To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Immigrating from bitcomet and bittorent to utorrent 1.8.3

xerxesgunes

I began to leech with Bitcomet 1.13 but as it comsumes all the ports I continued with utorrent 1.8.3 but my son in my absence installed bittorrent, legend edition as he tells 4.4.1, now I want to continue with utorrent 1.8.3.

As I downloded some movies with bitcomet and bittorent I want to seed those files How should I cumulate all torrents under utorrent 1.8.3 ? Because Bittorrent 4.4.1 does not recognize some torrents build with utorrent 1.8.3 or with bitcomet 1.13

Can someone help me pls ?

Edited by xerxesgunes (see edit history)

I began to leech with Bitcomet 1.13 but as it comsumes all the ports ...

I'm sorry, but whatever you're trying to say is getting lost. BitComet certainly does not "consume all the ports", it uses one port for listening, just like µtorrent, and lacks the ability to use more than one for this. The original MainLine Bittorent client could use multiple ports, but that was precautionary and never necessary in practice. No current client that I'm aware of uses more than one listen port.

It seems you have some sort of configuration problem, and whatever that problem is, you can equally well have it with µtorrent or any other client. We can't tell what the problem is from what you've said. Your best option is to try not to jump to any conclusions about causes, but to describe what is happening to you as simply as you can. Is your system slowing down? Are you unable to use other internet applications such as your web browser?

However, if your issue is with µtorrent and you want to use that, I suggest you try to get some assistance from µtorrent. I realize that help from them is hard to come by, and I can't them to address my µtorrent problems either. That's still the place to go for help with their client.

We'll be happy to help you get your BitComet running properly, but this is BitComet's support forum -- we don't support other clients here.

Thank you very much and enlightening me about not to jump to the conclusion.

As I told I use Bitcomet 1.1.13 I configured a port and green WAN is appering event I restart ny modem who changes IP. Because I change everytime the port with the new IP (It's a Cisco Linksys WAG54GP2 router modem and the IPs begin from 192.168.1.64)

But When I use Bitcomet and open a http page or outlook or another operation such as starting MSN I got some problems of connection and connection slows down dramatically.

But with Bittorent 4.4.1 or utorrent 1.8.3 the same connections are not affected it goes very well.

In fact except this I was very glad using bitcomet which ise very complete for such P2P connections.

If there is a way for adjusting this I'll be happy to use Bitcomet as I was using before.

The configuration:

I have the router modem WAG54GP2 Linksys, a memory 2GB kingston 800DDR2 SDRAM, Gigabyte mainboard, AMD Athlon 64 X2 2600 FSB (no Overclock)

I have configured a port in windows firewall for TCP and UDP and in the router modem too. My bandwidth, because of the distance form the source, is 1MBS/256kbs

If there will be an advise for keeping speed of my connection for other connections (such as WEB, outlook) while I was uploading/downloading files, in the same speed of bittorrent or utorrent, I'll keep to use Bitcomet cause I like it.

PS:In my 1st post I did not ask any help for utorrent or bittorrent I asked if there is a compatibility between those torrents.

Edited by xerxesgunes (see edit history)

T I restart ny modem who changes IP.

This is entirely normal and commonplace, but is not a matter of concern. What is changing is the external, WAN IP address.

Because I change everytime the port with the new IP (It's a Cisco Linksys WAG54GP2 router modem and the IPs begin from 192.168.1.64)

This part does NOT follow from the first.

You are now dealing with the LAN site of the router, not the WAN side. Here, you can and definitely should establish a static IP address for your computer. You should set the IP and the port number, and never need to change them again. This point is what all the information and advice about setting a static IP concerns.

But When I use Bitcomet and open a http page or outlook or another operation such as starting MSN I got some problems of connection and connection slows down dramatically.

This issue is not unique to BitComet, and is usually a result of not configuring the client properly. Your upstream bandwidth is probably much smaller than downstream -- this is the case with most broadband connections.

You will need to test your connection to learn your actual upstream bandwidth, and then limit your client's global maximum upload rate to 80% of what you measured. (It's important to be careful about using the same units of measurement throughout.) BitComet's upload rate defaults to "unlimited", which means that it will grab all of the bandwidth it can grab. This can actually cause BC to interfere with itself, to slow itself down. The upload rate needs to be set correctly for any/all bittorrent clients -- not too high, but not too low either. If the rate is too low for your connection, then you will experience a slower download rate than you could otherwise get. Since everybody's connection is different, the best way to do this is by hand, individually.

Our settings guide details how to do all this.

I have configured a port in windows firewall for TCP and UDP and in the router modem too.

If you enable ICF in your BitComet preferences, it will automatically open and close the Windows built-in firewall port for you.

My bandwidth, because of the distance form the source, is 1MBS/256kbs

Your quoted bandwidth rate is an example of mixing units. Your downstream rate is probably not 1 MB/S, but rather 1 Mb/s.

1 B, or byte = 8 b, or bits.

1 Mb/s would equal 0.125 MB/s. BitComet measures everything in KiloBytes, not Kilobits. Most ISP's quote their speeds in bits, not Bytes, because this makes the numbers sound bigger. You can do it all either way, as long as you are consistent about it throughout.

PS:In my 1st post I did not ask any help for utorrent or bittorrent I asked if there is a compatibility between those torrents.

Bittorrent 4.4.1 and µtorrent are essentially the same client. Bittorrent bought out µtorrent, and retired their own client (which was called "Mainline") in favor of republishing µtorrent as their own.

All torrents and all clients are supposed to be compatible with one another. Any client that attempts to make a torrent proprietary to that client alone, should be shunned. But this forum can't help you with any compatibility issues you have between Bittorrent and µtorrent. We don't know. We don't support them. We just support BitComet.

Thank you for all knowledge.

It was only a mistake MB and Mb. My upload is 20KB/S while my download is unlimited (1Mb/s->~125KB/s)

If you enable ICF in your BitComet preferences, it will automatically open and close the Windows built-in firewall port for you.

Thank for this advise. It's already checked but however I did not pay attention till I read your post what it's doing exactly this checking. Thanks again.

And finally my upload and download was always in the proportions that you said. 20KB/S upload and unlimited download(however it makes 125 KB/S)

And my other connections(web,outlook, MSN connection) are still slow then bittorent or utorrent.

I think this will be recovered in next versions.

In resume:

As I downloaded many files with bitcomet I continue seeding as In can't transfer them.

Because I believe sharing is the base of this systeme