To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Help - can no longer open Bitcomet

kestrel

I have been using Bitcomet for years, and am updated to the latest version, 1.15. I have cable internet through Comcast, and am using a Comcast Linksys router. My ports are forwarded correctly, and have never been a problem. I am using Windows XP SP3, and using Avira antivirus and Malwarebytes. None of these things have recently changed.

Today, I tried to open a new torrent file and got a strange "Windows cannot find (file) please make sure you typed the name correctly..." message. I tried opening some other torrents including old ones that had previously worked, and received the same message. I tried manually opening Bitcomet from the start menu and saw it open quickly for less than a second and disappear. I uninstalled it, re-downloaded and reinstalled it, and have the same problem. It opens briefly and crashes before I can even get a good look at it. The last time I successfully used it was a few weeks ago, and everything was fine.

I *have* installed (and uninstalled) some new things on my pc lately... but don't know how they would cause a problem. Codecs, video editing/converting software, etc...all of which I scanned for malware before using. Any advice would really be appreciated. Thank you~

Thanks for the quick response - I checked the event viewer but could not find anything that seems to be related to Bitcomet. The last application error was on the 24th, and the last system error was unrelated. I tried opening Bitcomet a few more times, and no new errors or warnings showed up.

Try downgrading to a previously-working version of BC. Just install the older version right over the new version, and try it again. If the old version does the same thing, but worked before, this suggests the cause isn't BitComet itself, and you need to look at the system.

I tried downgrading to a previous version, and have the same problem. I'm not sure what to try to fix the problem next...is it possible I have disabled something that it needs to run? I looked through everything in services.msc and I don't think I have. I've also cleaned the registry recently - probably more than once since I last ran Bitcomet. Since I installed, tried and uninstalled a lot of programs, I had to, as a lot of junk was left behind. I mainly used CCleaner - would restoring it from backup possibly help? I can't think of any other ideas to try.

One other thing - at around the last time I used Bitcomet, I installed another torrent client. I wanted a torrent from a site that doesn't allow Bitcomet users, so I installed Vuze. I uninstalled Vuze later - is it possible that could have caused a problem with Bitcomet?

Right now, you're in the big jungle of Windows, so... virtually anything you can thing of is worth a try. Try restoring the backup from CCleaner. If that does it, then you're in luck.

If you have a Windows snapshot from before this problem, you could try restoring it. You might have to reinstall some applications which were installed after that snapshot but it might solve it.

I tried the 3 most recent reg backups from this month and still have the problem...however, something finally popped up in the event viewer that may be related. I got the warning "tcp ip has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent tcp connect attempts" just after opening Bitcomet. I know this limit can affect speed, but can it also cause a crash? It doesn't really make sense to me, but I'm going to try to patch it. It used to be patched but after SP3 I think it stopped working.

Installing or removing Vuze would not cause a problem. I regularly install and remove other clients, and this has never caused me any issues at all.

The tcp "error" is commonplace, and does not cause any problems. The patch itself frequently does. This is best left alone. The limit is there to prevent your system being used for DDOS attacks by a particular virus, which performs an attack called a "SYN flood". No legitimate application needs to launch so many new connections per second, nor has anyone ever measured a speed advantage to a patched system. OTOH there have been systems messed up by screwing around with system files like this.

Your issue seems to be elsewhere. Your symptoms look to me like a security program of some sort that has not been told BC is allowed to run, and so kills the process as soon as it starts. If you have any new security software you might see if it has or can keep a log of what it's doing, and look there for clues. You might want to also review your currently running processes to see what might be doing this.