To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

torrent open failed

crumlinite

when i put a torrent in bitcomet it has a red x next to the torrent name which when highlighted reads STOPED[torrent open failed] hitting start doesnt work and the torrent proggress stays at zero the down and up rate stay blank the time elapsed stays at zero too i know the torrent works too because 2 of my friends downloaded it i originally thought it was because my listen port was blocked but i forwarded my port and it still wont work

bitcomet shows i have two trackers DHT Network and http://inferno.demonoid.com:3389/announce but all fields next to them are blank i've tried several torrents and it wont open any

i have an Actiontec MI424-WR router I used to download torrents useing limewire but that stopped working too which is why i swiched to bitcomet seeing as how bitcomet isnt working either i think its a problem with my computer i dont know what other information to give but if anyone needs more let me know and thanks in advance

The information's adequate, but some punctuation, a little capitalization and the odd line-break would sure be nice see it's quite difficult to read a message without them you aren't quite sure where one sentence ends and the next begins and considering that the person who wrote it is asking for your help in the first place you feel a little reluctant to give it you know paragraphs do a good job of separating one thought from the next you might not have listened when you were being taught that but it does mean that you should rate your own written communication skills toward the bottom of the heap but to your problem the red X has various meanings depending on the version you're using but the most common meaning is that BitComet cannot write to the disk this can be for all of the many reasons that a program can't write to a disk such as trying to write to a directory where it does not have permission to write an invalid pathname an invalid character in the pathname we see that a lot with charsets that UTF-8 doesn't support a disk that is full or just a bad disk to name a few anything that would prevent the program from writing to the disk will generate the error in later versions it can also mean that BC cannot read from the disk or that something went wrong in the process you can try mousing over the red X to see if it tells you specifically what's wrong a torrent is basically a text file in a defined format everything in it is human-readable if very boring it consists mostly of base-16 numbers you can read it in notepad if there's something clearly wrong this ought to be very obvious especially if you compare it with a known good torrent sometimes you will even see errors that the index site software generated instead of a proper torrent if you see something like that and it looks like a temporary issue you can try downloading the torrent again if it looks like the file is a good copy but is corrupt then you will need to find another torrent with the same material possibly from another tracker and download that.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
On 9/10/2009 at 6:40 PM, kluelos said:

The information's adequate, but some punctuation, a little capitalization and the odd line-break would sure be nice see it's quite difficult to read a message without them you aren't quite sure where one sentence ends and the next begins and considering that the person who wrote it is asking for your help in the first place you feel a little reluctant to give it you know paragraphs do a good job of separating one thought from the next you might not have listened when you were being taught that but it does mean that you should rate your own written communication skills toward the bottom of the heap but to your problem the red X has various meanings depending on the version you're using but the most common meaning is that BitComet cannot write to the disk this can be for all of the many reasons that a program can't write to a disk such as trying to write to a directory where it does not have permission to write an invalid pathname an invalid character in the pathname we see that a lot with charsets that UTF-8 doesn't support a disk that is full or just a bad disk to name a few anything that would prevent the program from writing to the disk will generate the error in later versions it can also mean that BC cannot read from the disk or that something went wrong in the process you can try mousing over the red X to see if it tells you specifically what's wrong a torrent is basically a text file in a defined format everything in it is human-readable if very boring it consists mostly of base-16 numbers you can read it in notepad if there's something clearly wrong this ought to be very obvious especially if you compare it with a known good torrent sometimes you will even see errors that the index site software generated instead of a proper torrent if you see something like that and it looks like a temporary issue you can try downloading the torrent again if it looks like the file is a good copy but is corrupt then you will need to find another torrent with the same material possibly from another tracker and download that.

thanks im having the same problem ill try your solutions....update..5 mins later

..thanks changing the directory solved my problem.

Edited by jrinindy (see edit history)