To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Torrent download issue

Rather than my download working as normal when I click a torrent from the website (XTVi/EZTV) the torrent tries to save itself onto my desktop which subesequently fails to make any progress. Firstly Windows tries to verify the file type then very quickly afterwards the message "windows cannot find the file type" is displayed. Until recently all torrent downloads were working fine then all of a sudden this happened.

System in use is:

Advent

AMD Phenom 9550 Quad core processor 2.2GHz

4GB Ram

Vista Home Premium

Software being used is BitComet 1.12.

if anyone could help I would be most grateful. I've taken a screen shot of the problem but can't upload any files onto this post! Shed some light on putting the image up it may help. Won't accept the image on a Word or PP format!

This is a web-browser issue, not a BitComet issue.

When you download a file, your web browser decides what to do with it according to your instructions. If it's doing something you don't want it to, then you or someone gave it the wrong instructions.

The browser processes files according to their type. File type is determined, rightly or wrongly, from the portion of the filename that follows the last dot in the name.

• A file named "myfile.txt" is therefore of type "txt".
  • A file named "myfile.doc" is therefore of type "doc".
  • A file named "myfile.document" is of type "document", which is NOT the same as "doc".
    A file named "this.huge.filename.about.a.movie.including.what.year.it.was.released.torrent" is therefore of type "torrent"

Someone has changed how your browser handles files of type "torrent". You should look in the browser options/preferences, find the part that deals with handling files, and look at what it says. You may want to just delete the "torrent" filehandling rule so that the browser asks you every time (which is the default), or change it to whatever you want.

Please make sure that you post in the right section of the forum. The BugReports section is only for reporting bugs related to BitComet, not for asking help.

Your explication of the problem is very ambiguous.

...the torrent tries to save itself onto my desktop which subesequently fails to make any progress.

Are you talking about the .torrent file download in the browser or about the torrent task's content files?

Firstly Windows tries to verify the file type then very quickly afterwards the message "windows cannot find the file type" is displayed.

Again, when does this verification occur and what exactly happens during that?

I've taken a screen shot of the problem but can't upload any files onto this post! Shed some light on putting the image up it may help.

You can post images on forum by using the Attachments section at the bottom of the page (browse to the file then hit the Attach This File button; after that click in text where you want your image to appear and hit the Add to Post button). Make sure you upload a reduced-size(kB) image as it will load faster.

If you would have looked around on the forum, a little, you had found in the Guides section, a guide about how to post images on the forum.

Won't accept the image on a Word or PP format!

I'm not sure I even understand what you mean by that. Word and Power Point, are document and slideshow presentation file formats and not image formats. If you post an image on the forum it should be in JPEG or another high compression format.