To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BitComet Won't Download Big Files

Ckaz

V.1.15, Vista x64, Wireless Router (D-link DIR-655), Shaw High Speed Extreme Internet, Norton 360 Premier Edition (that firewall, Peerguardian2 firewall, router firewall)

Basically, I can download most torrents, but this one is 5.52GB, and it gets to a certain point before loosing its connection and stopping. My wireless network card won't even work until I restart. The rest of my wireless internet doesn't shut down, just my computer's. Its a powerful router, and powerful internet, so what could be the problem?

yes I took a look and I noticed that most of the suggestions in there I had tried.

My network card is up-to-date on the drivers, and unfortunately I am not able to hook it up to an LAN connection. My router is in the basement, and my pc is on the second floor :(

Has there been any other experiences where people can't download big files? If it makes a diff, I also have my max global upload settings to 50. I have forwarded the ports properly.

That's one disadvantage of using wireless -- it's a bear to troubleshoot. You'll simply have to temporarily move your computer and monitor down to the basement or wherever the router is, (or get a really, really long cable) in order to connect directly. I'm very familiar with how much of a PITA this is, but there's no alternative.

However, this does not appear to be a network issue. Have you looked at your system and application error logs, to see if they are reporting a problem? Have you tried downloading part of the torrent, moving that part elsewhere, downloading the rest and manually reassembling it if needed?

BitComet won't generally have an intrinsic problem with any filesize. These sorts of problems usually have an external cause such as an OS limit or a defective disk drive, even a bad spot on the disk that was never used before. Do you have any reason to think that BC is the actual cause? Have you tried this with a previous version of BC, or with another client?

The thumb rule for the upload speed is to set it to 80% of your tested upload speed. But even with your upload speed set to unlimited, it shouldn't freeze, it just should get very slow speeds in BC and in the other applications using the Internet connection, as well.

If you don't feel like taking your PC for a trip in the basement then the only other solution I can think of would be to disable your wireless card and to try with an USB external wireless adaptor.

You have to eliminate any doubts about this one way or another. Otherwise you'll just keep guessing; if the problem resides in another place you might just get lucky in the end but if it resides in the wireless NIC you'll just waste a lot of time. You have got to proceed by elimination. And you always check the hardware before the software.