To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Autoshutdown computer when tasks are finished

rado84

Hi. I'd like to suggest a feature for BC which would be very useful to me and I'm sure it would be useful to many people. So, this is what I'm talking about:

Place an option in the Preferences menu when all started tasks are complete (downloading is on 100%), the program stops them all (of course, after the check it usually does), then shutsdown itself and if it's possible - the computer too.

Currently, I'm doing this by using Atomic Alarm Clock but from my experience so far I found that forcibly shutting down BitComet isn't healthy for it neither for the files I've been downloading.

The auto-shutdown feature is much older than that, and has been present in every version I can recall. It's present in version 0.70. An orderly shutdown command from any source ought not to cause any problems with BitComet, though. What sorts of things have you been encountering?

Indeed, it seems it was present even in version v.0.58 :D

In v.1.04 it was only redesigned; my eyes failed me when reading the release notes. So, even more now, the request is pointless.

Maybe the external app literally kills the process without giving it the time to report to the trackers and save all it's .xml files properly.

Indeed, it seems it was present even in version v.0.58 :D

In v.1.04 it was only redesigned; my eyes failed me when reading the release notes. So, even more now, the request is pointless.

Maybe the external app literally kills the process without giving it the time to report to the trackers and save all it's .xml files properly.

I apologise, then. :) I thought this setting would be under Preferences and I've never checked out what's under Tools.

The auto-shutdown feature is much older than that, and has been present in every version I can recall. It's present in version 0.70. An orderly shutdown command from any source ought not to cause any problems with BitComet, though. What sorts of things have you been encountering?

When there are tasks in progress (seeding or downloading) and I set the Atomic Alarm Clock to shut the PC down then when I run BC again a few errors appear but the most frequently met error is one which says "Syntax error on line 1. Do you want to Debug?". I'm studying C++ but I still have no idea what this error means, though. And the worst is that even using Total Uninstall 4.62 doesn't help at all when reinstalling BitComet - the error remains and only full reinstall of Windows works on that error.

Edited by rado84 (see edit history)

As I mentioned when this was previously discussed, this error is not coming from BitComet. It is coming from a script of some sort that is being run at that time. Since BitComet is not causing the error, nothing that you do regarding BitComet is going to fix it. The problem lies with whatever application is attempting to start BitComet.