To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Bitcomet Vista Slow Downloads

Hi i recently just switched over to Windows Vista sp2 and i'm getting really slow download speeds. I've been using bitcomet for a while now. On my other windows xp computer i usually got 250-400kb/s speeds. After setting everything up on this PC i'm only getting 40-80kb/s speeds. Let me tell you my set up. I have a modem and a wireless N router connected to my other computer. On this computer i'm using my wireless G adapter to connect to the internet. On this computer i did what i thought i was supposed to. Limit my upload rate, configure other settings and port forward. On this wireless adapter i port forwarded a diff port number than the one i use for my router. I'm not sure if that's what i'm supposed to do. On XP i also did the TCP IP patch to get faster speeds, but from my understanding, you can't do that on Vista. Or at least i don't know how. Can anyone help a new Vista user out getting to normal speeds?

You did not mention anything about setting up a static IP to connect between the computer and the router (wireless or not). This is an essential step, because if you don't, the IP address you get each time you connect can change, which means that the computer moves out from under the address that the port is opened for.

It's the combination of IP address + port, that must be unique. You can use the same port for each provided the IP addresses are different. (If the IP addresses are the same, you're going to have all kinds of strange problems should you ever try to use both computers at once. Don't do that.)

You did not mention anything about setting up a static IP to connect between the computer and the router (wireless or not)...

i did set up a static IP on the computer that's connected to the wireless router. And i did set up the Satic IP on the computer i'm using right now. (the one with the adapter) however i'm not using the same port. i set up a new port and static IP.

Edited by greywizard
Removed full qutation (see edit history)

On this wireless adapter i port forwarded a diff port number than the one i use for my router.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. You cannot forward a port, except in a NAT router.

In no case on a network adapter. Maybe you mean you opened a port in the Windows firewall.

The thing is that you have to forward on the router, the port number you have set for BC and opened in the firewall on the new computer, towards the static IP address that you set for your new computer. That is, the port in BC should be the same as in your software firewall and as on your NAT router and the local IP linked to that port in your router forwarding page, should be the static IP of your computer.

If your head's spinning go and read here: Add Port Mapping in NAT Router.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. You cannot forward a port, except in a NAT router...

i think i understand. i'm supposed to set up the static IP of my new computer on my router's page with the same port that i have opened on my old computer and windows firewall?

[Edit]

No not the same port. Open the port in windows firewall on my new PC and open the port in my router's page?

Edited by greywizard

Firewalls are like gates. If one gate is closed, then the path is blocked no matter whether any other gates are open or closed. All of the gates must be open.

One gate is the firmware firewall on your router. Since most routers will open a port only to a specific IP address, then your computer must be AT that address. This is the reason for the static IP. Opening a port for one IP address does not open it for others. Most firewalls will not do this because it represents a huge security hole that is easily exploited. You must configure it for each connected computer individually.

Another gate is the software firewall on your computer. For this one, the port by number must be opened. This is NOT the same as allowing the application to access the internet because that's for outbound traffic. Opening the port concerns unsolicited inbound traffic. You might have more than one software firewall. If you do, you are not safer, you just have more headaches. They must all be properly configured.

If you are using the built=in windows firewall and have enabled ICF in BitComet's settings, then it will open and close the needed port for you automatically. If you are using a 3rd-party firewall, then you must configure it manually. It is quite possible, and frequently happens that people have multiple software firewalls they are

unaware of.

Some of what you said makes me think that you have a wireless adapter that is separate from your router. That would be odd, because most wireless routers will also function as wired routers and there's no point to having both. But if you indeed have a separate WAP, it may also have a firewall that has to be configured. This setup is much trickier, so I won't go into that unless it's definitely what you have.

i think i understand. i'm supposed to set up the static IP of my new computer on my router's page with the same port that i have opened on my old computer and windows firewall?

NO!!!! Setting the same port for 2 different IPs will result in only one of the being able to use it when they are online at the same time.

No not the same port. Open the port in windows firewall on my new PC and open the port in my router's page?

Yes, that's what I said. Your BitComet listen port, the one opened in the firewall (under normal circumstances automatically) and the one set on your router should be the same. And should be forwarded on the router towards your PC's IP.

*** Please, quote only the section of the message you're referring to. ***

Some of what you said makes me think that you have a wireless adapter that is separate from your router. That would be odd, because most wireless routers will also function as wired routers and there's no point to having both. But if you indeed have a separate WAP, it may also have a firewall that has to be configured. This setup is much trickier, so I won't go into that unless it's definitely what you have.

i don't quite understand what you mean by wireless routers also functioning as wired routers. let me explain to you my set up. i have my first computer that is connected to a modem and the modem is connected to the wireless router. Then i have this new computer in a seperate room. So i have a wirelss adapter to connect to the internet.

Edited by greywizard

The cable from the modem is plugged into the "modem" jack. There is no WAN or LAN. And i guess i did miss that part didn't I.

1. Bitcomet 1.16

2. DSL

3. Models already posted

4. Windows Vista Home Premium x64. Windows Firewall. Windows Defender

6. Speed Test: 3 Mb/s Download .47 Mb/s Upload

Edited by cassie (see edit history)

The cable from the modem is plugged into the "modem" jack. There is no WAN or LAN. And i guess i did miss that part didn't I.

That is most illogical.

Unless I'm missing something the Belkin wireless router is not a modem, too. Therefore, how can the cable which is coming from the modem towards the wireless router, be plugged in the "modem" jack?

I'm asking you how are the 2 devices connected? What is unclear about that?

OK, I guess that slowly, step by step, we'll manage to figure out your setup by Christmas.

So, here goes AGAIN my previous question. In what type of jack (WAN or LAN) on the wireless router is plugged the cable coming from the modem?

Words seem to come very expensive in where you live.

Furthermore, to which one of the two routers is your other computer (XP) connected? To the modem/router or the wireless one?

OK, I guess that slowly, step by step, we'll manage to figure out your setup by Christmas.

So, here goes AGAIN my previous question. In what type of jack (WAN or LAN) on the wireless router is plugged the cable coming from the modem?

Words seem to come very expensive in where you live.

Furthermore, to which one of the two routers is your other computer (XP) connected? To the modem/router or the wireless one?

first of all you need to calm your tone. I do not know who you think your talking to. There is no reason why you should be talking to me like that. Do not get smart with me and calm your a** down. You seem to assume that everyone is some kind of computer guru. I do not know what a WAN or LAN jack is. Are they supposed to be labeled because i do not see them. My XP computer is connected to the modem/router and the Vista is connected to the wireless adapter.

Edited by Realkilla789 (see edit history)

Realkilla, you blithely tell us,

There is no WAN or LAN.

Now, we know that's simply not true. Yet, here you are, telling us it's so. You're not a computer guru? That's fine, But then stop acting like one. You don't know what a LAN or WAN jack is? Ok, then just ask. But don't tell us that you certainly don't have one when you don't even know what they are.

All that you needed to do (and, despite numerous requests, STILL need to do, is to explain your nonstandard network setup. We are having to guess what it is, when you should have explained this in your first post and not force us to drag it out of you piece by piece.

Frankly, your attitude bites. Do you always treat people who try to help you, in this shabby, mannerless way? You're a boor, and I certainly don't intend to lift a finger to give you any further assistance. You've probably alienated Wiz past the point he'll tolerate, too. We are unpaid volunteers who donate our time, gratis, to try to help other people, for free, supporting them in using a free product.

Wiz thinks he's talking to somebody who pretends to know a great deal more than they actually do, somebody who has to be told something several times before they'll pay attention, asked several times before they'll provide basic info that should have been provided in the first message, somebody with a very juvenile attitude and a huge sense of entitlement that isn't deserved.

We will happily refund your full purchase price and all of your support fees, so kindly go pay a network tech her hourly fee to solve the network problem which you created for yourself.

first of all you need to calm your tone.

So, what exactly is my tone?

Le me enlighten you: My tone is extremely calm, given the conditions. You haven't even begun to see my dark side.

Trust me you don't wanna go there. I usually track down people by their IPs and just put a bullet in their heads. B)

I do not know who you think your talking to.

But to get more serious, I'll tell you to whom I think I'm talking.

• I'm talking to a person who doesn't care to lift a finger in order to get any help and acts as if we were paid and supposed to do all that it is in our power and even more, to solve his/her problem.
  • I'm talking to someone who doesn't even bother to first read the forum's posting rules and provide the required information, accordingly.
  • I'm talking to someone who's too lazy to give a straight and complete answer to any questions asked but instead responds from the tip of his/her lips and seemingly with the head half-turned in other direction; as if we were nagging you with all these useless questions instead of just ringing the d*mn bell at your door and come fix your problem.
    That is extremely rude.
    By the way, it may come as a shock to you but every moderator on every forum literally hates having to constantly write longer posts that yours, just to ask for the information you should have provided in the first post.
    We usually don't tell you to go RTFM as many others do; nonetheless I do understand the urge.
  • I'm talking to someone who instead of telling us from the first time, that s/he is a noob in networking/computing matters (so that we can deal with her/him accordingly) dragged and waisted our time pointlessly, until now.
  • I'm talking to someone who doesn't give a d*mn about the forum moderator's requests (You have had 3 full quotations edited out of your posts, and have been warned about that, haven't you? And yet, here you come the 4th time and do the same thing again. That says quite a lot about the way you're looking down on this forum's moderators.)

There is no reason why you should be talking to me like that.

Oh, really? Like what? <_<

I believe that the standing proof of my courtesy so far, are my previous 6 posts, despite your ignoring most of rules of posting on any forum.

Do not get smart with me ...

Well, trust me, I've tried to get as dumb as I can go with you, just to make you understand; apparently that wasn't far enough.

You seem to assume that everyone is some kind of computer guru.

I most certainly don't. But everyone who isn't just tells us so, instead of wasting our time.

Therefore, I can promise with the utmost confidence that I won't be upsetting your sensible stomach anymore, with my seemingly disturbing "attitude".

I'll just be doing myself a service at the same time.

Alright so if my research was right. There are 4 LAN or "wired" jacks. And one WAN or "modem" jack. My modem is connected to the WAN jack on the router. And then i have a cable coming from one of the "LAN" jacks to the XP computer

And i apologize. You guys are absolutely right. If there is still information that you guys are missing from me tell me and I'll get it to you.

Edited by Realkilla789 (see edit history)