here while you do that.

Back now? Good. Now write down this very firm rule, "I will not connect to the internet without a firewall", 500 times.

(Lousy penmanship, there.) Anyway, let's talk about port-forwarding. Why do that? The reason is, to get one port through a firewall. So if you don't have a firewall, (because you turned the flippin' thing off because you didn't know any better), you don't have anything that needs a port forwarded through. Got that? A forwarded port is sorta like a pet door to let Rover in. When you turned off the firewall, you took the front door off the hinges. NOT a good way to resolve the issue.

Your firewall protects you from ghastlies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties. Every open port on it is a gate they can come through. You need something there on that opened port to staunchly handle expected traffic through it, and repel all others. That would be, for example, your trusty Bittorrent client. It's listening on one port. Those others you opened? Holes for the beasties to invade through. So whoever gave you that advice, don't listen to them anymore.

Now, your router. A router, when hooked to your modem, becomes your face to the outer world. Your ISP, and the whole internet, sees the router. THey see nothing else. They don't know what's on the other side of that router. They don't care what's on the other side of it. They only talk to the router. What happens behind the router is your problem and they dont' know and won't help you with it.

What you do on your side of the router, your subnet, is entirely your affair. You want to set up a static IP in your subnet? Fine. You want some static and some dynamic? Fine. You want them all static? Fine. You want to bridge over to token-ring and connect to forty IBM mainframes and a Vax? Fine. Your subnet, your rules, and also your problem. Set it up any way you want. Change it every other Thursday.

You can set all three computers up as static IP's within your subnet, and leave a couple of dynamic addresses available for DHCP in case a friend wants to temporarily hook up his laptop to your router.

Just don't let any two devices ever have the same internal IP address. That way lies madness.

You want to open your bittorrent listen port on the router. Just one port, please. Use the IP of your current Bittorrent machine. All should be well. If you later want to use bittorrent on another computer too, just add another rule pointing to the IP addresses of the other. You can even use the same port number, the router will keep it straight. That's it's job.

Now since you're doing your port-forwarding manually, you don't want UPnP at all. It has nothing to do, and doesn't work all that well with most routers anyway. So just disable it in your client.

I just found out that my speedtocuh 530 modem can work as a router, and i saw in other fourms that using a router behind another router(my linksys router) would mess the port forwarding thing. And I'm stuck from here.

1) when i set the port forward range, should i configure my linksys or speedtouch???

2) when i log on to linksys status page, I was given an IP 10.x.x.x, but when i go to setup page

it shows local IP x.x.1.1(which stands for my modem/router/or desktop???)

3) on the same setup page, the starting IP is x.x.x.100, how come the last digit group says starting from 100,

but the last digit group of local IP is just 1?????