To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

standby settings affecting download

3ntrepreneur

Hi,

If I leave my PC unattended for 10 minutes or so it seems to go into some sort of standby mode. I have to click the mouse and then select my user account again and the pc fires back into life. This is impacting my downloads as I have to be in frotn of the pC all of the time. Any suggestions how I can fix this so that my downloads can continue without interuption?

Thank you,

3ntrepreneur

... I have to click the mouse and then select my user account again and the pc fires back into life.

Does your computer really go into sleep mode (i.e. all fans stopped, no hdd activity, display turned off)?

Because usually you don't come back from suspend mode just by clicking the mouse.

Or it's just your screen saver which is set to ask for your password before resuming?

It would be really good, when it comes to operating system questions, to know which operating system you are using.

You said that you had to click on your username. Are there other usernames being shown too, and if there are, what happens after you click on one of the others?

Oh, I'm running XP and it is a screen saver issue. When I press my user again then my session pops back into life. If I selected another user i starts that user up from scratch whereas it merely resumes my session.

I think you are going to say that the screen saver scenario is ok but the problem is that my Internet session seems to hang and I have to stop and start this for it to start downloading again.

Thanks.

Right-click on an empty space on your desktop and choose "Properties".

In the dialog box which opens, click on the "Screen Saver" tab. There, uncheck "On resume, display Welcome screen". You can even disable the screen saver by choosing "(None)".

But the screen saver shouldn't kill your Internet connection. Something seems wrong with your setup.

When I press my user again then my session pops back into life. If I selected another user i starts that user up from scratch whereas it merely resumes my session.

That doesn't sound like a screensaver to me. It sounds like the windows logon screen. Most screensavers don't permit changing user accounts as an option to the wake-up process. That's a completely separate operation.