To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Problems downloading audio from Last.fm.

Because cassie was friendly in asking, I am doing as she requested and moving my question here. I'm obviously new to the forums and don't know its "norms" yet. I apologize if I broke them.

When I try to download music files from Last.fm, I get a 0 byte file. The file is actually not downloaded even though it says it has been. Any idea why this is happening? I am right clicking and selecting the 128.mp3 file in the context menu.

I am using Comet Bird 3.5.3 on Windows 7 using a cable interent connection. Please let me know what other information might be helpful in problem solving this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps this is a "duh" resolution, but I discovered what I was doing wrong. I wasn't waiting until the file had completely finished playing before I tried to download it. If I tried to download it before it completed playing, I would get the 0 kb file. If I am more patient and wait for it to complete playing, it downloads correctly.

So if you're having the same problem and are impatient, like me, just wait until the file has completed playing before trying to download it. ;) Hopefully, my stupidity will help someone else out there.

Actually, that was specified twice in sophia's guide-topic where you posted initially.

4. After the video/Audio/Flash finished playing, please right-click and select...
NOTE: Please do remember to Play the video first and then right-click in the area outside the video frame...

Thanks, grey, for kicking me when I'm down. Y'all are so friendly here. :blink:

Can administrators edit their posts without the edit showing up on the post? I ask because I looked at that post earlier today to see if I had read it incorrectly. At that time, I still didn't see where it said "finished". I may be wrong and simply skimmed too fast. If that's the case, I apologize for being such an f'n pain to you guys. ;)

UPDATE: I did a Google Cache search and as of November 10th, this is what the post greywizard is referring to said:

4. After the video/Audio/Flash being played, please right-click and select Download Media Files in the menu list.

You'll note, nowhere does it say "finished". I interpreted this and the other quote you site as I could download anytime after the file had begun to play. Apparently, somebody agreed that the language was unclear since they changed it.

Edited by Progressive Multiverse (see edit history)

Nobody is kicking you, you've got to stop being so defensive. Lighten up a bit.

Actually, it was me who edited that topic, today, after reading your post, because I saw that it gave room for misinterpretation, as you yourself point out.

I've added and emphasized the "finished" word, as you can see in the quote, just to clear out for you, what the meaning of the phrase was, not to oppose it to your previous post. If that's what it looks like, I'm sorry, that was not my intention on this case.

I was merely pointing out that you misunderstood the sense of the instructions.

But I wouldn't go so far as defining that as "being down". ;)

That's the "beauty" of human communication; you can never be sure that what you say or write will be understood just exactly how you meant it to be.

Thanks for the clarification, greywizard. :)

I'm used to debating on sometimes combative political sites. When I saw your post, I interpreted it as you questioning my reading comprehension skills. I had already called myself stupid in my reply to my original question so I thought you pointing out I was stupid (my word, not yours), again, was "piling on". ;)

I apologize if I misunderstood your intentions.

Edited by Progressive Multiverse (see edit history)