To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

i lost all my downloads

lbailey

i'm not sure what happened but i had lost all my downloads in bitcomet. i have all the files in my c: downloads, but i have no idea how to put them back in to bitcomet to finish all of my downloads... thank you kindly

(Mod Edit - posting your personal e-mail address in a public forum is not the best idea in the world...)

Edited by cassie
e-mail address hidden, for privacy reasons (see edit history)

i'm sure thats what happened to me... everything in my bitcomet all downloads it was blank i was so mad i had so much waiting to download but there all gone and not even done. so now neither one of us are downloading what we had choce. i did go to my c: downloads and everything is there but i so much hope theres a way to get them to download again. someone please kindly help us as soon as possable.

Well, if you read that post you should have answered to it, isn't it?

It's the polite way to go, when someone addresses your problem. Unless you like talking by yourself. B)

If that couldn't enlighten you how to fix your problem then here's how it goes.

At the top of this section of the forum there is a READ THIS before posting announcement. That is the minimum amount of information necessary before we can even begin to understand what your setup might be.

After reading and providing that info, also post a detailed explanation of what your problem is, how did you come to that, when did it occur, what changed into your system before that which might have triggered the problem and last but not least, what exact steps did you take to remedy your problem.

Only then, you can get an answer here. That's because, obviously, you need a different level of hand-holding. And we can't do that unless you reach.

We're no magicians who can look from distance into your computers. Otherwise we would, probably, be working for the NSA already. ;)

hi this is lbailey, i had read your info that you sent me but i'm afraid i dont understand it. i wish i could because i really need my downloads back to the way it was. i did download the new version of bitcomey 1.16. i'm running windows vista 32 bit home premium, i have dsl internet, i'm running system mechanic pro firewall and anti virus.i'm sure you have the brains to fix this problem but i'm bipolar and i have a hard time.if you could just tell me what to do step by step then i can get back to you to tell you if it worked or not. please help. lbailey

OK. If that part is working than it seems like your loss of the tasklist was an accident.

So, I assume it is safe to restore the tasks in the tasklist. I'll just copy-paste from the Wiki FAQ the part which concerns you so try and use either of the solutions below:

• Check the Torrent Share-> Torrent Archive. The Torrent Share list may have all of your previously downloaded torrents, unless you disabled this feature or deleted that torrent from the share list... Select the torrents that existed as tasks before your BitComet shutdown, one by one. Double-click the selected torrent and a popup dialog will warn: "The task you want to view is removed, do you want to download again? " Click "Yes" and choose the same destination for the downloaded file and click "download now" to continue. BitComet will do a hash-check automatically then and after the hash-check is finished, BitComet will start downloading those unfinished tasks.
  • Try recreating the task list from the /Torrents subfolder. BitComet keeps copies of the torrents for current tasks, in this folder. Copy the entire folder somewhere else for backup. Try to re-add each torrent as a new task, making sure to hash=check it after you add it but before you start it. You *should* be able to recover your entire task list this way.

If you choose to pursue either of them and feel there is something you don't understand, feel free to ask for clarifications.

hi grey wizard thank you i had found 311 files i was sharring but before i updated bitcomet i had over 1200. i dont know where they are. but everything in c: downloads is still there. is there a way to do everything from my c: downloads??? thank you larry...

There isn't, unfortunately.

Every transfer has two parts - the material to be transferred, and the .torrent file which is relatively very small, but provides vital information. You have the material in question, but do not have the .torrent files in c;\Downloads. You cannot effectively recreate the .torrents, because they will have different SHA5 hash indexes, and that index is how torrents are uniquely identified. It will be a different torrent. You can upload that torrent to a tracker and seed it, but you will not be seeding the original.

The torrent archive contains every torrent that you've started since you began with a version of BitComet that supported archiving. As you've found, this can be quite large. You must also deal with the archive via the BitComet menu only.

The /torrents subfolder will have all of the .torrent files that you were actually transferring when you stopped. Once a torrent is finished and you remove the task from the list, this copy of the .torrent is deleted. This subfolder may offer more promise in recreating your list.

While the idea of keeping hundreds of tasks alive is laudable, your connection can only support the actual transfer of two or three of them at a time -- and that's provided you aren't downloading also. It's not much good to offer a torrent when your maximum upload speed for it is tiny.

If three or four peers are trying to download three or four different torrents you're seeding, each one of them is going to get a miniscule chunk of your bandwidth, so get a tiny download rate and a task that won't finish for a month. Most people will probably drop rather than deal with a download that takes so long. If you do have a lot of torrents that you're keeping alive, you need to be prepared to jump on any of them that wake up and get a downloader, give the awakened torrent the bandwidth it needs to transfer in a reasonable time.

If you can't do that, or won't, or don't have the bandwidth, then you really aren't keeping anything alive and may as well not bother.

thank you so so much greywizard you were a lifesaver, although i could not get all my files back but at least i have learned something from you and thanks, also for your time and patience with me, i know i'm a bit slow but you answered my every question and that to me means your a very special guy. larry....