To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 shuts down Bitcomet v1.15?

boybato

greetings!

i've been using the Bitcomet for years and i love it. i never had any real problems with it until recently.

i opened bitcomet and i noticed that it almost immediately shuts down. i couldn't figure out the reason why?

i never had this problem before (i mean i use Bitcomet with KIS2010 all the time). i tried pausing the KIS2010

protection then opening Bitcomet - it got through! i turned back on KIS2010 protection and Bitcomet got shut down again.

i figured it must be KIS doing it. i tried adding Bitcomet to the "Threats and Exclusions" list but nothing

happened - Bitcomet still gets shut down. i love using both of them but it seems that now, i have to give up one in order

to use the other. Please, if you guys have any solutions, suggestions, or work around this, so that i can use

BOTH at the same time('cause i don't want to pause my protection when i'm online [i had bad experience with malwares])

i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks in advance :)

p.s. i think i i might have posted this in the wrong place. i must have misread something.

i'm new here. i'm really sorry. :(

Edited by boybato (see edit history)

This seems to be an old issue of KAH which hasn't got a straight answer from the Kaspersky team yet, apparently. There are many threads on the Internet regarding problems with various P2P clients and KAH. See for yourself a few:

http://forum.kaspersky.com/lofiversion/index.php/t10183.html

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=3279#

http://forum.kaspersky.com/lofiversion/index.php/t15769.html.

Some guy, as you see in one of the threads, claims that he solved a fairly similar problem and gives there some instructions. Unfortunately I don't use Kaspersky at all so I can't vouch for the viability of the solution.

thanks for the reply.. :) i think i got a slight workaround this.. though unfortunately it's not full proof.. i just pause KIS2010, run Bitcomet and resume KIS's protection..

i think everything's gonna be ok as long as i don't touch/click anything in Bitcomet except "start/dl and stop/dl", i can still download torrents - cause if i do, KIS automatically detects it and

immediately shuts Bitcomet down without any warning.. once in a while KIS does an automatic rootkit scan and screws up everything and i have to do the same process again.

so far, it's doin ok.. hopefully this can help others who have the same problem. :( p.s. this is only good if your downloading smaller files i think. files about 500mb starts

the automatic rootkit scan again and everything's busted! :( maybe i should look for another solid AV instead..? any recommendations..? ;p

I'm not sure if it's the antivirus. More likely the Firewall & IDS modules. You could try and disable the firewall and IDS and see if that solves it. If it does, it means you could disable/uninstall (I'm not sure how that works) these 2 components, keep the antivirus and just use another firewall.

There may be some settings to tweak inside the KIS software to let BC run but, as I said, I don't have KIS so I can't tell you something specific. And I haven't found anything, so far, on their forum. But then again, I haven't done an extensive search. You might want to check their FAQ to see if you find something. Or even start a topic on their forum about this (if you wish to keep the whole suite).

Have you tried the solution the other guy was talking about in one of those threads (the one with 2 rules for BC set in 2 different places)?

The great majority of customers do not benefit from, and generally should not use, any third-party firewall at all. That's an old rant, but the firewall that comes with Windows is perfectly functional and is all most people will ever need. BitComet can be set to use ICF, which will open and close its listen port in the Windows firewall automatically.

If you think you've just GOT to have one, for some reason, then try the free offerings from Commodo or Kerio.

There are freeware antivirus utilities out there too. AVG is very popular. I have my reservations about some of their policies, but that doesn't affect virus detection.

There is a good malware scanner from AntiMalwareBytes, that you should install and autostart with Windows. It has an annoying new feature which pops up a balloon notice when you've contacted a supposedly "bad" website, but this useless thing can be disabled in its settings. It comes back when you reboot, so if you reboot frequently, there's a registry hack to shut it up permanently. You can find that on their forum.

I'm not sure if it's the antivirus. More likely the Firewall & IDS modules. You could try and disable the firewall and IDS and see if that solves it. If it does, it means you could disable/uninstall (I'm not sure how that works) these 2 components, keep the antivirus and just use another firewall.

There may be some settings to tweak inside the KIS software to let BC run but, as I said, I don't have KIS so I can't tell you something specific. And I haven't found anything, so far, on their forum. But then again, I haven't done an extensive search. You might want to check their FAQ to see if you find something. Or even start a topic on their forum about this (if you wish to keep the whole suite).

Have you tried the solution the other guy was talking about in one of those threads (the one with 2 rules for BC set in 2 different places)?

i've checked it out but the KIS2010 has a different interface and i'm quite hesitant to change most of the settings lest i ruin everything. but just to note that i've removed all restrictions that i could think of for Bitcomet. i added it in the exceptions list, changed its status to trusted and given it all permissions and stuff.

The great majority of customers do not benefit from, and generally should not use, any third-party firewall at all. That's an old rant, but the firewall that comes with Windows is perfectly functional and is all most people will ever need. BitComet can be set to use ICF, which will open and close its listen port in the Windows firewall automatically.

If you think you've just GOT to have one, for some reason, then try the free offerings from Commodo or Kerio.

There are freeware antivirus utilities out there too. AVG is very popular. I have my reservations about some of their policies, but that doesn't affect virus detection.

There is a good malware scanner from AntiMalwareBytes, that you should install and autostart with Windows. It has an annoying new feature which pops up a balloon notice when you've contacted a supposedly "bad" website, but this useless thing can be disabled in its settings. It comes back when you reboot, so if you reboot frequently, there's a registry hack to shut it up permanently. You can find that on their forum.

thanks for the suggestions but i actually tried those softwares before. also i used to be an AVG supporter 'cause it doesn't bother my downloading using Bitcomet 'till way too many nasty and unwanted programs got into my system (slightly poor detection rate) which lead me to reformat my harddrive. i guess i'll have to wait for either a new version of Bitcomet, maybe then KIS will allow it to run or an new version of KIS. i'm just frustrated due to the fact that everything was ok about 4 days ago and i've been using KIS for months without any problems. perhaps the update ruined it. :(

AVG's job is to catch viruses. It's very good at that. There is a whole host of malware which is not any sort of virus, and no product detects all malware. That's why you need Malwarebytes in addition to whatever antivirus you use. It's also why running AdAware and Spybot S&D, plus a rootkit detector, needs to be part of your regular monthly computer hygiene, despite having an antivirus program.

If you were relying on AVG antivirus alone to do the job that the several components of KIS do, it's not surprising that a lot of things got through. KIS is supposed to protect you, not make your life harder than it already is.

As you can see in the links I've gave you, it is not only BitComet that got screwed by KIS but some other major BT clients, too. And some of the topics are 2 years old! If the topics were on their forum and they weren't fixed by now (unless there is a fix in their FAQ or Help which you need to search for) I wouldn't count very much on them fixing it. It would be more likely sheer luck if it works with a future version of either applications.

As I said, the fastest thing for you to do in order to troubleshoot, is to disable the firewall and IDS components, reboot and see if you still get trouble. If you don't then you could enable each one of them in turn, thus finding out which component screws with BC. After that you'll know, at least, what component's settings need special attention or at leas post a bug report on their forum/site.

Another thing worth doing, would be an extensive search of their help and forum database for similar problems and eventual solutions. If you come up with nothing then just star a topic on their forum and ask for help regarding this matter. Maybe they'll let you into some obscure tweaking which will make it work.

Other than that, if you're keen on keeping the whole KIS suit running, you can just wait to miraculously fix itself.

i already tried those but unfortunately they didn't work. i also found out that it wasn't only BC that was being shut down but my other programs as well. i got a little time left before my licence for KIS expires. i guess i wouldn't need to renew it. i think i'd better have another look at those softwares kluelos suggested. anyway, guys, thanks for replying and trying to help me. i really appreciate it.

p.s. guys, you can consider this topic closed :)

Edited by cassie (see edit history)