To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Torrent Archives

tvwwer

I just noticed the torrent archive and it has been saving up all of my torrents. I would like my privacy so i would like to know is there any way that you can disable the torrent archives. I mean i have torrent share disabled if thats related and why the h*** is there no option to disable it in the 1st place unless im missing something. The only help i have received from the support pages is that you have to PERIODICALLY delete it and you can't even delete it while the torrent is downloading becauase it comes back on the next startup UNLESS you finish that particular torrent. I thought bitcomet was the best until i saw this (which im guessing is new feature) i can understand its helpful to some people but not to me and forcing it on me sux.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by tvwwer (see edit history)

One post is enough. You needn't post the same question twice.

I just noticed the torrent archive and it has been saving up all of my torrents.

Where did you notice the saved torrents? In the interface under Torrent Share? Or are you talking about the archive folder itself?

If you have disabled Torrent Share your torrents will not be saved in the archive. But disabling it won't automatically remove all the previous saved torrents. It will just disable sharing them with other users and saving any other new ones.

If you want the torrents gone selected all of them in the Torrent Archive window, right-click and choose "Remove". It will remove the torrents from the archive folder. Or just go in the archive folder and delete them manually if you are a control freak. That's about Torrent Share.

Maybe you are aware though, that your BC client also saves the .torrent files in its /torrents folder too (irrespective if Torrent Share is enabled or disabled). That's an entirely different thing.

Any BitTorrent client needs the .torrent file for the duration while that task is active (downloading or seeding). However, when you delete the task from BC that deletes the .torrent file from the /torrents folder. Alas, in some circumstances, it might happen that some torrents are left in the folder, of which BC has no knowledge whatsoever (one example would be, when you load a different downloads.xml list).

Probably, that's what you saw written, about periodically checking to see if there are any leftovers. But you can verify for yourself if that works; just open the /torrents folder and pick a .torrent file which has a running task in BitComet. Delete the task in BitComet's tasklist and you'll see that the .torrent file gets deleted too automatically. Furthermore, if you choose "Remove from Torrent Archive also" it will get deleted from the Torrent Share archive too, even if Torrent Sharing is enabled.

The only help i have received from the support pages is that you have to PERIODICALLY delete it and you can't even delete it while the torrent is downloading becauase it comes back on the next startup UNLESS you finish that particular torrent.

A deleted torrent can't "come back" (unless there is some dark magic involved) because a .torrent file it's simply a file. Once deleted it's gone. I'm sure that wherever you read that, you either misunderstood what you read or there was talk about something different.

Anyway, could you point us to those support pages you mention?

Maybe there is some outdated/ambiguous information there, which needs editing.

Where did you notice the saved torrents?...

Yea i'm talking about the "torrent archive" under the category of "torrent share" in the client. The "torrent archive" info is in this site http://wiki.bitcomet.com/Torrent_Share_and_Torrent_Archive#What_is_.22Torrent_Archive.22.3F

under the title What is "torrent archive"

and it gives info about torrent archive which is basically a COPY of my torrent files (which i've openend from internet). I know for sure that the /torrents folder is needed for downloading and seeding but what is the point of using the /archives folder other then using it when you have accidently deleted a torrent and you got a copy instead of searching for the internet for it again. The point is i don't want to have the use of torrent ARCHIVE but it forces it on me anyway everytime i download a new torrent.

The only help i have received from the support pages is that you have to PERIODICALLY delete it and you can't even delete it while the torrent is downloading becauase it comes back on the next startup UNLESS you finish that particular torrent...

This may have been misunderstood in my OP but what i'm talking about is like say i'm downloading Harry Potter torrent. It shows up in the downloading tab in the client which means that a torrent file would appear in the /torrents folder for downloading while also having a copy of the torrent in the /archives folder while also showing the copied torrent in the archives TAB in the client. Now i go to "torrent archives" in bitcomet and delete the extra torrent exit bitcomet then restart and it just comes back again which means that the torrent copies itself again from the /torrents folder to /archives yet again until you delete /torrents and then you can choose to delete the torrent from the /archives.

BOTTOM POINT. I want some way to disable torrent archive (aka /archives folder) as to not having torrents saved and the only way to get rid is just periodically delete them AFTER your task is finished. I mean this feature wasn't here in the previous versions of bitcomet but not they just force it on us?

Hope you understand and thx for help. It's appreciated.

Edited by greywizard
Removed full qutation (see edit history)

Unfortunately, it seems that all torrents are copied to the /archive folder even if torrent sharing is disabled -- at least, it is on 1.15. (1.16 crashes far too often to be useable, for me.) This sounds like a defect that needs to be fixed.

If torrent sharing is disabled, then the /archive folder only constitutes a small and unnecessary extra storage on the disk. Its contents aren't shown to or shared with anybody. The torrents are not stored under their names, only under their hash numbers in that directory, so no one can just look there to see what they are. So this is not as big a deal as it might at first seem.

----

If the torrent task still exists when you delete the copy in the /archive directory, then that torrent will be re-created in the archive directory by the task when it next runs/continues. It is only when the task is deleted, that deleting the archive of it will be permanent.

----

I agree with tvvwer, though, that the customer ought to be able to shut the whole thing and all of its consequences off, and not store anything new anywhere.

BitComet is funny about things like this, they just don't seem to see any harm in it. Like not being able to delete/erase a CometMarks account, they just don't seem to understand why anyone would ever want to, so they won't implement the feature and don't get why it's such a complete turn=off for many people. I guess that's cultural.

It seems more like a bug to me. I'm not sure if it was intended to work this way in the new versions, since you say that it didn't do that in the older ones.

Because it's odd and mostly pointless to recreate torrent files in the archive when Torrent Share is disabled.

It should, probably, even offer to clean the archive for you when you choose to disable Torrent Share and, more important, to leave it the way it was when it got disabled.

As I've always kept it enabled, I didn't trap this error until now.

This should be reported to the team.

It seems more like a bug to me...

Yea, i meant that the older versions didn't have the "torrent archive" feature period. This is like some new feature forced upon those who doesn't want torrent share. I mean heck it's even under the torrent share category yet it doesn't completely disable "torrent archive" (also it gives you the option to share it too) even though i have disabled torrent share.

and another thing you said that it needs to be reported to the team. How about you report it :P :D

Oh and another thing i just found out my version is 1.13 maybe i'll try 1.15 like the above poster said.

P.S. Torrent archive problem still exists and its annoying me >.<

Edited by greywizard
Removed full qutation (see edit history)

This is like some new feature forced upon those who doesn't want torrent share.

It's not forced. It just doesn't work exactly as it's supposed to. If it didn't still save those torrents it wouldn't bother you.

I mean heck it's even under the torrent share category yet it doesn't completely disable "torrent archive"

That's because it doesn't automatically delete all the torrents inside, so I'd say it's a good thing it doesn't hide the Archive category. That way you can see that you still have some torrents left in your archive.

(also it gives you the option to share it too) even though i have disabled torrent share.

I'm not sure what you mean by this one.

and another thing you said that it needs to be reported to the team. How about you report it :P :D

That last sentence was addressed to kluelos. ;)

P.S. Torrent archive problem still exists and its annoying me >.<

The bug still exists in v.1.16, so you needn't bother with other older versions. The only thing I can think of for the moment, if you wish to keep using BC and to have your archive folder clean, is to run a small .bat script immediately after starting BC which will clean your archive folder for you.

It's rather primitive, I know. But until another version comes out which will fix this...

Or switch to another BT client if you totally wish to forget about the whole thing, for now.

well nothing to do but to hope they fix it. My computer is actually used by like 3 ppl so i like to have some privacy on what i download and stuff. The torrent archives kinda ruins it. So i guess i just hope the staff fixes it and i just need to make a habit of just clearing my archives.

But i'm glad you refer to this thing as a bug and you're a tech support :o so i'm guessing this thing will get fixed sometime soon.

Thanks for help